Memorial Day Camping

Moho81

Who’s all headed out for the first trip of the year next weekend?

We will be going back to Lake Eaton but this time it will be our maiden voyage armed with a hybrid camper. I’m looking forward to a long weekend and some quality family time.

d9b016d54e5088e36683530ff1dcaec8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Had planned to but closing on a house next week so I'll be working there! Enjoy the trip. We went to Allegheny a couple weeks ago, nothing like a nice weekend to camp. 

I will be on Barton in a cabin for this weekend... looks like a nice weekend for it too!

• Like 1

Nice rig Moho I didn’t know you bought one last year. I love my Hybrid camper but probably won’t get out till June-ish 

Didn’t buy it per say more like acquired it. A good friends parents where trying to sell it but couldn’t because it had some bad floor rot in the back. Friend and I decided to split the repair cost and our time and labor to fix the problem and share the camper as neither of us camp more than twice a year. So far we have about $400 into it and about 10 hours of time.

The floor will get finished just in time to take it out camping. If I remember right it’s a 2003 and besides the floor is in decent shape for the model year. It will be interesting camping in something like this as I’m so use to a tent.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Didn’t buy it per say more like acquired it. A good friends parents where trying to sell it but couldn’t because it had some bad floor rot in the back. Friend and I decided to split the repair cost and our time and labor to fix the problem and share the camper as neither of us camp more than twice a year. So far we have about $400 into it and about 10 hours of time.

The floor will get finished just in time to take it out camping. If I remember right it’s a 2003 and besides the floor is in decent shape for the model year. It will be interesting camping in something like this as I’m so use to a tent.

You’ll never go back to a tent. I hate sleeping in a tent 

Back in the ‘70s my family and another would go to Letchworth every Memorial Day weekend . This was before “ reservations “ much less the internet, my Dad would pull the camper down after work on Thursday   , just to get a good site set it up and come back home ,work Fri , then we’d go Sat  morning till Monday .

I think that was depending on a 3 or 4 day weekend ,  not to sure of dates .

My neighbors are big RV’ers ,they only camp April / May, then Sept/ Oct. weathers mostly still good ,no crowds at all, really like that idea .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

Sweet rig! All you need is a warm/dry place to lay your head at night...rest of the time is hopefully spent outside having fun! Don't forget the hobo pie maker....kids love that thing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Back in the ‘70s my family and another would go to Letchworth every Memorial Day weekend . This was before “ reservations “ much less the internet, my Dad would pull the camper down after work on Thursday   , just to get a good site set it up and come back home ,work Fri , then we’d go Sat  morning till Monday .
I think that was depending on a 3 or 4 day weekend ,  not to sure of dates .
 My neighbors are big RV’ers ,they only camp April / May, then Sept/ Oct. weathers mostly still good ,no crowds at all, really like that idea .

That’s our Labor Day. Usually Friday thru Monday at Letchworth. That ones usually 15-20 family members. We take up almost an entire loop and purchase one site just as the main gathering eating site. It’s a lot of fun

• Like 1

Sweet rig! All you need is a warm/dry place to lay your head at night...rest of the time is hopefully spent outside having fun! Don't forget the hobo pie maker....kids love that thing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’m not a fan of large campers at all because all your time should be outside. I almost feel this one is to big but it will be nice to have a nice big dry open area to get changed in and such. Even has a bathroom which I honestly don’t want to even use. The wife and kids are all about the bathroom but of course they won’t be the ones emptying the tank!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MPHunter said:

Not camping but heading up to my in-laws camp on Lincoln Pond in the ADKs.

We are doing the same, up on the NW corner of the Adirondack park.   I may try for a turkey, if I hear some gobbling on the hill tops surrounding the lake, when I go out fishing at daybreak each morning.   Using the oars instead of the outboard lets me hear that and all those other sounds of the woods and water waking up.  The loons and the beavers seldom disappoint, but some years (usually when I have tags), the turkeys have not shown up.    I never see any other "campers" out, at that time of year up there, at that time of day.   The only thing that gets me off the lake (besides a turkey) will be the smell of my mother in-laws fantastic breakfast, when I am drifting downwind.  

