It begins again

G-Man

15 hours ago, Skillet said:

Why should anyone have a say in the weapon I use, on my own land?

Not saying I hunt with x bow illegally, I don't.

But, what business is it to anyone who isn't paying my damn taxes? 

Yes crossbow is easier. I can pick it up after a month, and shoot a bull the first shot. This is exactly why I prefer it. In the hands of a hunter who knows it's limitations, it is a more effective and humane weapon, with less room for error.

The only drawbacks are the poor trajectory, the noise, and how easy it is to hit a limb on something.

I'd be very interested to see the amount of deer wounded by vertical bows, vs crossbows.

in Mississippi, you can essentially kill what you want on your own land. Many game laws don't even apply. But let me ask you this. If you're using that logic, should you be able to shoot 3 bucks a year because it's your property?

Remember, the animals are owned by the people of NY, not by the land owner. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

The main squeaky wheel agreement seems to  be coming from the die-hard compound bow users who probably have bows that perform close to what Xbows do, fps/Ke. 

I think you should do a little more research if you think vertical bows are shooting similar speeds, let alone no draw, optics etc. 

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

That is the root of it in a nutshell, "my" deer. I've had people on back side of hill shoot bucks I've had on camera and people call me up and say so and so shot your buck.. they seem shocked I don't get upset as I tell them it's not my buck ,I'm glad he/she got it.

I think it's ok not to get upset about it, but it's also ok to not be happy for them lol.

43 minutes ago, Belo said:

in Mississippi, you can essentially kill what you want on your own land. Many game laws don't even apply. But let me ask you this. If you're using that logic, should you be able to shoot 3 bucks a year because it's your property?

Remember, the animals are owned by the people of NY, not by the land owner. 

What do you mean they don't apply? As in people disregard the law & nobody enforces it? Or some of the laws don't apply to landowners?

And no, I don't think people should be shooting 3 bucks, but I think a landowner should have more say on their land. 

Edited by Skillet

2 hours ago, Skillet said:

What do you mean they don't apply? As in people disregard the law & nobody enforces it? Or some of the laws don't apply to landowners?

And no, I don't think people should be shooting 3 bucks, but I think a landowner should have more say on their land. 

i mean if you're the landowner, most of the environmental game laws do not legally apply to you. But you have to be the landowner or immediate family (son, daughter, wife). You can literally kill and shoot almost everything not federally protected. 

Edited by Belo

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

i mean if you're the landowner, most of the environmental game laws do not legally apply to you. But you have to be the landowner or immediate family (son, daughter, wife). You can literally kill and shoot almost everything not federally protected. 

That's crazy.

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Obsession Lawless is 370 fps. That does outperform many of NY legal crossbows. 340-360fps is pretty common in the upper shelf compounds. 

It's not at all common. 370 is IBO, which is with a 30" draw length, 70 lbs, nothing on the string, and a 350 grain total arrow. 

My Crossbow, which cost me $350 shipped with a nikon scope on it (centerpoint sniper 370 is the bow), has more energy than any off the shelf compound bow.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Core said:

It's not at all common. 370 is IBO, which is with a 30" draw length, 70 lbs, nothing on the string, and a 350 grain total arrow. 

My Crossbow, which cost me $350 shipped with a nikon scope on it (centerpoint sniper 370 is the bow), has more energy than any off the shelf compound bow.

but the ratings are apples to apples, No? the compounds don't hit the advertised speeds either. My 370 isn't close once I put all the bells and whistles on it. The energy is another issue since most of the crossbows are tossing a heavier projectile that most compound shooters. But at teh ranges most of us shoot how important is KE? It would be akin to comparing how far and ought 6 bullet went when it went through a deer compared to a 300 WinMag. 

I am changing my position yet again - no crossbows or compounds except weeks 2 and 3 of Oct.  Writing my congressman and DEC now.  Both are too easy and will result in others shooting my buck. 

Just think of all of the booners that will be running the woods for those that want to hunt JUST LIKE ME.

Hope the atlatl crowd don't catch on to my scheme or I am screwed.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I simply want a 9/15 opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our seasons are too long already Biz!  But I enjoy them so I won't argue - so long as there are no crossbows or compounds as that is cheating - like blinds and treestands.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our seasons are too long already Biz!  But I enjoy them so I won't argue - so long as there are no crossbows or compounds as that is cheating - like blinds and treestands.
Clearly you've never experienced CT

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Yours is short. I can go hunt westchester bow-only state land until December 31st. I believe long island has the shotgun january season too.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

seasons are too long. nothing earlier for the love of god. dont give me the option haha.

I'd gladly take 9/15 or even 9/1 until 11/30 (instead of 12/31). I seem to have a knack for patterning big bucks in September in daylight.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

9 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Nope I want 9/1-01/31

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I hunted PA late season once, Pike County. It was January with xbow and sub-zero temps. I found a beautiful fresh shed with blood still on it. Never saw a deer though that day.

23 hours ago, Skillet said:

I'd be very interested to see the amount of deer wounded by vertical bows, vs crossbows.

The Navy base study on recovery rates that Culver posted, for mechanical vs fixed broadheads, finally shed some non-biased light on that subject.  I was not at all surprised to see that crossbows with mechanical broadheads came out on top, when it comes to recovery percentage, compared to crossbows with fixed, or vertical bows with fixed or mechanical broadheads. 

That study agreed with my own personal experience, which has been 100 % recovery with crossbow/mechanical (4 for 4), but significantly less with vertical bow fixed and mechanical.   I have yet to try a fixed broadhead on a deer with my crossbow, and probably will not after reading that study.    There is no question for me, that the crossbow is less likely to result in a non-recovered deer.

There is no limit to the pre-concieved notions floating around on the internet, but seldom do we see such a scientific, non-biased, fact-based study results posted.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4