old man river

STAY IN THE GAME-- Video made on 5/11/2019. Just keep going out.

Hope members enjoy this short Spring Turkey Video. Made it today- 5/11.  Just keep going out and sooner or later your Luck will change. 

• Like 1

Going out tomorrow after Olddd Gravely Marble Gobble. It might take all of May. Now I have only named Turkeys that come to my Lawn, but this Tom gets the name of Lester. Old Lester, I am ready for the Duel. 

• Like 1

Why do u think no turkeys have come in?  How r u hunting them and how r u calling? I've had probably 20 jakes come in this year, most of them without making a single gobble.  Tagged out on 2 longbeards and have trouble understanding why u've not had a single bird come in with as much time as u put in. 

1 hour ago, dmandoes said:

Why do u think no turkeys have come in?  How r u hunting them and how r u calling? I've had probably 20 jakes come in this year, most of them without making a single gobble.  Tagged out on 2 longbeards and have trouble understanding why u've not had a single bird come in with as much time as u put in. 

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you...I have hunted gobblers for 50 years and have had  couple of seasons when, every time I turned LEFT I should have turned RIGHT...Lots of good hunting time left  this season...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 4

You'll get him, Bill. You got this.

• Thanks 1

"Stand Your Ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker, Lexington 1775

2 Gobblers did come in. The First on May 1st . Up to 40 yards with 2 Saplings in front of him. No sense wounding him. I let him walk off.  The 2nd Gobbler came in to roughly 60- 65 yards. Too far for a shot although many would have pulled the trigger. He too would have been wounded. Public Land is very Tough. Birds get Pressured after the first 3 days of May. Sometimes even a old veteran like me gets Snakebite out there with Bad Luck. 

• Like 1

Did you ever hunt private land, Bill  ?.....I have hunted a good bit of public land, and most of the private land I have hunted, other people also had permission to hunt it....

I have killed gobblers on both private and public land...Hunting private land is not necessarily a slam dunk, even if you have sole permission..

Turkeys are turkeys.. If you find a gobbler  that does NOT have hens, he is susceptible....If you find one WITH hens, you will probably have to get lucky, either by calling in the hens or just being in the right place at the right time..

The idea that at some time later in the season all the hens will be nesting is a myth...A dominant gobbler is as likely to be with hens the LAST day of the season as the first day... There may be only a few days or a few HOURS when he is alone and looking for company, during the entire season... The trick is being there when he is ready to respond...You seem to being a good job of being there as often as possible....Just gotta find the right bird on the right day..

• Like 4

Right Pygmy!  Alot of Spring Hunters are ready to quit already. Thought, I would give some advice from a old Veteran in this video to keep them going out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Did you ever hunt private land, Bill  ?.....I have hunted a good bit of public land, and most of the private land I have hunted, other people also had permission to hunt it....

I have killed gobblers on both private and public land...Hunting private land is not necessarily a slam dunk, even if you have sole permission..

Turkeys are turkeys.. If you find a gobbler  that does NOT have hens, he is susceptible....If you find one WITH hens, you will probably have to get lucky, either by calling in the hens or just being in the right place at the right time..

The idea that at some time later in the season all the hens will be nesting is a myth...A dominant gobbler is as likely to be with hens the LAST day of the season as the first day... There may be only a few days or a few HOURS when he is alone and looking for company, during the entire season... The trick is being there when he is ready to respond...You seem to being a good job of being there as often as possible....Just gotta find the right bird on the right day..

This post should be a "sticky" here in the Turkey Section.  Also, we should all print it out and keep it in our wallet for those times when we need some common sense..........

• Like 4

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/