G-Man

It begins again

its to each its own..... but it just cant understand how people think a crossbow isnt easier to hunt with than a bow.  It almost seems like have they ever used one?  It has the same capabilities as a 50 yard gun.  I hunt from treestands mostly, but on the ground or from the stand you just look thru a scope and shoot.  Bow has to be drawn and more movement can be seen, have to hold it and there are more targeting issues with a bow by far.  Correct form, if shooting down bend the right way, right anchor point, no scope, etc.  even with practice those variables are still there.  I actually love the way the seasons are setup right now cause i like to hunt with everything bow, xbow, gun.  To say the crossbow is heavy - mine weighs the same as my -06.  both 7+lbs.  I can shoot my xbow quarter groups at 50.   My bow I limit to 45 and shoot 6" groups then and it would have to a perfect shot to even consider it.  Ive killed with the crossbow from the ground and from a stand and have held it on a deer - last year - for a few minutes to get the right shot.  I can have most anyone shooting bulls with my xbow in 3 shots or less - the compound takes a whole lot of practice. I would certainly like to see xbow open with a dr note though for those that cannot draw a bow.  - which in itself proves it is easier to use.   

Hell there is even an academy in Western NY for bow practice, havent seen it open to crossbow yet.  Lol  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

... Yes, historically a Xbow projectile was called a bolt, but a lot of name brand Xbow mfgers refer to them now-a-days as arrows. In your defense Eddie I do see Easton/Beaman call them bolts, while Gold-Tip does NOT call them either a bolt or an arrow. Confusing!?! Over past ~5yrs bolts &/or arrows for Xbows has sort of become an interchangeable term. Same mfgering process, material, diameter, weight choices for vertical bow & Xbow use, simply shorter with different nocks for Xbows. Not something I'm going to get obsessed over, what to call my Xbow projectile. Tomato.. Tomato', Puhkahn....Peecan. You call it a bolt, I know what you're talking about if we're discussing Xbows!!!!!

you'd think for simple marketing and customer satisfaction they'd keep the delineation. I'd hate to make a hasty purchase of arrows for my compound only to get a package of crossbow bolts in the mail. Until they're identical in nature, they should be labeled and marketed separably. 

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

20 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Did some checking . They are BOLTS . Victory makes arrows for bows and Bolts for crossbows .

https://www.victoryarchery.com/CROSSBOW/

I also re-checked their website. Apparently, they have two offerings for crossbow projectiles. One is the Victory XBolt and one is the Voodoo. I think they are using the Bolt term as a marketing name. Further down the page they have charts  / features under a heading of Victory Xbolt Crossbow arrow and Voodoo Crossbow arrow. They are certainly free to call their product whatever they wish. However, I stand behind my original assertion. 

9 hours ago, Belo said:

you'd think for simple marketing and customer satisfaction they'd keep the delineation. 

I believe there is a little more than merely semantics. Most Xbow mfgers refer to them as arrows. Possibly attempting to keep their products more in line with vertical bow archery. Marketing smoke n mirrors.

I'll admit to being guilty of buying wrong items when in a hurry or not paying attention! Shouldn't be an issue with Xbow projectiles. Don't recall ever seeing unfinished Xbow bolts/arrows. You're always prompted or it's clearly displayed on pkging their length, either 20" or 22". Not to mention you have to specify a nock style, either flat or 1/2 moon. Agreed.. would make things so much less confusing if Xbows used apples and vertical bows used oranges.

• Like 1

For the very best arrows made (IMO), I highly recommend Jerry at Tapp Nation. You can buy whatever you want... including  shafts and/or custom arrows. All he does now-a-days is make arrows and sell Scorpyd crossbows. His shop is over towards Tampa on the west coast of Florida. I've been there and talked extensively with him. Great guy. He also frequents Crossbow Nation.