4 Beard Turkey Down

Ryan3m

I had this bird gobbling his head off Wednesday roosted on the neighbors farm about 300 yards from the end of the property I'm hunting. He flew downed seemed to be henned up that morning. Fast forward to Saturday morning when I brought my good friend and coworker hunting and helped him close the deal on that bird. We had set up early, and had the same bird roosted the same spot as Wednesday. I had thought nothing of it. Close to 400 yards from our position. Right around flydown the bird stopped gobbling. I gave some nice easy yelps with my wood haven custom glass call, and wasn't hearing any shootable birds In the area. I heard one gobble from that bird that was roosted on the neighbors property and it seemed closer, but I still hadn't thought anything of it. All of a sudden this bird gobbled 60 yards away, he had walked (probably ran) right to us. I had my buddy turn on my red dot, and turn around toward the road. At this point I had turned on my GoPro and got ready to record. I said "your shooting a bird today get your gun up". This bird crosses the road and comes at a fast pace through a small woodlot by the road and into the clearing we are in. My friend had a couple clear shots at this turkey but he kept whispering to me that he couldn't see him through the sight. It was a very stressful minute trying to keep this bird from moving away, and hoping he can take the shot. When I told my friend to turn on the red dot, he had pressed the button one time, which turns it on to the brightest setting. As he describes the whole red dot was covering the bird (as it was still very early and low light). Well he took the shot and dropped the bird. It was exciting and I shut the camera off right away, which I regret because of our insane freakout when we see what this bird actually was. I had gotten my friend his first turkey last year, and was able to get him this beautiful once in a lifetime bird this Saturday May 11, 2019. I am excited to say he will be getting the bird mounted in a gobble off the roost position from Bob at True Life Taxidermy. Bob helped us measure and record the bird to score at a whopping 104 which we will be entering into NWTF database. Here is the video. Congrats to my good friend Aric Blau on this turkey

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2327.JPG

• Like 26