Bergara Rifles

Since I booked a pronghorn hunt for Oct., I figured it gave me an excuse to purchase a new firearm. ...as if I needed an excuse.:yahoo: I have at least 6 rifles in the safe right now perfectly suited for goats and muleys .

Anyway, I've been looking at the Bergara B14 Woodsman in 7-08. It meets my criteria for blued steel and walnut, and weighs in at 6.6 Lbs with a 22" bbl. With a VX2 2-7x33, it should be all in right at, or under, 7 1/4 lbs.They hype 1 moa accuracy guarantee, and lots of reviews seem to support it, though some do not. 

If anyone here on the forum has any experience or opinions, I'd be interested in your impressions. Also, would be interested in alternatives at the same price point, as long as they're blued steel and walnut. And, not the least interested in Tikka. Thanks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

Since I booked a pronghorn hunt for Oct., I figured it gave me an excuse to purchase a new firearm. ...as if I needed an excuse.:yahoo: I have at least 6 rifles in the safe right now perfectly suited for goats and muleys .

Anyway, I've been looking at the Bergara B14 Woodsman in 7-08. It meets my criteria for blued steel and walnut, and weighs in at 6.6 Lbs with a 22" bbl. With a VX2 2-7x33, it should be all in right at, or under, 7 1/4 lbs.They hype 1 moa accuracy guarantee, and lots of reviews seem to support it, though some do not. 

If anyone here on the forum has any experience or opinions, I'd be interested in your impressions. Also, would be interested in alternatives at the same price point, as long as they're blued steel and walnut. And, not the least interested in Tikka. Thanks. 

I love you, Man....

• Like 1

I'd be looking at a Kimber Classic Select Grade rifle as well.  It's in a little higher price point but worth it.  It will give you the same accuracy and looks far better IMHO.  It's also lighter.

Not sure if the factory offers it in 7mm-08 anymore, but there's plenty of new ones on www.gunbroker.com for sale at good prices.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2

My friend just won one in. 6.5 creedmore. Hes become the best shot ever with it.. its def the gun as I've seen him shoot others no where near as accurately.  Gun is worth the price .200 yard under a quarter size groups just bore sighted. A few shots and was dialed right in.

38 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

No matter what I was taking, with a hunt in October I would have had my gun dialed in by now with a lot more shooting to come. My suggestion...take one of the others that you are already confident in. 

I also would be "dialed in" by now and RTG but there's plenty of time left for the OP to get his ducks in a row with a new gun & glass.  It's an antelope hunt, not a desert sheep once in a lifetime tag. :)

An out of state hunt is a splendid reason to get a new rifle and the entire process is frosting on the cake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

No matter what I was taking, with a hunt in October I would have had my gun dialed in by now with a lot more shooting to come. My suggestion...take one of the others that you are already confident in. 

There's plenty of time. I'm retired and hit the range at least once a week. I could have it all sussed out and ready to go in less than 6 weeks much less 6 months.

• Like 3

Plenty of time to pick up a new firearm for a hunt six months away. 7mm-08 or 270 would be perfect for lopes IMO.

I have handled a couple Bergara's while at my local gun shop, and found them to be very nice looking and comfortable, though I've never shot one.

But I do have a Sako 85 Classic in 270 that would fit the bill for a hunt like you are going on. Walnut and blued steel, that shoots better than I am capable of. Smooth as churned butter. And as pretty as a beagle pup!

8 hours ago, Rattler said:

I'd be looking at a Kimber Classic Select Grade rifle as well.  It's in a little higher price point but worth it.  It will give you the same accuracy and looks far better IMHO.  It's also lighter.

Not sure if the factory offers it in 7mm-08 anymore, but there's plenty of new ones on www.gunbroker.com for sale at good prices.

I like that the Kimber Classic has traditional Mauser type controlled round feeding, just my personal preference. It's also lighter at 5.12. I see them new on GB in 7-08, even though their web sight doesn't show it. They're also available in 257 Roberts, one of my all time favs. Build quality is there and they sure are pretty to look at with that grade A French walnut and ebony tip. 

I haven't heard much about their accuracy potential. Do they have a reputation as being shooters? I'm not a long range game shooter for personal ethical reasons. I do shoot steel out to 600 yds  a few times a year with friends. If I was looking at a monster at 400 yds, and conditions were perfect, I'm sure I would take the shot. I much prefer to stay inside 300.

Hhmm....damn you, Rattler....

• Haha 1

Kimber has a sub-MOA guarantee on their rifles, and the Classic Select grade is like the rest of their rifles.  It has a match chamber, match grade trigger, free floating air gauged barrel and pillar bedded stock.  The trigger is about the best I've ever felt on a hunting rifle.  They are considered to be one of the best accuracy values for the money in hunting rifles.

I have 5 Kimber rifles and they are all match grade accurate.  From the .22 LR to the .375 H&H, they are the best shooters and hunting rifles in my battery.

BTW, they are made in Yonkers, NY.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

I started giving the Kimber Classic Select a good hard look. I kept waffling back and forth. I just saw that Buds has the Woodsman for $699 while they're selling all other calibers for $849. I took that as an omen and jumped in. Now I'm just hoping my luck holds out with the wood lottery.

• Like 1