Catskill Mtns.

Buckfever85

Eddie, my property is about 10 min from Villa ;)

We were at the Villa Roma in 2003 . It's an okay place . They get a lot of business from NYC and Jersey .

I took my fishing pole and did some fishing in the Deleware River . Didn't catch anything but had some fun . A DEC officer came over and asked to see my license (which I had in the car) . This is only the 2nd time in my life I have seen a DEC Officer while hunting or fishing since 1965 ........

Eddie, my property is about 10 min from Villa ;)

We were at the Villa Roma in 2003 . It's an okay place . They get a lot of business from NYC and Jersey .

I took my fishing pole and did some fishing in the Deleware River . Didn't catch anything but had some fun . A DEC officer came over and asked to see my license (which I had in the car) . This is only the 2nd time in my life I have seen a DEC Officer while hunting or fishing since 1965 ........

Eddie my property is only about 15-20 minutes from Villa Roma. Years are was fishing with my 4 sons all under 12 years old in Saugerties, they have a beach in town and was stopped by a DEC officer. Only time ever stopped.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
I live in the catskills and have been all my life. I live near a town called margaretville. So much woods and mountains around I love looking through them trying to spot a big buck.

Hey Forest I hunt just on the other side of the mountain from you in Westkill. I've also done some hunting in Fleishmans, many years ago. Did you fare well with all the flooding? Hope so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in the catskills and have been all my life. I live near a town called margaretville. So much woods and mountains around I love looking through them trying to spot a big buck.

I was just up there not long ago, bought a new shotgun from a place called DEL-Sport in Margaretville

Can a DEC officer stop you on private property, or only state land ?

They can stop you any where. In many places they have more authority then local PD and Troopers.

However, they are not permitted to trespass with out probable cause. They don't walk around private property for no reason.

• 2 months later...

Spoke to DEC Officer Damrath yesterday regarding this exact question, DEC authority. They don't have more authority than State Police, but they do need much less probable cause to do the things State Police is allowed to do, say search your trunk, enter your home, etc.etc. They do not need warrants to do something, if they feel it's ECL related. So yes, they can enter your property, and they will.

Edited by shawnhu