Would you support a $1 hunting license increase to help feed the hungry?

We are running a poll on our Facebook page. If you have Facebook, please stop over and participate. 

Would you support a $1 hunting license increase if the money went directly to the Venison Donation Coalition? These funds would pay processors of donated deer to provide health meals to the hungry across the state of NY only. 

https://www.facebook.com/GRSTQDMA/

$1 wouldn't hurt . Would like to see the money get into the right hands . I sometimes wonder how much of the donated venison gets to feed the poor . I used to always donate when I took any deer to a processor . 

It was my understanding that the State paid the processors for processing the donated deer . What would the extra money be for ? 

My big concern is the state ADDING the $1 to the license cost.  They are not asking for a $1 donation, they will be taking it no matter what.  I still think hunter's are already donating the deer and they started the program in spite of huge opposition from the state and special interests groups that didn't like it.  Hunters get almost no recognition at all for the program.  I don't expect we will get any if we pay an extra dollar in the future.

The problem of the hungry in NY is one that should be handled by many interest groups involved with the hungry and the homeless.  Maybe it's time to ask them to pay these  costs.

It's not the $1 that's at issue.  It's the state's attitude towards hunters regarding this program.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

$1 wouldn't hurt . Would like to see the money get into the right hands . I sometimes wonder how much of the donated venison gets to feed the poor . I used to always donate when I took any deer to a processor . 

It was my understanding that the State paid the processors for processing the donated deer . What would the extra money be for ? 

The state may provide grants to Food pantries and they can pay the processors but the money is not paid directly by the state. The VDC does pay the processors directly and that is no longer getting any money from the state. 

when and IF we are asked to donate to the venison donation when we buy our licenses that money is collected by the state and goes directly to the VDC to pay processors. Either because people don't know what this is all about (like I didn't), they don't want to donate or the licensing agents aren't asking, out of 532,149 hunting license sales last year, $3,000 was donated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rattler said:

My big concern is the state ADDING the $1 to the license cost.  They are not asking for a $1 donation, they will be taking it no matter what.  I still think hunter's are already donating the deer and they started the program in spite of huge opposition from the state and special interests groups that didn't like it.  Hunters get almost no recognition at all for the program.  I don't expect we will get any if we pay an extra dollar in the future.

The problem of the hungry in NY is one that should be handled by many interest groups involved with the hungry and the homeless.  Maybe it's time to ask them to pay these  costs.

It's not the $1 that's at issue.  It's the state's attitude towards hunters regarding this program.

I get what you are saying. But we can't control the other interest groups and their lack of effort. We know all too well the Left and advocates can be laser focused on the media splash and not spend much time on results. This IS something the hunters could so and get results and beat our chest a bit about it. This IS NOT something the state is proposing.  I am just looking at the number of licenses sold and honestly if it were even 50 cents per hunter we could fund the program at current levels with ease and never risk losing it. If they could pay a better market cost for the butchering we could expand the program and have processors much more conveniently located for us all. 

This program does a couple things. It not only provides the food to those in need but allows an outlet for meeting management goals in areas with high deer densities. Personally I have laid off harvesting does when my freezer hit capacity and I had given to family and friends that wanted some. I am in one of those areas that we never meet the harvest goals. That is an aspect we as hunters and managers of a resource should be concerned about and use as a feather in our cap...IMO

• Like 1

Id be on the fence about this one. I thought the butchers were already paid for the pogram? What is the need for another dollar increase. I'm in the same boat as rattler and have had a lifetime license for 10 years now so I dont have any skin in the game on this. 

• Like 1

Also a lifetime holder.   I would not trust NYS to take money anymore and put it where it is suppose to go.  They keep telling us that Social security will run out, what about welfare!  Seems one gets money put in then taken out while the other just has money taken out.  I simply do not trust Big brother to do the right thing, they keep doing the wrong things with money we give them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Not busting chops and part of this is my trying to see what thoughts or misconceptions are out there. Who do you think pays the butchers?

I was under the assumption that NYS was paying for it. I never donated any meat before so I never really thought about it. Is there a shortage of money for paying for the butchering? 

2 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I was under the assumption that NYS was paying for it. I never donated any meat before so I never really thought about it. Is there a shortage of money for paying for the butchering? 

big time. Some may get paid by the food pantry budgets that may have some State Grant money but what I have some to learn is that is never a guarantee and may of the butchers are paid by the VDC. The other wild card is the price the butchers are paid is below what they would charge if you or I took in a deer to have it cut up. That is why the participating butchers are so sporadic and can be spread out. You and I both know if it is costing them, they wont participate and if you have to drive 40 miles to find a participating butcher we probably aren't going to go. 

After Rattler's comment above I dug deeper to find actual hunting license sales for last year. (This does not include those that purchased a lifetime last year or any years prior)  343,258 hunting licenses sold. $3,000 donated through the licensing agents portals. That is pitiful. I am trying to understand if it is us as hunters that have no interest in helping or supporting an effort like this or is it the issuing agents not asking the question to donate or people just don't understand what the program is, what it does or how it is funded. ......or a combination of any of these. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

big time. Some may get paid by the food pantry budgets that may have some State Grant money but what I have some to learn is that is never a guarantee and may of the butchers are paid by the VDC. The other wild card is the price the butchers are paid is below what they would charge if you or I took in a deer to have it cut up. That is why the participating butchers are so sporadic and can be spread out. You and I both know if it is costing them, they wont participate and if you have to drive 40 miles to find a participating butcher we probably aren't going to go. 

After Rattler's comment above I dug deeper to find actual hunting license sales for last year. (This does not include those that purchased a lifetime last year or any years prior)  343,258 hunting licenses sold. $3,000 donated through the licensing agents portals. That is pitiful. I am trying to understand if it is us as hunters that have no interest in helping or supporting an effort like this or is it the issuing agents not asking the question to donate or people just don't understand what the program is, what it does or how it is funded. ......or a combination of any of these. 

I knew there was a discrepancy in what they get for the average guy and donations (usually around 50 bucks for donations and 80 for the average guy), but i figured it was more of a guranteed payment