The Simpsons make fun of upstate NY

Sadly the video is right on the money, derelict buildings-infrastructure everywhere. When I was a kid Utica had a population of well over 100,000, 3 large General Electric factories along with Kelsey Hayes, Bossert, Sperry Rand, Chicago Pneumatic, Utica Duxback to name a few. All good paying manufacturing jobs that are all gone now. Ethan Allen furniture to the north in Boonville gone, Harden Furniture in McConnellsville gone, Remington in Ilion almost gone, can't even sell what they make here and Rome down the road a few miles basically suffered the same fate losing Pettibone, General Cable, Rome Manufacturing and Rome Cable. The weather does stink, I think I can count on my fingers the number of days it has not snowed or rained at least some since the first of the year. And lets not forget the Taxes and fees that are on "EVERYTHING",  reputed to be the highest in the land.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

Sadly it is a true representation of what has occurred in NY over time. The number of businesses and factories that have closed or moved elsewhere is phenomenal.

The lousy weather we have here is so bad no one wants to stay as Cuomo would say.

• Like 3