Seems like ny ( well at.least western) is a great buck state!!Combined b&c and p&y

G-Man

This color coded map show wny is not that different from a lot of the must hunt big buck states! Of course many will spout off nope but numbers dont lie

Screenshot_20190429-143413_Facebook.thumb.jpg.56a75455e41148c21209d53165595cb5.jpg this being said many in the state do not enter deer in recordbooks so this is only a comparison of those that do. But wny is right in the mix.

Link to full article.. https://bigandj.com/blogs/news/what-is-the-best-state-to-hunt-whitetail-deer

• Like 9

thats pretty neat and also data to send to WNYBuckHunter for this years whitetail classic that everyone east of Rochester gets a +2 handicap, Dacks a +4!  lol 

But really interesting to see.  I am sure there are bucks not entered across the US but dont think it would be much higher in one area or another.  You folks in WNY got it good! This prob lines right up with a deer population map as well.  I am always happy with the deer hunting i have regardless and never know when a big one might step out but have seen only a handful of big ones in my lifetime of hunting.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My area is in a 1 to 3 range. Makes sense, as a three year old buck here is usually just over 100 inches. But now and then we may get one bigger.

I'm very fortunate to have the acres we have to hunt. And have hunted here since I was a kid. So it's home. Makes a big buck that much more special here.

• Like 6

I'm located in the area of NY that's predominately white bordering the southern end of Vermont.  Hunter mindsets don't stray too far from the concept of zero book bucks either.  The struggle between showing what you've killed and keeping it a secret to everyone but harvest reporting system is very real. lol  you'd think people would learn by real world proof something works but instead you get road hunters, drop and go tresspassers, and headless bucks that grow anything older than 2.5 yrs old.  slowly changing... maybe but we'll see. still it's hard to change the dirt not in a food plot or ag field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, moog5050 said:

And yet I still want to hunt Steuben co!

Ya buddy has a camp there, some of the guys are mostly poachers , one guy took 20 deer .

They posted me up and right on schedule deer came out , filled my tags .

I may go back this year ....

10 minutes ago, Jamoke said:

Ny and Pa red counties look to be urban areas. Rochester, Pitt and Phil. Probobly archery only areas.

The “ Rochester “ area is Monroe county, while no hunting in Roch. The rest of the county is awesome . And gun hunting for the most part .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

What town?

No idea , it was a few years ago, the retired co worker just inherited it , I ran into him after several years, and he told me he now owned it and invited me back . Near Penn line and some big chicken farm .

Do you think I’d tell you actual area or pertinent facts .....

Edited by BeIo

On 4/29/2019 at 4:58 PM, grampy said:

My area is in a 1 to 3 range. Makes sense, as a three year old buck here is usually just over 100 inches. But now and then we may get one bigger.

I'm very fortunate to have the acres we have to hunt. And have hunted here since I was a kid. So it's home. Makes a big buck that much more special here.

Grampy expresses my sentiments to a T.

19 minutes ago, BeIo said:

No idea , it was a few years ago, the retired co worker just inherited it , I ran into him after several years, and he told me he now owned it and invited me back . Near Penn line and some big chicken farm .

Do you think I’d tell you actual area or pertinent facts .....

Wasn't prying...just wondering.  Trust me, I'm plenty happy with the area that I hunt here in Steuben. No shortage of deer...big bucks or poachers for that matter.

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Word just came thru that a 30 acre piece next to ours downstate may just be added to ours after all. Fingers crossed a deal can be made for sure. More than 1 keeper has called those woods home. 893172665ca399784a32ac14ac871dc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that looks like a dead elk,now i cant un- see this,damn.

8 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Special animal for sure. This is how I walked up on him. Tough tracking job on an iffy hit. 409163c281f1e36743db9b4fd6fed7fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so happy for you that you tracked him down,that would have stung for a while otherwise.