OH..Canada !!

Pygmy

After a couple of false starts, I am finally headed to Ontario Thursday morning, to hunt for 5 or 6 days...Weather looks pretty decent....

It may be one of my last hunts up there..My host is in poor health, and a couple of the landowners we hunt on are older than dirt...

• Like 20

1 minute ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Hopefully the owners family will still let you hunt if they don't go for the quick sell off.

Perhaps, Bill, but no guarantee,,One 300 acre parcel that we used to hunt changed hands a few years ago and the new owners were not anti hunters, but were non hunters and decided they did not want anyone hunting their land..That was my favorite place to hunt..Killed a few nice gobblers there, plus two big coyotes.....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Enjoy them all like they are the last.  Good luck Dan.  Have fun. 

When you call Canadian turkeys do you add an "aye" at the end?  

Actually Rob, a good number of the turkeys in the area I hunt were  trapped and transferred from right here in  NY southern tier in the late 1980s nd early 1990s, so they speak REDNECK NEW YORK.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Actually Rob, a good number of the turkeys in the area I hunt were  trapped and transferred from right here in  NY southern tier in the late 1980s nd early 1990s, so they speak REDNECK NEW YORK.....

Fred Evans, from Olean, probably did the trapping and relocating. Got to know him a bit. In his late 80's now.

1 minute ago, Merlot said:

Fred Evans, from Olean, probably did the trapping and relocating. Got to know him a bit. In his late 80's now.

Damn !!  Is Fred still kicking  ??  Bless his heart if he is....I met him back in the early 1980s when I first got  involved on the grassroots level with my local NWTF Chapter, The Twin Tiers Chapter....

Them are some old birds!!! You should be able to just kick out their walkers or something! Have fun...shoot straight(YOUR GUN!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Didn't know that , pretty neat.  Then you should be able to sweet talk them into range!  Good luck and have fun.  

• Like 1

Thanks, Rob....There were also some birds from Missouri  stocked in the area...The Missouri birds tended to be  somewhat heavier, so the first few years I hunted up there 23 -25 pound gobblers were  quite common...Now things seem to have leveled out...Most adult gobblers are from 18 to 21 pounds, similar to around here...

8 hours ago, ncountry said:

Good luck! What part of Ontario? 

Prince Edward County, near Picton….It is on the north shore of Lake Ontario about due north of Sodus Bay...

It's only about 125 miles north of my home as the crow flies, but it's about a 300 mile trip since I have to drive around the lake..

• Like 1