Turkey hunting / ticks / permethrin reminder

turkeyfeathers

Spray your clothes folks. Well planned on spraying mine and daughters clothes tomorrow. Sat for a few hours this morning and on way home felt and found a tick crawling on my ring finger.  Never had one on me before. Yuk. Dang near crashed as it gave me the willies.  Tractor supply and Walmart carries Sawyers so spray down and stay safe. Yup I’m a dufus for scouting without spraying yet. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Spray your clothes folks. Well planned on spraying mine and daughters clothes tomorrow. Sat for a few hours this morning and on way home felt and found a tick crawling on my ring finger.  Never had one on me before. Yuk. Dang near crashed as it gave me the willies.  Tractor supply and Walmart carries Sawyers so spray down and stay safe. Yup I’m a dufus for scouting without spraying yet. 

You better hunt downwind of those birds though.  lol 

Edited by moog5050

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I was just joking Lar.  I use it too when I remember in bow season.

Hunting in Mendon, it should be required by law!!!! ......lol

I carried a few home from there in the plastic bag my camo was in.

There does seem to be an 'uptick'.....(see what I did there) in ticks this year, everywhere I've been in the woods this spring.

Use the Sawyers boys and girls!!!!  It really does help to keep the crawly bastids off you!!!  Nothing is 100% though. So a shower and thorough check is always a good idea after leaving the woods.

Lyme is no joke. Protect yourselves.

• Like 2

Hunting in Mendon, it should be required by law!!!! ......lol
I carried a few home from there in the plastic bag my camo was in.
There does seem to be an 'uptick'.....(see what I did there) in ticks this year, everywhere I've been in the woods this spring.
Use the Sawyers boys and girls!!!!  It really does help to keep the crawly bastids off you!!!  Nothing is 100% though. So a shower and thorough check is always a good idea after leaving the woods.
Lyme is no joke. Protect yourselves.

Few weeks back buddy and I were tying down a ground blind he placed in a spot 10 feet off main field. My clothes were treated with Sawyers; his were not. 5 ticks on his pants, none on mine. That’s about as scientific as I can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

I use Sawyers Permethrin religiously every spring. Unfortunately , I didn't use it during bow season years ago and contacted Lyme disease. Sometimes I can feel them biting me and other times I can't. The worst part is when I find one imbedded in me and I have to ask my wife to remove it with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. She flips out and starts screaming how disgusting it is. I bet I've dug out more than a dozen of them in me in the last 20 years or so. It usually itches like hell after I remove them and always get a rash ( see photo). I always have bloodwork done every year to check for Lyme along with the usual diagnostic blood testing.

IMG_1698.thumb.PNG.c387a6605a445f0dd70eeca662046aa8.PNG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

I use Sawyers Permethrin religiously every spring. Unfortunately , I didn't use it during bow season years ago and contacted Lyme disease. Sometimes I can feel them biting me and other times I can't. The worst part is when I find one imbedded in me and I have to ask my wife to remove it with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. She flips out and starts screaming how disgusting it is. I bet I've dug out more than a dozen of them in me in the last 20 years or so. It usually itches like hell after I remove them and always get a rash ( see photo). I always have bloodwork done every year to check for Lyme along with the usual diagnostic blood testing.

IMG_1698.thumb.PNG.c387a6605a445f0dd70eeca662046aa8.PNG

Wow, I'd be worried if they left a mark on me like that.  I've been bit by a tick a couple of times while hiking in the summer months, never while hunting, but after pulling them off they left no mark at all on me and it didn't itch at all either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...