Roll Crimpers..

LET EM GROW

Hey All,

As some of you know I Handload my own turkey shells with Tungsten shot for my 20ga. Long story short In the move to the new house I lost my BP roll crimp tool. So yesterday I went online and found some pics of some that are produced and used across the world.. But with the pictures, there wasnt any rhyme or reason for the design etc... So On my couple breaks I made 2 of my own Crimp tools based off pics and combining ideas.... both are different styles, I was just curious if anyone here could enlighten me on what one looks for when using or picking out a roll crimp tool. The one tool i made with a nice radius in the bottom began to work, but the 4 pins I pressed in across the bottom interfered, since I believe I didnt give enough "lead in" to start pushing the hull in the right direction.. before it engaged with the pins..  Tested them both out last night and they failed.. The simpler looking tool has an adjustable center boss for depth of hull to the overshot card..

Today I made one more tool identical as the one with the 4 pins except i pushed the pins in deeper into the bottom so they engage more of the radius first, to start pushing the hull the direction it needs to go... I had read that the pins(more the better) help form a better crimp easier/quicker..  

Also, The original 4 pin tool, I removed the pins, deburred and will test it without the pins in to see if its not a complete waste, since the radius should have engaged earlier.. And the original simpler looking tool, I gave a radius instead of an angle back.. Since theyboth failed..

Sorry if this doesnt make sense,.. lol Kind of hard to explain. Just looking for some insight. If anyone here know and could chime in?

Thanks In Advance

20190424_142315.jpg

20190424_142344.jpg

20190424_142834.jpg

• Like 2

I dont use any lube. Was never told to use it. I think my main problem after further review, is the depth of the center boss is to high, not allowing the tool to do its job fully. IMO simple overlooked step. I have a drill press, as well as hand drill. Using the hand drill currently. 

Try this on a couple. Take a Q-tip, dip in a bit of WD-40. swab the OUTSIDE of the case from the lip to about 1/2" down. I find it really does make a difference.  

If you ever find that you want to do a crimp rather than a roll, and want to load low volume of shells. (I use it for slugs, buckshot and was going to load for turkey and waterfowl) This actually does a very very nice job. Some of the buckshot loads worked better with the crimp than rolling them. 

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/436640/lee-load-all-2-shotshell-press-12-gauge-2-3-4-3

• Like 1

I have one in 20ga too, it just sits in the box unopened. Lol. I just followed the recipe as it was given to me. Since it was proven and fairly high pressure. I didnt want to wander away from the process at all. But i do have a few other recipes that would work just fine in a loader. They dont require felts or anything. Not sur eif the loader would mess with the Mylar wraps at all too..

I made a new aluminum roll crimp tool yesterday, I didnt have time to test it last night, since my son was ill again. I will try the wd40 for sure. When you roll crimp, what is the desired excess hull length to roll over? the recipe calls for 1/4-3/8" remaining hull for crimp. Seems excessive to me.. like am 1/8-1/4" seems better.. 

7 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have one in 20ga too, it just sits in the box unopened. Lol. I just followed the recipe as it was given to me. Since it was proven and fairly high pressure. I didnt want to wander away from the process at all. But i do have a few other recipes that would work just fine in a loader. They dont require felts or anything. Not sur eif the loader would mess with the Mylar wraps at all too..

I made a new aluminum roll crimp tool yesterday, I didnt have time to test it last night, since my son was ill again. I will try the wd40 for sure. When you roll crimp, what is the desired excess hull length to roll over? the recipe calls for 1/4-3/8" remaining hull for crimp. Seems excessive to me.. like am 1/8-1/4" seems better.. 

It really depends on how much of the column you have used up. I had to add a couple shot cards on a couple loads becasue they sat too far down and I also only like to roll about 3/8"

On 4/26/2019 at 2:44 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It really depends on how much of the column you have used up. I had to add a couple shot cards on a couple loads becasue they sat too far down and I also only like to roll about 3/8"

I Try to keep the excess hull around 1/4" or a tad more long. I crimped with the new aluminum one this weekend and it worked quite well actually. Kinda impressed with it so far. Just need to get my hands on a new scale so i can load more, as well as a newly acquired recipe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally perfected the Roll crimp Tool i think. I started with a diameter just a few thousandths bigger than the hull itself, I then lead that "IN" with a 10degree taper. right into a .062" radius and an 1/8" roll pin to help push the roll crimp over.  works well. The only thing I may do different just for quality sake is use an even smaller radius at the bottom. 

To go along with that I made a simple cheap version of a hull vise. with interchangeable blocks for different gauge guns..  

20190503_110035.jpg

20190509_194752.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hey All,
As some of you know I Handload my own turkey shells with Tungsten shot for my 20ga. Long story short In the move to the new house I lost my BP roll crimp tool.

What did you think of the bpi roll crimper? I’m thinking of picking up there pro kit for coyote and turkey loads.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/mobile/BPI-Roll-Crimper-Hull-Vise-Pro-Kit/productinfo/SSPPRC/12GA%20EX/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

What did you think of the bpi roll crimper? I’m thinking of picking up there pro kit for coyote and turkey loads.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/mobile/BPI-Roll-Crimper-Hull-Vise-Pro-Kit/productinfo/SSPPRC/12GA%20EX/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I originally bought and it worked well. How bout I make you one or 2 and send it to you? You hooked me up, I can return a favor. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2