Antlers growing?

Bionic

Last Sunday, I was at the farm checking some fields, and saw two bucks bedded 50 yards away. Both had domes, a couple inches high. And were big bodied deer too. Looks like the deer came through the winter just fine here, as we saw quite a few doe, with last years fawns too. Their winter coat is falling out now, making them look a bit blotchy, and the summer coat is starting to come in.

• Like 2

Per my historical trail cam sightings, growth begins early May (+/-). Significant  jump in growth during month of May. Biggest reveal tends to be during June thru ~July 4th. JMO, by then the bucks are about 75% of what they'll be in October. Can tell then when there'll be nice ones around come bow season. Clearly different habitat, food sources, genetics, etc effect this growth rate. The rule of thumb for "bone" growth in area I hunt.

Edited by nyslowhand

Don't want to derail but I also have fawns reports from my buddy who drives at night, traced back and it would be the first pre-rut in October early.  On LI the weather is usually mild enough for them to survive, often these early starters are the ones who get the biggest when they do make it. 

• Like 3

Okay, so they're still pretty much fuzzy nubs by the end of May, but you can definitely see some racks growing at a faster rate than others. These will eventually develop into bigger racks, per my trail cam photos over the years. Disclaimer - Brush buck observations! Probably different scenario where agr crops could possibly help antlers grow at a different rate over different time frames!?!

To each his/her own desires, but I check my cams weekly because I like to follow the buck's development, fawns frolicking, #s inventory and esp travel patterns that develop/change.

I saw a buck on May 5th turkey hunting. He came across a field to where I was set up and from 100 yds I thought something looked strange. He stopped and looked at me at 20 yds away. About as big around as golf balls and 2 inches high.