blackbeltbill

Roosting For The 1st Time Tuesday. Who Else?

I guess the closet, I have ever come to Roosting a Gobbler was a few times where, I stayed to 45 minutes before Sundown- heard a Gobble and Left. Hunt that general area the next morning and hope for the best.  Depending on the Rain late Tuesday Afternoon , I want to stay to Full Dark and let's see, If, I hear any Flyups with Gobbling in Trees. Who else will be out Roosting late Tuesday Afternoon?

• Like 1

I am hunting about 90 minutes away Wednesday so not going down before hand. Thursday and Friday I’m hunting local and may try and roost one. I’ve zero luck with it to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

I went to friends property  Thursday where I am.to call for him wed and Thursday.  He pointed where they usually roost to me and I took him under the trees and showed him where the Tom roost compared to hens by looking for droppings under the roost trees . 3 trees were Tom's or Jake's and 5 seemed to be only hens. . We then picked out 2 likely set up spots 50 to 60 yards from the roost area and cleared around trees.. was starting to get late so we left . I left instructions for him to rake out our entrance trail to set up spots for about 50 yards as leaving the access point was all leaves and very crunchy.. was not able to find any defined strutting area as lane was grass covered where I believe they should strut.. may try and roost Tuesday night but droppings show this is a very steady h es avidly used roost area ..

• Like 3

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

I'll be out Monday and Tuesday evening.  

Monday will be long range with binoculars. Tuesday, I'll be set up in a spot that has produced more often than not.  I want to know the limb he's wrapped his feet around.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’m 0-6 ish in roosting birds 

Might as well keep the streak going. :drinks:

• Like 1

I will be checking some spots on Tuesday evening with binos.  I just like to know which side of the hill they are on.  I started this mostly so I don't walk directly under a bunch of birds and get busted.

• Like 1

I think about 90% of the birds I've killed I've roosted the evening or two before 

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Roosted ain't roasted....

I haven't tried to roost turkeys much in the last few years, since I am hunting more static hunts days..

Back in the day, I did it a fair amount, with varied results.....I have roosted birds that never made a peep the next morning.. I have also  tried to locate roosted birds and heard NOTHING, and went back to the same spot the next morning to hear several birds gobbling...

If it works for you, fine... These days I am usually napping in my chair about roosting time..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Before, I (try) to Roost , I am going for a early morning hike on Public Ground  to a area about a 1 1/4 miles in. Anywhere from 2 to 3 Gobblers always roost in these same small stand of Trees in early May until the Pressure gets to them by May 3rd or 4th. Then they roost elsewhere.Might as well check as , I am up now at 3.22am.  Those 3 saw me move last early May...   More Coffee and out the door at 4am.

Back when I would roost turkeys I got pretty good at it. I learned a few things along the way. Knowing the area isn’t good enough, you wanna know the limb he’s on. Get in early and close, you want to be close way closer than many think. I’m talking 20-40yds from the tree he’s in, close enough for the bird to see your decoy from his limb. Don’t call until he gets antsy on his limb and be ready. If he hasn’t seen your decoy until you call there’s a very good probability he’s coming the second he sees the decoy so be ready! I quit roosting them years ago because my biggest problem was often I couldn’t shoot because it wasn’t yet legal shooting light.

As Pygmy said rooster ain’t roasted but if you know the limb he’s on and get set up an hr before the first thought of daylight and get in and setup without a flashlight and are wishing that 20-40yd window I would say it’s 50-50 if not better that that bird is coming to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Never in all my years been able to roost birds. Maybe it's too much hunting pressure... because every spring season at dusk I'm shocked by how many "owls" I hear. You hear them occasionally all times of the year, but the first week of turkey season it sounds like there's flocks of them. ;) 

• Like 1

Shooting an inline is like kissing your sister.