Trunk locking mechanism in my pathfinder???

Al Bundy

My rear trunk/gate is stuck shut in my 98 pathfinder. I removed the panel and sprayed the shit out of it hoping it would release. I cant figure how to get this thing to unlatch though. It releases initially then moves half inch or so, but that is it. Something is not letting go totally and its not clear how to get this thing to budge.  The mechanism is in the back and really hard to see.   Any ideas??  Facing view and top view..

IMG_20190507_193831509.thumb.jpg.1ae8011c8e68da0999b24e7cf534dd08.jpgIMG_20190507_193956197.thumb.jpg.237fdc7bb61d267caa88af2110b14646.jpg

You can usually find a video on YouTube to fix a problem like this.  I used it to fix the rear latch on my 2012 Escape.

I entered "1998 pathfinder rear hatch won't open "

Here's one that may help

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

From what ive read is there is a plastic piece that could possibly be broken that works one or both sides of the latch. a design flaw. Everything I read says, remove panel soak everything with wd 40 or penetrating oil.. and get roudy on it. If you cant find the plastic piece to manually open the latch from the sides.. If its not broken, It sounds like it is just really dirty, and needs to be cleaned and maintained after wards. Seems like a common issue with those. 

https://forums.nicoclub.com/98-pathy-rear-door-tailgate-won-t-open-t435571.html