Our kids love hiking, the campfires, and grandma's cooking.  Swimming will probably have to wait until our next trip up, over the Fourth of July holiday, because the water will still be a bit too cold next weekend.   I have a tough time picking my favorite holiday/long weekend up there, and sometimes it is a four way tie.   Memorial day mornings on the lake are tough to beat, Fourth of July swimming and fishing are top-notch, Muzzleloader weekend offers good hunting and great fishing and wins on the years when it corresponds to peak fall foliage.   Thanksgiving weekend wins for the deer hunting, on the years with good tracking snow.   

We used to camp more when the kids were younger, and we still make a trip or two a year with our truck camper.  That burns more gas and is a bit more work than taking the mini-van up to the in-laws place, and it sucks to have to cook.   My wife is getting better at that, but she has a ways to go before she does it as well as her mother.   

49 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

What kind of snake ? The trillium flower is purty ( last pic ) 

It is a common northern water snake...Not venomous, but quite  aggressive/defensive and will strike readily if  you corner it or get too close..

The trilliums are beautiful..They are official flower of the Province of Ontario.. When I was up there gobbler hunting I saw some areas that were carpeted with them for acres and acres...TRILLIONS of trilliums..

Very nice pictures  !

• Like 2

It is a common northern water snake...Not venomous, but quite  aggressive/defensive and will strike readily if  you corner it or get too close..
The trilliums are beautiful..They are official flower of the Province of Ontario.. When I was up there gobbler hunting I saw some areas that were carpeted with them for acres and acres...TRILLIONS of trilliums..
Very nice pictures  !

They are mean sumbitches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

After a very long Sunday thru Wednesday staying up until midnight prepping the camper for this weekends trip we had a fantastic time and without the camper we would have canceled the trip due to weather. We had 2 evening/nights of rain and one extremely windy day. We visited the Olympic sites in lake placid and a place called The Wild Center in Tupper Lake.
8e7cf6fd4af474832f739c1dcb3e7beb.jpg319b6b0b5f051ad4a2e3d5c088f53b3b.jpg7f8d5e04d5e80bb92fb003e29e652aa6.jpg36d0556441eb6627c55ce4133fb7bb26.jpg9d9b0c086f8f037edbdaa79de6ab0dd7.jpg

• Like 4

After a very long Sunday thru Wednesday staying up until midnight prepping the camper for this weekends trip we had a fantastic time and without the camper we would have canceled the trip due to weather. We had 2 evening/nights of rain and one extremely windy day. We visited the Olympic sites in lake placid and a place called The Wild Center in Tupper Lake.
8e7cf6fd4af474832f739c1dcb3e7beb.jpg&key=62468adab91bf95931761abb5531ad9d09315923598e32edbb297b0a0b64d6be319b6b0b5f051ad4a2e3d5c088f53b3b.jpg&key=9d3a54c2304a0bab27bcd8ec55aca7f0db84ae45bae27476af2d0483bce8d0637f8d5e04d5e80bb92fb003e29e652aa6.jpg&key=3a99d2d6515903239750ce35539a5bd3c9ad00f7d69f31a6ef0fc80a4febb36336d0556441eb6627c55ce4133fb7bb26.jpg&key=32853a64e668736677d47a626ed7efebfb3b2a2d8e0258f7d0d0b42d8ceb50989d9b0c086f8f037edbdaa79de6ab0dd7.jpg&key=85a1a87314b95cae7b8da02b7297fdc7a4de44bad2f25ab0fd7869a524a24583

What’s on the grill...liver or beats??? Umm!?!?!?

What’s on the grill...liver or beats??? Umm!?!?!?

Believe it or not.... venison filets. The Smokey fire turned them dark but I can attest that they where fresh and delicious!!!!

• Like 1

The wild center is a great place.  Glad your camping trip was successful 

If you think the Wild center is great check out The Adirondack Experience in Blue Mountain about 45 before Tupper Lake.

They just installed a new interactive museum last year that’s awesome. I almost wish we went back their instead.

• Like 1