It begins again

G-Man

Its not that hard to kill a deer with a crossbow, compound or recurve.  Now if we want a true primitive and challenging season, lets stick with spears.  They pre-date bows by a large margin and I suspect are much more difficult to master. Then all the big bucks will live until gun season, making the gun only hunters happy. 

I really should run for the state senate with my great ideas!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Now if we want a true primitive and challenging season, lets stick with spears.  They pre-date bows by a large margin and I suspect are much more difficult to master. Then all the big bucks will live until gun season, making the gun only hunters happy. 

I really should run for the state senate with my great ideas!

Sorry to bust your bubble Moog but if spears were legal , folks here would be complaining if they couldn't use an Atlatl to aid their throwing . Using the Atlatl would aid in throwing farther . :pleasantry:

BC Spear.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fasteddie said:

Sorry to bust your bubble Moog but if spears were legal , folks here would be complaining if they couldn't use an Atlatl to aid their throwing . Using the Atlatl would aid in throwing farther . :pleasantry:

Oh, I agree - way to easy with the Atlatl - that's why I stuck with a truly primitive weapon - bare hands counts too

• Haha 2

In the ‘90’s a deer was chased through the Bay st. area of the city ,by the locals it was finally cornered and killed with an assortment of shovels and other various sticks and tools .

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

They will be blind soon enough with you hunting in the buff

True......very true.  Not a pretty sight.  But a very rugged way to kill a deeah.  And I got no boolits left anymore. So perfectly legal too.

1 minute ago, grampy said:

True......very true.  Not a pretty sight.  But a very rugged way to kill a deeah.  And I got no boolits left anymore. So perfectly legal too.

Now I keep thinking about you bare a$$ed while I was lying there watching you stalk that buck.  lol

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

In the ‘90’s a deer was chased through the Bay st. area of the city ,by the locals it was finally cornered and killed with an assortment of shovels and other various sticks and tools .

Shovels , Sticks and tools ? That was before Antifa !

4 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

This thread was locked? It's pretty tame so far, at least compared to some of the doozies that have continued on.

This thread was locked Sunday when I was going to submit a comment.  Guess, since hunting in the buff was mention now, I'll just leave it alone, LOL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

At least Belo has some valid points in his anti-crossbow arguments. 

You got that right.  He is the only one that I have seen admit that his opposition is based on selfish elitism.   I appreciate the honesty.

Edited by wolc123

50 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Why not just legalize rocks or the bola .  now that would be impressive .

I’ve had some nice deer directly below my stand, a 20 lb rock would’ve been the right method. With painted on crosshairs obviously. I imagine it ruins a lot of racks though. Good doe method at least.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I’ve had some nice deer directly below my stand, a 20 lb rock would’ve been the right method. With painted on crosshairs obviously. I imagine it ruins a lot of racks though. Good doe method at least.

I have had that happen when I was leaving the stand I just had lowered my bow down first with a rope bow on the ground I'm still in the tree and 2 doe run out of the  bushes and stop  right under my stand and start looking up   for a second I was tempted to jump on top of them as the stand was only 13 feet off the ground  lol 

I think those basterds where beded down no more then 100 yards away from me and only got up when they heard the noise of me about to climb off the tree.  They were practically standing on top of my bow .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, fasteddie said:

The box I got for my projectiles is Says "Bolts" ......

Cool, but they are made the exact same way as arrows. Manufacturers use the term so that the average Joe doesnt get confused and buy crossbow arrows for his vertical bow and vice versa. Feel free to look up what bolts are.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:52 AM, Storm914 said:

download.jpeg-1.jpg.2eb888f535d3bf43db54d97af049e61c.jpg

Look I don't want  a augment because it always gets  ugly when this topic comes up I noticed .

And you already convinced me there is know harm in crossbow being in archery from what you  ,and other guys have shown with  data from other states  it really did not  change much how  many deer have been taken  in the archery season anyway it still limits the hunters ability compared to a rifle .

Is a crossbow really a archery ?

See the problem with all your arguments is you will not find in 3000 plus years that crossbow been around  not one book or  ancient text about how  to use a bow and arrow  that  shows crossbows in it . Because there  operation is totally different.  Bow and arrow is just harder to use .

The fact that they use the same power mechanism is meaningless.  Crossbows are really the first  generation of rifles  before they figured out how to use gunpowder .

Like joe rogan says" a crossbow is just a shitty gun ."

And a airbow is in that same category. But safer to us so why not let that in to and just put a upper limit on  fps . Why have dumb limbs width restriction when a narrow crossbow is much more safer to handle in the woods . Why have the same restriction on recurve crossbows as cam driven crossbows  when they work differently . 

The only logical restriction if you are going To have one is limit the  feet per second. 

When they discovered gunpowder.  They  quickly  got rid of the bow string part and replaced the power mechanism with  black powerder. And all armys stopped using them .

That being said it's still a primitive weapons that limits your hunting ability.  Just not as much as a bow .

But looks like it's not enough of a difference statistically to make a big difference in the deer take of archery . So I don't care if  it's used if it's not going to make a difference in the deer I see . During rifle season especially, which i and most hunters  probably like the most to hunt in .

"Airbows" are just airguns that shoot an arrow as a projectile. Just because Crosman came up with the term Airbow for marketing purposes, doesnt make them a bow in any way shape or form.

I could care less what Joe Rogan says, hes a shitty stand up comedian, nothing more, nothing less. Using his quotes is a pathetic argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1