Will the 2019 Season Timing Be Right?

Five Seasons

I don’t agree that it’s to late at all. 

It will be the same as always. Hens are nesting and Toms will be lonely. 

A couple weeks ago they were still largely in their winter flicks meaning you would have nearly no chance at calling one in. 

But guys always think it would magically be better earlier. 

I think the second half of May is better, all the pressure is gone and Toms are more predictable. This time of the year near me the Toms are on the move and in different locations daily unless they have a good flock to tend to. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

I think the second half of May is better, all the pressure is gone and Toms are more predictable. This time of the year near me the Toms are on the move and in different locations daily unless they have a good flock to tend to. 

that's hunter driven though, not biology. I know there's been a handful of seasons recently where the fields were full of strutters the second week of April. 

1 minute ago, Belo said:

that's hunter driven though, not biology. I know there's been a handful of seasons recently where the fields were full of strutters the second week of April. 

Yes because that is prime breeding. And that's main reason not to have season then let the hens get bred. May is time where many are laying and some may start to set on nest. Tom's still want to breed so may is perfect time for season biologically speaking.. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Belo said:

I feel like your knowledge of Turkey biology and hunting might be limited. 

Peak nesting is late May into June, hens nest now but success rates are low due to weather typically. That is why it is better later in season. 

• Like 1

Biology speaking hens breading season and a toms breading season aren’t the same. Just because birds are strutting doesn’t mean they’re breading. Just like bucks will start chasing does making scrapes and rubs before the first doe comes into estrus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Biology speaking hens breading season and a toms breading season aren’t the same. Just because birds are strutting doesn’t mean they’re breading. Just like bucks will start chasing does making scrapes and rubs before the first doe comes into estrus.

but the hunting is still good

Season is perfect. 

Those that think it will be easier a week or so sooner, haven't done much hunting with a youth.  It's dam tuff during youth season.  2nd week of May is the best.  Hens are setting, and the ones that are not, leave the toms short after day break to lay. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

Season is perfect. 

Those that think it will be easier a week or so sooner, haven't done much hunting with a youth.  It's dam tuff during youth season.  2nd week of May is the best.  Hens are setting, and the ones that are not, leave the toms short after day break to lay. 

Bingo

• Like 1

Just now, ODYSSEUS said:

Last several Springs in NJ the Gobbling was through the Roof in Late April.  I have a feeling that Tomorrow we will all hear a Bunch of Gobblers. Hopefully no more Frosts to delay Flock Breakup.

Strange that I’m my 1000 miles I travel for work a week in different directions and different areas each day I haven’t seen large flocks in 2-3 weeks. 

i've got limited knowledge of turkeys. weather good or bad and whatever else happens the breeding is close to the same time every year i've been told. makes sense as most wildlife is that way for offspring to survive. late may gets tough only because as the season moves along birds get shot.  seems toms are henned up throughout the whole season. lately it seems i've slept in and killed them late morning way easier. by 10am everyone is heading back to the truck stiring things up and the toms are without hens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t know about you but I’ve never had much problem killing birds in May, I’m sure hunting them in April would be good as well but I’ve never thought I needed April to make the hunting easier/better.

my history comes from a late march start in MS. Sure the weather there is very different, but we seemed to get on them earlier. I'm not a great turkey hunter, but it seems like we're missing out.

59 minutes ago, mowin said:

Season is perfect. 

i think it's less about it being easier and more about the end of May. I've never had great luck towards the end of the month. A lot less vocal birds and my turf is just me for miles, so little pressure. 

I truly believe our birds have become hunter savvy, and are passing that trait along. 

11 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Doubtful, but you never know. Turkeys don't gobble like they did years ago. Just gotta get out there and try.

Maine's turkey season is relatively young compared to NY's. Only started getting popular past 10+ yrs.(at least in my friends area). Friends of mine slay the birds in Maine. Come here for our opener and have a much different outcome. They really have to work for our birds.  We hunt private land, so were not dealing with the public like others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I truly believe our birds have become hunter savvy, and are passing that trait along. 

i will screw this up, but i was listening to some stuff on turkeys recently and they were explaining how a female in the wild doesn't actually call for a male, it's the other way around. So when us hunters are calling to a male we're basically stating that we're fed up with something and even though we should be working are way to the gobble, we're just going to be different and stay put.

