Sharpening chainsaw

I've been thinking about trying these for a wile now. Guess the only thing holding me back is I'll need one for each chain since they're all different pitch so I'd need 3 of them.... and maybe a 4'th soon.:whistle:

I've got about a dozen dull ones now so it's probably a good time to work them over and get some more use out of them one way or another. Have only heard good things about these.

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

What is it exactly ,just a handle for a file or is there a guide built in to it? 

Three files; two round and one flat.  It has angle guides (just lines) that help you run it straight. 

The flat file cuts on the top and bottom for when you hit the right side then the left side. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

I have four or five chains for every saw/bar. I usually make sharpening chains a "rainy day" job, clamping the bar in a vise and sharpening the chains in the shop.  As long as I don't hit the dirt a lot, or metal, then those chains stay sharp a long time.  I had some issues with metal the last couple years because I have been cutting down diseased ash trees that are loaded with nails from old tree stands.  I am finally thru the last of those, so it should be "clear-sailing" from now on when cutting firewood.

For sharpening, I use a file with a metal guard that holds a uniform depth and shows the correct angle.  I have 14, 16, 18, and 20" bars and they take me about 5, 7, 9, and 11 minutes to file.   The 14 and 18" are narrower and take a smaller diameter file than the 16 and 20" bars.   When nails are an issue, I use the shorter bars because they are faster to sharpen.        

I minimize "hitting the dirt", by only skidding logs when the ground is froze in winter, or dry and hard in the late summer.  I stack the logs on a wood platform to eliminate "hitting the dirt" while chopping them up into firewood.   That looks like a cool tool, but I think those little tin-guard jobs only cost me about $ 7, with a file, so I doubt I will be getting one.   I might ask for one for Christmas though.    

Can't remember the last time I bought a new chain. I always keep a backup just in case but a few sweeps of the file get me right back where I need to be. Also have a Dremel type tool if she's been in the dirt or beat up bad. I'd give one of those rigs a try before I bought but I think it's fairly easy to keep a chain sharp.

As far as what Gman has, I'd have a hard time believing that thing is consistent and can do a good job at sharpening. Seems like a "gotcha" tool

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wooly said:

I've been thinking about trying these for a wile now. Guess the only thing holding me back is I'll need one for each chain since they're all different pitch so I'd need 3 of them.... and maybe a 4'th soon.:whistle:

I've got about a dozen dull ones now so it's probably a good time to work them over and get some more use out of them one way or another. Have only heard good things about these.

I believe the file frame/holder is the same. You just use different size files for different chain sizes. The files are only a couple of bucks each. I used the same holder for everything from the Pico chain on the 180 to the 3/8" skip-tooth on the 460.

8 hours ago, fasteddie said:

My error . Tired . It's been a long rough day . 

No problem my friend. Just bustin' on ya ;-) I'm out of likes already this morning, so I wrote a "like" instead.

I sharpen my chains until they start loosing teeth altogether and look more like the locals,hehehe. By then they drift a little,also like the locals.

Also,i am a late bloomer and didn't get my first chainsaw until i was 26. Heck,i didn't start hunting until i was 36. 

Edited by BowmanMike

On 5/10/2019 at 10:17 PM, TreeGuy said:

Can't remember the last time I bought a new chain. I always keep a backup just in case but a few sweeps of the file get me right back where I need to be. Also have a Dremel type tool if she's been in the dirt or beat up bad. I'd give one of those rigs a try before I bought but I think it's fairly easy to keep a chain sharp.

As far as what Gman has, I'd have a hard time believing that thing is consistent and can do a good job at sharpening. Seems like a "gotcha" tool

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

It's a different shaped tooth have gone thru about 30 trees with it so far . They way it clamps on and grinds the tooth its effective. I dont know longevity of chain yet though I have bought 2. One extra. No need to swap out a full chain just clamp on run 15 to 30 seconds and sharp.. 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:33 PM, wooly said:

Wish you lived closer Wooly.  I'd put a sharp on those chains for you.  I'm afraid your fancy Stihl chains wouldn't fit any of my lowly Huskys though.  (I need to sharpen them on the bar).  If they would fit on my saw bars I would sharpen them and mail them back to you as my contribution to true art!

• Thanks 1