ODYSSEUS

Turkey Hunt Aborted-- My Jetta Just Smashed Into A Mature Doe...

I got out later today as the NJ State Park, I was going to does not open the gates until 8am or before if employees unlock the gate earlier. 6.45am, I was heading down RT.17m in Harriman and just driving past St. Marys Catholic Church. There is a big Cemetery right next to the Church and a Mature Doe can.e running from the Cemetery and across 17m. I never saw her... She was running in from the Drivers side. I was driving about 40mph. I had a line of Comuters behind me. I smashed into her with the middle of my Grill. She did a somersault in the air. I pulled over right away. The rest of the cars with people who saw this just whizzed on by. I parked in St. Marys Parking lot and checked for damage. Then locked up my Jetta and went looking for the Doe. I found a long skid marks and part of my car right there. No Doe. I was going right at the speed limit of 40mph. Headlights are undamaged and License plate is still there.Grill and the very center of my Jetta is pushed in some. Radiator looks untouched. No fluid was on St. Marys Parking lot.  I still have to see if, I can get the hood up.  This Jetta is a 2004 with a million miles on it. I probably won't have the front repaired. As long as, I can get that hood up.  What can you do... I have been driving since she 17 and this is the first deer that, I hit. No time to even hit the brakes. Probably good with the Mad rush Comuters behind me.  I have a bunch of pics to get up between the coming comments. My Nephew is a Top Mechanic and will fix that hood if, I can't get it to open.  I am dirt Poor and can't fix the damaged front though.  Pics are coming with deer hair to be seen.

You didn't get hurt. Hopefully you can get some repairs done and drive it another 200K miles.

• Thanks 1

Here is where she landed. A long skid mark. I don't see her surviving this. A part of my car is in that skid mark.

20190514_065540.jpg

1 minute ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I did not feel much of an impact. She was moving super fast. Will she survive deer hunters??

Her & her fawn are dead..........

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Bill, your insurance should cover all of the repairs except your deductible. It should be comprehensive coverage (which I assume you have), not collision coverage (which you may not have due to the age of the car).

9 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Bill, your insurance should cover all of the repairs except your deductible. It should be comprehensive coverage (which I assume you have), not collision coverage (which you may not have due to the age of the car).

On a car with a million miles, I'm betting he only has liability insurance. And I don't blame him. 

Glad you're ok.  I've hit a couple over the yrs.  Most were well over 3k in repairs. 

Edited by mowin
  • Thanks 1

Too bad you were unable to recover the deer , would have been nice to get a couple meals out of her.

Too bad you were unable to recover the deer , would have been nice to get a couple meals out of her.

Are you referring to her fawns you monster??

Bill I’m glad you’re ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

I figured too she was pregnant Lawdwaz.. Nothing, I could do. Never saw her until she was right in front of me. 

Glad you’re ok Bill, cars are easily fixed or replaced your health is way more important. Get revenge this fall and fill some DMP’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

if you're running it into the ground then just get the hood and everything fixed enough to latch and that's it.  sucks you just have liability.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

23 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Right Mowin-- just Liability insurance.

Are you sure? Comprehensive is a pretty cheap add-on. A co-worker who thought he had liability only had hit a deer last year, and was in the same situation as you car-wise. Older car, high miles. Turned out he had it after all and although they "totaled" the car, he got a nice check.

Glad you're safe. Too bad that skank toasted your hood though. She ruined your paint. But at the end of the day most important is the human life and by all accounts you made it out luckily unscathed albeit maybe a little shaken up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I will check into that Steuben Jerry. So many Deer In Orange County. I have had many close Misses over the Decades. I knew, I would hit a Deer at some point. 

30 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I will check into that Steuben Jerry. So many Deer In Orange County. I have had many close Misses over the Decades. I knew, I would hit a Deer at some point. 

Glad your OK - that's the important part!

I'm an old hand at hitting deer, I've hit seven in my life.

sucks bill. glad you're ok and sorry to hear about what will be a difficult financial situation. Hope it's just cosmetic. 

• Thanks 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Glad youre okay bill. Could have been way worse! I my self almost hit a doe last monday driving to go hunting. I had the high beams on and still didnt see the deer till it was almost too late. Too bad you can't find it, because itll more than likely die and would make at least a few nice meals for you. 

• Thanks 1

Glad you are okay . The front end damage will give the Jetta a little personality and be a conversation piece .

• Thanks 1

97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !