2019 Fungi / Wild Eats

PREDATE

Quick hunt this afternoon. Filled my bag in about 30 minutes. Hoping the wife lets me sneak out tomorrow, with a bigger bag!4615117c6c05fce2a248535f9e5a34a3.jpg&key=32e1435aafd74245d1e6d849949e08e0d41752dd6913b7a460d694d8d5a83ff3

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

First of all...wow.
Secondly...my 2 hours today was in vain!!!!very little ground cover around the right trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PREDATE said:

Quick hunt this afternoon. Filled my bag in about 30 minutes. Hoping the wife lets me sneak out tomorrow, with a bigger bag!4615117c6c05fce2a248535f9e5a34a3.jpg

I am with crappy on this,holy bob!!! That is an awesome haul for 30 mins,congrats!

My brother and his son are coming to visit me from Germany on Monday,i think i will have to enlist them to the morel squad...Six eyes see more than two. This should be a great morel year because of the moisture,right?

• Like 2

What are these and are they edible?

752BD3EB-62E2-4999-B8F5-85CEABD3A063.thumb.jpeg.194f0845752f7dd80b05770038cc814b.jpeg
C8892805-D699-423D-B79E-A59BA392D1DE.thumb.jpeg.99fb1877788c907bc3ce3c07c5bc8556.jpeg
That's a Pheasant Back. Yes edible, but they can become ungodly tough and leathery with age. Taste like cucumber or watermelon rind.

• Like 3

I am with crappy on this,holy bob!!! That is an awesome haul for 30 mins,congrats!
My brother and his son are coming to visit me from Germany on Monday,i think i will have to enlist them to the morel squad...Six eyes see more than two. This should be a great morel year because of the moisture,right?

Yeah perfect weather season...tripping on morels like crazy!??!

• Like 1

And? Did you put a batter on them?

I did 3 batches. First one I battered then rolled through the dry batter mix. The coating was almost too much and the morel flavor was hidden. The next batch I just drug one side through the batter and that let the morel flavor come through a bit more, but not being fully coated allowed the mushroom to dry out. The third batch I just rolled through the dry batter mix and again the mushroom dried out.
They were all good, but the fully encapsulated ones allowed the morels to stay moist. I just need to lighten up my batter mix so it doesn't mask the mushroom flavor and soak up as much oil.

• Like 1

I wonder how just flour, salt and pepper would be?

That's kind of what I was thinking. When I made some only rolled in the dry batter mix they got pretty dry. If the cooking time was shortened, I'd bet they would have been the winner.
Like I mentioned, I'm not very vell versed in frying food and I know undercooked morels can lead to upset stomach so I played it safe and shallow fried them for the recommended 4 minutes per side.

That's kind of what I was thinking. When I made some only rolled in the dry batter mix they got pretty dry. If the cooking time was shortened, I'd bet they would have been the winner.
Like I mentioned, I'm not very vell versed in frying food and I know undercooked morels can lead to upset stomach so I played it safe and shallow fried them for the recommended 4 minutes per side.

Sounds like a light tempura batter would be the best if both worlds.

SO GLAD you found SO MANY that even if you F it up it barely puts a dent in the haul!

• Haha 1

Sounds like a light tempura batter would be the best if both worlds.

SO GLAD you found SO MANY that even if you F it up it barely puts a dent in the haul!

The Mrs. let me out for a couple hours today. Found 5 and some dryads saddle. I still say its a bit early. Weather is gonna be a bit chilly for a few more days which should keep them at bay til next weekend. I'd much rather a trickle season than a short one.
However, they are out there. So scour those south/west slopes.dcb7ce820dcd36c9ae6ae0b0982fb24b.jpg

• Like 2

de5d10297e0f58efa578d411c00bc79d.jpg&key=82538d23222cc4d448019ee61aa6dea73e3a2eef3f52fdef4308459f8466984d
No morels (shocker!) but these babies topped my steak tonight- sliced thin and cooked in ramp butter and white wine

Nice. How was it? I found one last weekend but passed on it.