Hummingbirds ...

I have only seen a couple hummingbirds so far this year . We have had as many as 7 orioles at a time at the feeders . I made a feeder and put grape jelly in it . The Orioles pig out on that . Rose breasted grosbeaks have been plentiful as well as many other birds . 

I put the feeders out 2 weeks ago when one of the ruby throated hummingbirds greeted me when I got out of the truck one afternoon.  since then 3 more pairs have shown up so I put up the other 2 feeders as one of the males sets in the pine tree and dive bombs and chases away all other hummingbirds but his mate when they try to get to the feeder on the front porch. 

seems to be an abundance of birds this year and quite the variety have been daily visitors.  7 or 8 pairs of Baltimore Orioles, 2 pairs of orchard orioles, 2 pairs of indigo buntings,  9 pairs of cardinals, grosebeaks, goldfinches, bluejays, 20-30 doves, nuthatches, flickers, downy, redheaded, pileated woodpeckers,  and as of yesterday a pair of mallards, but have not seen the pair of wood ducks yet.

the oriole jelly feeder gets emptied in 3 days, I guess they like welches grape jelly. lol    I started using the nut and berry bird seed mix in the gravity feeders and those need filled at least every other day, the black oil sunflower feeder lasts about 3 days and the nyger seed feeder about 4 days.  an 80 lb bag of cracked corn and 2 80 lb bags of whole kernel corn a week gives good ground feed for the jays, starlings, grackles, red wing black birds, doves, sparrows, crows. the corn also helps immensely of keeping the 20 + grey squirrels off the feeders. 

• Like 1

The Orioles go through grape jelly real fast . They also hit the suet and the Hummingbird feeders so I put out a couple Oriole feeders . We get so many birds coming in that I think they scare the little hummingbirds .

I haven't tried any Orange slices for the Orioles yet . Gotta give that a try .

I have seen a few hummingbirds at our feeder in Akron this past weekend.  I also have seen a pair of birds that I thought were Orioles but now I am thinking they were something else... they were almost completely bright red, brighter than a cardinal and a tad bit bigger.  I should have snapped a few pics to see if we could identify them.

8 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I have seen a few hummingbirds at our feeder in Akron this past weekend.  I also have seen a pair of birds that I thought were Orioles but now I am thinking they were something else... they were almost completely bright red, brighter than a cardinal and a tad bit bigger.  I should have snapped a few pics to see if we could identify them.

Scarlet tanager?

A74623C6-9201-4768-A31B-3DF16B6EA300.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kpkot said:

I get those year round if I do the honey do list

You are a lucky man, my friend.....

For MOST of us, hummers are like Beef Wellington....You don't get that at home....<<sigh>>….

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Steuben Jerry said:

Had two of those in the back yard this morning. Love the looks of those birds!

only time i have ever seen these was turkey hunting .  Saw one about 5 years ago and my hunting buddy knew what it was and i actually also seen one this year as well.  They sure stand out and are bright. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

You are a lucky man, my friend.....

For MOST of us, hummers are like Beef Wellington....You don't get that at home....<<sigh>>….

I must say I make a mean Wellington out of deer loin. I'll call you next time I whip some up - but you're on your own for the other thing!

• Haha 3

I was busting my former bosses chops so bad because he said he saw a Baltimore oriole in his yard that I seriously thought he was going to punch me. I said it’s just an oriole ya dummy, were there any Toronto blue jays out there? Any St. Louis Cardinals? How about a Pittsburgh penguin?! Well the next day he marches in with an Audubon book and proudly proved me wrong, it’s actually a Baltimore oriole lol. I still feel like I won the exchange just because I got him so mad that he purchased a book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 5/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, fasteddie said:

The Orioles go through grape jelly real fast . They also hit the suet and the Hummingbird feeders so I put out a couple Oriole feeders . We get so many birds coming in that I think they scare the little hummingbirds .

I haven't tried any Orange slices for the Orioles yet . Gotta give that a try .

I'm not sure that anything scares a hummingbird. I watched two of them chase a gray squirrel right out of a pine tree one time. Then they came down and terrorized my friend's cat. It was not a cowardly cat by any means, but it was somewhat traumatized. :rofl:

My folks put their feeders out early, and they've had numerous sightings. Lots of orioles as well.