2019 Fungi / Wild Eats

PREDATE

Of course I finally find these like this: 

7ffebf12dfe9fde7ebeb4cb762b61b90.jpg&key=1d79d08ad4fd1ab50203fdf8cc710dc01703118c69109a198a25ef229d07a387

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer.Remember, you're looking for that low/mid 50's soil temp so it's time to begin searching higher elevations and on all sides of hills. Good luck.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:33 AM, crappyice said:

Been there, read that! And a ton of helpful, while general, info. But seeing what an actual hunter finds from their view is often more helpful than the “photo shoot” pics offered on pages like that. I’m not asking for your honey hole unless of course you want to share!

Hell, I’ll even come and pick with someone in the Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess area and not take any home just to see how and where and when these little beauties grow in this area.

i'm not sure what you read, but there aren't pictures there. Just a general 101 on morels. I'm not a mushroom guy, but my wife is. After reading that I feel like i might spend an extra few minutes while walking through the turkey woods to see if I spot any.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:15 PM, PREDATE said:

Quick hunt this afternoon. Filled my bag in about 30 minutes. Hoping the wife lets me sneak out tomorrow, with a bigger bag!4615117c6c05fce2a248535f9e5a34a3.jpg

curious. what do you do with them all? I've heard they really need to be eaten close to picking. 

• Like 1

curious. what do you do with them all? I've heard they really need to be eaten close to picking. 
I eat some, give some away and dehydrate some.
Truth be told, morels aren't my favorite mushroom, but I enjoy them mostly for the hunt.

• Thanks 1

So which are your favorites?

That's a tough one as I have many favorites. They all have their own distinctive taste and texture.
>Cantharellus genus(chanterelles)
>Craterellus genus(black trumpets)
>Maitake(hen-of-the woods)
>Laetiporus Sulphureus / Laetiporus Cincinatus(chicken-of-the woods)
>Bi-color bolete
>Hereicum genus
>Shaggy mane
>Hedgehog
>Oyster
>Lobster
This year I hope to delve into the Lactarius genus(milk caps).

That's a tough one as I have many favorites. They all have their own distinctive taste and texture.
>Cantharellus genus(chanterelles)
>Craterellus genus(black trumpets)
>Maitake(hen-of-the woods)
>Laetiporus Sulphureus / Laetiporus Cincinatus(chicken-of-the woods)
>Bi-color bolete
>Hereicum genus
>Shaggy mane
>Hedgehog
>Oyster
>Lobster
This year I hope to delve into the Lactarius genus(milk caps).

So you pretty much like all mushrooms but morels?!?! You funny!

So you pretty much like all mushrooms but morels?!?! You funny!

I definitely don't scoff at morels. They do have a nice delicate flavor and texture, but there are many other mushrooms that have more robust mushroom flavor along with great texture.
Tbt I flat-out disliked Hen of the Woods for a number of years. Then a couple of years ago I gave them another chance and they are now in my top three favorites.

• Like 1

I definitely don't scoff at morels. They do have a nice delicate flavor and texture, but there are many other mushrooms that have more robust mushroom flavor along with great texture.
Tbt I flat-out disliked Hen of the Woods for a number of years. Then a couple of years ago I gave them another chance and they are now in my top three favorites.

Interesting- I thought morels must have a strong flavor (I WOULDNT KNOW!) since they are so sought after. I enjoy the hens last year and the chanterelles (I think- those are the orange trumpet ones right?)
Dryads are hit or miss and the oysters were good but not much flavor.
Giant Puffballs are NASTY!

Anyone ever hear about Wild Man Steve Brill? Mrs Crappy stumbled upon his foraging class being offered in MY woods (woods where I shed and shroom hunt in 3S-walking distance to my house). If not for baseball I would attend - 2.5 hour jaunt for $20

• Like 1