Look at what you made me do !

ncountry

MOOG!

My compound has a competitor now...

Came right from the bow miester himself. John's Custom Archery...It kind of snuck up on me. I wasnt prepared..I need to get some arrows , and finger tabs or gloves asap.. lol

20190429_123639.jpg

Edited by ncountry
Detail
  • Like 5

Oh man, that's awesome!!!  You are going to have lots of fun with that beauty. Brian is definitely the go to trad guy!  He's not too shabby when it comes to compounds either.

Keep us posted on your progress.  Good luck!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

Oh man, that's awesome!!!  You are going to have lots of fun with that beauty. Brian is definitely the go to trad guy!  He's not too shabby when it comes to compounds either.

Keep us posted on your progress.  Good luck!

There are a few good trad shooters on this forum.  I just post more often!  Culver was shooting good on Sat.  Look forward to seeing him hunt with his recurve this year fabricated from his Dad's old compound.  How cool is that!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

There are a few good trad shooters on this forum.  I just post more often!  Culver was shooting good on Sat.  Look forward to seeing him hunt with his recurve this year fabricated from his Dad's old compound.  How cool is that!

My lip is still sore as hell...lol. Don't ever practice with Moog. When you have a bad shot he gives you a right hook from behind you...

lip.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Buddy went to the dark side this year after loosing 4 deer last year with the traditional.  Love the traditional shooting but for hunting I want to pick a hair which is hard to hit with no sights, for me! 

I am using a single pin this year until I get all the kinks worked out. Nothing says you can's have a site

21 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Buddy went to the dark side this year after loosing 4 deer last year with the traditional.  Love the traditional shooting but for hunting I want to pick a hair which is hard to hit with no sights, for me! 

You do have to come to grips that you are aiming for the center of a softball vs a hair.  Hopefully you hit dead center, but minimally you keep it within an inch or 2.  That said, my recovery rates are just as good with a trad bow as with a compound.  Blood trails are not as pronounced however.

Loosing 4 deer would certainly make me reconsider.  And I have had times I picked up the compound just because I was not confident with how I was shooting at the time.  Its not an all or nothing game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Lots of good reviews on the push.  They shoot a fixed crawl I think which pretty much makes the tip of your arrow the sight for a given distance.  Its effective although it does tend to be a bit louder.

Which method seems to work the best for you?

1 minute ago, ncountry said:

Which method seems to work the best for you?

I gap off of the riser or sight window for elevation and use the arrow for windage.  After shooting a bow enough you kind of just know on the elevation but it takes a while.  But if I shot a longer bow, the fixed crawl would certainly be an option.  It makes it so easy if you set a crawl for 20yds and just put the tip where you want to hit before releasing or slightly higher or lower for distances from 0-25.  My way requires two cross references before shooting until you really have a groove and then you stop thinking about elevation.  It works but fixed crawl is easier.  I just don't like how it make the bow feel and sound.  I did shoot my first ever trad whitetail using a fixed crawl.

• Like 1

At last weekends 3 D shoot i teamed up with an older gentleman that was shooting a 40# black widow traditional. Man that thing was pretty and he did well with it. Someday i will have to try that as well,but for now my new/used compound is making me very happy.

• Like 1

I gap shoot with my compound using a 35 yard pin for everything out to 40 yards.  Biggest issue is remembering to reset it when I shoot past 40 yards!  Step 1 knock arrow!  Step 2 adjust range!  (So use to shooting everything off one pin I often forget to set it back to 35 yards, then miss the closes target on the course! )  

Hit the elk antlers with a 65 pin(30 yards), hit the wrong deer after shooting 80 yards (25 yard target)!  Been lucky with still hitting targets when I mess up!  This total archery challenge is going to be fun but I think I will need extra arrows!  lol 

15 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

I gap shoot with my compound using a 35 yard pin for everything out to 40 yards.  Biggest issue is remembering to reset it when I shoot past 40 yards!  Step 1 knock arrow!  Step 2 adjust range!  (So use to shooting everything off one pin I often forget to set it back to 35 yards, then miss the closes target on the course! )  

Hit the elk antlers with a 65 pin(30 yards), hit the wrong deer after shooting 80 yards (25 yard target)!  Been lucky with still hitting targets when I mess up!  This total archery challenge is going to be fun but I think I will need extra arrows!  lol 

The sight is adjustable?

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The sight is adjustable?

Yes, the lowest I can go is 35 yards, this allows me to shoot out to about 110  yards at max.  Its how I prefer to shoot so when I am actually hunting I can hit anything out to 40 yards without any sight adjustment.