2019 Fungi / Wild Eats

PREDATE

With Mushroom season a week or so away I figured I'd kick off a new thread.

I'm more than ready to start wading through the ticks and skeeters to hunt for some delicious mushrooms(and turkeys).

I want to encourage you all to get out there and explore. Even if you're uneasy about consuming wild eats, I'd love to see some pics.

Have fun. Be safe and as always, when in doubt throw it out!!!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

No morels yet, but a quick search last night brought my first fresh mushroom find of the year.
Some young Pheasant Backs. I will harvest soon as they are best when they are young and tender. If left to mature they will often turn as tough as leather. They have quite an interesting taste that closely resembles cucumber. I like to slice into 3/16" strips then give them a short boil before throwing them into some pickle juice. These mushrooms can often be found in abundance, but I don't normally harvest a whole lot since they are merely an occasional snack for me.3bbd364d2b7873bb586e4c9cec3dfbaf.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to Predate I have eaten about 8 different varieties and live to tell the tale. The ones I find and eat really have no close look a like. My goal this year is to find my first morel- I hate searching an area and not knowing if they even exist there at all.
Hoping to poke around this weekend and bring home some ramps for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Thanks to Predate I have eaten about 8 different varieties and live to tell the tale. The ones I find and eat really have no close look a like. My goal this year is to find my first morel- I hate searching an area and not knowing if they even exist there at all.

I sent multiple pics to Predate with bold “ I won’t die right?” Lol

Never picked a ramp either, on my list as are morels. I feel like you.....is there any in a mile where I’m looking lol

• Like 1

Funny this topic should come up. I just returned from vacation in the Caribbean where I was offered a local mushroom variety, among other fine wild herbs. It tasted kind of shitty but I laughed about it for some reason.

Seriously.. I am looking forward to mushroom season this year. Hopefully Ill get out enough to find some.

• Like 1

I harvested some ramps on Saturday,  grilled them over charcoal with olive oil salt and pepper.  Delicious!  I pickled some last year and they were deleicious as well, planning to do a few more jars of that this year.

I did find morels last year while turkey hunting.  I fried them up and added them to an omelette. Pretty good too.  

• Like 5

If you successful morel people can snap a few pics when you first see them and maybe some of the surrounding trees I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe I can find some terrain that matches the pics and give me some greater motivation to find the elusive morels.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Otto said:

I harvested some ramps on Saturday,  grilled them over charcoal with olive oil salt and pepper.  Delicious!  I pickled some last year and they were deleicious as well, planning to do a few more jars of that this year.

I did find morels last year while turkey hunting.  I fried them up and added them to an omelette. Pretty good too.  

Care to share your pickling recipe?  There's a ton of ramps where I turkey hunt and I would like to stock up

10 hours ago, crappyice said:

If you successful morel people can snap a few pics when you first see them and maybe some of the surrounding trees I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe I can find some terrain that matches the pics and give me some greater motivation to find the elusive morels.

Just read this on Meateater:

http://www.themeateater.com/cook/foraging/the-meateater-guide-to-morel-mushroom-hunting?utm_source=MeatEater Subscribers&utm_campaign=7f1e43b13f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_04_24_03_39&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e4b2ec63b4-7f1e43b13f-56723747&mc_cid=7f1e43b13f&mc_eid=f6a0a9a58b

• Like 1

Been there, read that! And a ton of helpful, while general, info. But seeing what an actual hunter finds from their view is often more helpful than the “photo shoot” pics offered on pages like that. I’m not asking for your honey hole unless of course you want to share!

Hell, I’ll even come and pick with someone in the Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess area and not take any home just to see how and where and when these little beauties grow in this area.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:40 AM, PREDATE said:

That was 1 days haul and unfortunately for me, work kept me out of the woods for the remainder of the morel seasonemoji22.png

man,that is more morels than i would find in a month!! They hide too well in the leaves for my fading vision. I know a few spots,but they are sparsely populated,like 5 or 6 morels to a spot

• Like 1

They are out in force I grabbed a bunch last weekend

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, PREDATE said:

Here's a teaser pic from my morel haul last year. Looking to repeat this year!7fe3eb2d2ebb0aed4330b49e8d3e1cb6.jpg

That looks like the trophy table at the Third Annual Lorena Bobbitt Invitational....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3