ODYSSEUS

21 Days In And Finally A Gobbler!

Story to come. My 119th Wild Turkey + my 49th Longbeard.   Weight- 21lbs, Beard- 9 1/2", + Spurs 1 1/8"s. A 4 year old, I believe.

20190517_062609.jpg

• Like 24

congrats!!!! Persistence pays off! Hope I get out at least 1 day before the season ends but not looking good.

• Thanks 1

NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Congrats bill! Never give up, cause you never know when you'll get lucky. Glad you stuck with it and got a beautiful bird. 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Bill! Persistence paid off with a very nice bird! Way to go my friend!

• Thanks 1

OK!-- I could not post any pics on The ( Live) Thread.   This morning, I walked in at 4.38am which is 1 hour before Sunrise today. Walked in over 1 mile to where, I saw and heard multiple Gobblers only 1 week ago on a Long Ridge. No response to my Owl Hooter and later right at Sunrise- my Crow call. I walked to the other side of the Ridge. Plenty of new Turkey sign! I kept using my Primos Power Crow. No response. On walking West along a Slough, I heard a Blue Heron. A Gobbler shocked Gobbled to that sound. He was only 100 yards away. No good tree to set up against. I got between 2 Trees with a low Blowdown in front of me. I then pressed my Primos Jackpot Glass pot to my chest and Yelped 3 times. Then, I clicked+ Purred with the pot in front of me. GOBBBLLLLEEEEE!  Closing in he was. I repeated that series and got ready. On my Left Knee and my right foot-- kneeling  between the Trees with my shotgun barrel up on the Blowdown. On came the Gobbler fast! He came in on a half Strut while walking fast.  I had to very slowly dip my head down so he did not see the whites of my eyes. I let him come in to my preferred distance-- 25 yards and Fired. Finally!!! 21 days in and down from 230 to 225. That's the good part anyway. Luck to all this coming weekend.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

OK!-- I could not post any pics on The ( Live) Thread.   This morning, I walked in at 4.38am which is 1 hour before Sunrise today. Walked in over 1 mile to where, I saw and heard multiple Gobblers only 1 week ago on a Long Ridge. No response to my Owl Hooter and later right at Sunrise- my Crow call. I walked to the other side of the Ridge. Plenty of new Turkey sign! I kept using my Primos Power Crow. No response. On walking West along a Slough, I heard a Blue Heron. A Gobbler shocked Gobbled to that sound. He was only 100 yards away. No good tree to set up against. I got between 2 Trees with a low Blowdown in front of me. I then pressed my Primos Jackpot Glass pot to my chest and Yelped 3 times. Then, I clicked+ Purred with the pot in front of me. GOBBBLLLLEEEEE!  Closing in he was. I repeated that series and got ready. On my Left Knee and my right foot-- kneeling  between the Trees with my shotgun barrel up on the Blowdown. On came the Gobbler fast! He came in on a half Strut while walking fast.  I had to very slowly dip my head down so he did not see the whites of my eyes. I let him come in to my preferred distance-- 25 yards and Fired. Finally!!! 21 days in and down from 230 to 225. That's the good part anyway. Luck to all this coming weekend.

Nice story. Hard to get a better hunt than that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a well deserved bird. Your persistence is second to none..  

:drinks:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mowin said:

What a well deserved bird. Your persistence is second to none..  

:drinks:

X2.   Great bird Bill.  Way to keep at it. Congrats! 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Bill !

If you tell me you shot it with a pheasant load, you will not only have made my day, but my weekend as well!! :rofl:

• Thanks 1

Congrats!

Is that an 835 ulti mag with the ported 28" barrel?

• Thanks 1

"Stand Your Ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker, Lexington 1775

Skillet- that is the old original Mossberg 835. Regular Barrel and 24". Bought that in 1992. Uncle Nicky-- yes Indeed, I was shooting a Pheasant Load. Prairie Storm Ammo. 2 3/4" shell, 1 1/4 Oz's of #5s. 30 percent Nickel plated + 70 percent Copper plated. I read about Prairie Storm over at Old Gobbler. A number of Turkey Hunters were very happy with Prairie Storm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Bill! You're the definition of persistence in my book. That's a fine gobbler - very happy for you. Now go get longbeard number 50!

• Thanks 1

Great Job Billy! Dedication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

2 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Awesome hunt. Congratulations on a great bird.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again everyone! I finally had some Luck this morning . Hopefully, I can get another before June. I might try New Jersey 1 more time tomorrow. May 24th is the last day in NJ.

Congrats, go knock another one down.

Wish ł had the habit of keeping detailed logs, must be nice to go back through and reflect.

• Thanks 1