This of course causes the Tom to basically say "well wtf, if you're not coming to me and you're not going to shut up about it, I'll come to you and see what's up". 

I may have screwed this up a little, so someone please correct me, but it makes sense that birds would become educated to this tactic that isn't natural anyhow.

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

i will screw this up, but i was listening to some stuff on turkeys recently and they were explaining how a female in the wild doesn't actually call for a male, it's the other way around. So when us hunters are calling to a male we're basically stating that we're fed up with something and even though we should be working are way to the gobble, we're just going to be different and stay put.

This of course causes the Tom to basically say "well wtf, if you're not coming to me and you're not going to shut up about it, I'll come to you and see what's up". 

I may have screwed this up a little, so someone please correct me, but it makes sense that birds would become educated to this tactic that isn't natural anyhow.

Your correct.  The tom gobbles on roost to call the Hens to him. Were trying to reverse mother nature's intention.  

So many times you here stories when the tom hits the ground, he shuts up, or heads the other way.  It's because the ladies showed up and are dragging him away from the annoying hen(us).  This is where the tactic of mimicking the boss hen to piss her off comes into play.  Your try to get her mad, and hopefully come up and show you who's in charge, dragging tommy behind her. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'd add that male birds CAN be curious also, and sometimes if you just stop calling and stay put, they will eventually come looking for you. It doesn't always work, but it often does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I think there is less Gobbling now then way back in 1998.  My personal opinion and that is all it is -- Along with an Army now of very good Spring Turkey Hunters in NY-The Gobblers have become much more Wary then way back in say 1998. We have now caught up to the deep South in areas like Alabama and Mississippi. Gobblers see Man as another Predator and many Learn to Pick the Spring Hunter out.  

Could be, I will say turkey populations seemed to be at their peak for most of the early 90’s. 

We started in 92 and would have birds gobble in every direction in all of our places. Now it’s not like that at all as you know. Back then it was not uncommon to call in flocks of Toms/Jakes. 

I would call for every one starting at age 13 and we’d take turns on who was up to bat and inevitably the wrong guy would have the bird come to him. We killed a ton of birds, then I snubbed my nose to calling for some of the dead beats .lol  

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I'd add that male birds CAN be curious also, and sometimes if you just stop calling and stay put, they will eventually come looking for you. It doesn't always work, but it often does.

I'm out of likes.  

But I've often used this tactic on toms that just won't come that extra 30 yrds.  Like you said, it doesn't work all the time, but what do ya have to loose. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I've had more luck in mid to late May 

I watched some video the other day where the guy said he preferred to hunt he end of the season in NY.  It got me thinking... but then I remembered why I started hunting as early as possible, the damn flies!  Having to wear a full head net full time and walking around in a black cloud of bugs is not fun. At least least early in the season the first few hours of the day are enjoyable. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I think there is less Gobbling now then way back in 1998.  My personal opinion and that is all it is -- Along with an Army now of very good Spring Turkey Hunters in NY-The Gobblers have become much more Wary then way back in say 1998. We have now caught up to the deep South in areas like Alabama and Mississippi. Gobblers see Man as another Predator and many Learn to Pick the Spring Hunter out.  

I started turkey hunting in 2008 or so, but I know just in the 10 or 11 years that I've been in the woods that birds in my area have made a big comeback. This is a localized view of course, but I believe is generally supported by DEC research. IIRC we hit a low period in the early 2000's and have rebounded nicely the last 4 or 5 years. So for me, a relatively new turkey hunter I've been excited to see what I've been seeing.

12 hours ago, cas said:

I watched some video the other day where the guy said he preferred to hunt he end of the season in NY.  It got me thinking... but then I remembered why I started hunting as early as possible, the damn flies!  Having to wear a full head net full time and walking around in a black cloud of bugs is not fun. At least least early in the season the first few hours of the day are enjoyable. 

excellent point. Also, while cover is more limited in the early season, your visibility is better and shooting lanes better. Obviously this works both for and against the hunter as it's much easier to get busted as well.