First piebald

Swamp_bucks

On my way home from work this morning i noticed 3 big deer about 50-80 yards out in a meadow noticed one was really light colored and then the back one stepped out from behind the other 2  and the entire ass end was snowball white.  Looked like half got dipped into white paint.  Couldnt get a picture but it was cool to see. Ill be keeping an eye for now on through there to see if i can get a picture next time.

• Like 9

I've seen a couple over the yrs, definitely makes you do a double take.  

I had pics of the one I seen, but they were taken on a disk camera. Remember those? I lost most of my pics to a busted water pipe. 

The one I shot was so unexpected I didnt realize it was a deer at first till it raised it head and had antlers!! I really believed it was a dog as 3 doe busted across field at dead run and 15 min later it came.out head down following them..

Saw one twenty years ago coming back from hunting with a buddy.  It was on private land up in Camden.  We went by a field on our way back from hunting up north and I see two deer. He says that deer has white on it.  Im looking at two other deer and I say they all have white on the belly. And he says no it has a ton of white on it's side.  He points and it was another that had two huge white areas on side , more white than brown.  

Hope u get a pic.  

Only single one i have seen was atleast 10 years ago.id walk up to the local pond to fish and i didnt see a single patch of brown on this deer.was grazing in someones back lawn with a few other deer.just txt my sister to see if she has pic laying around somewhere

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

I see deer on the way to work most mornings that is yellow/blonde.  Ill try to get a picture of it.  

Thats why i slowed down to get a look because one of the 2 in front had a very blondish type coat.  Wasnt a winter or summer and not even that blotchy look they get.  That one was the only time ive seen a deer that color as well.

I have seen perhaps 7 or 8 over the years, but then again I am almost as old as dirt...

One of my closest friends shot about a half white piebald 8 point on my property  a few years back....The deer weighed just 100 pounds dressed....I had never seen it before he killed it...Moog saw the full body mount when he was down here turkey hunting last spring.....

• Like 1

Wonder if this is a sort of recessive (genetic) trait within a specific area that comes out every few generations??? From what I've heard & read, if you see one in an area, sometime in the future you possibly may see another in same vicinity. Don't they tend to be smaller deer also? Anyone...?

Edited by nyslowhand

49 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Wonder if this is a sort of recessive (genetic) trait within a specific area that comes out every few generations??? From what I've heard & read, if you see one in an area, sometime in the future you possibly may see another in same vicinity. Don't they tend to be smaller deer also? Anyone...?

Ive heard they are on the smaller side.  I know the one i saw yesterday was equal size to the other 2 it was with.

6 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

The one at my property was a pretty good size doe.  Bigger than average. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Never saw one in person until 3 weeks ago, then I saw a second from the expressway a week later.  Very cool.  Hope the one at my place sticks around.  She is a big doe and almost tiger stripped/brindle.

Not sure if you are on Brads lease 8F also or not but you have one real close to there. Just a 1/2 mile up the rd lol Took a picture of it a few months back. Standing in the road I thought it was a great dane or something. Used ot have a huge Doe on my family property in 8F as well, i mean big girl. Thought she was a cow coming through the woods she was so big and colored quite alike. Saw her for years then she disappeared 

14 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Not sure if you are on Brads lease 8F also or not but you have one real close to there. Just a 1/2 mile up the rd lol Took a picture of it a few months back. Standing in the road I thought it was a great dane or something. Used ot have a huge Doe on my family property in 8F as well, i mean big girl. Thought she was a cow coming through the woods she was so big and colored quite alike. Saw her for years then she disappeared 

I am not Bryan.   Different property and doe.   Did you pass on her at all.  I am debating what I would do.   It’s cool having her around.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I am not Bryan.   Different property and doe.   Did you pass on her at all.  I am debating what I would do.   It’s cool having her around.   

I did pass on her, most everytime I saw the big girl she was with a dozen other does, so i gladly selected another deer. I dont know if i could take a piebald. Even with antlers, now maybe a giant mature buck I may think different.. Nothing against them, I just love seeing them in the woods. It is still a deer, and somewhat rare, I just dont think I could do it.. Id rather see a youngster take it, or enjoy seeing it in the future.. Weird.. I know lol 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 5:26 PM, johnplav said:
I see deer on the way to work most mornings that is yellow/blonde.  Ill try to get a picture of it.  

I know I won’t be winning any photography awards with this one taken at 70 mph. But you can get a sense of her color. She looks like a yellow lab. I’ll steal the wife’s good camera and big lens to try to get better pics. Definitely a neat deer, and living in a spot where the only threat is cars. d45dac6976f6eaea63e978e4460f08ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1