What kind of hearing protection you use for turkey hunting if any .

Hunter007

For  regular gun  season I  use  normal ear plugs  but I decided to buy  a pair of walker game ear muffs for turkey .

They work great you can hear every sound in the woods and stay protected. 

Definitely will be using them in every gun season from now on .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

I have always used ear protection while range shooting, but never for hunting. My hearing is going down hill fast. So I was considering the Walkers ear muffs for protection, and to hear better while afield. How is the sound clarity while using the muffs?

Just now, grampy said:

I have always used ear protection while range shooting, but never for hunting. My hearing is going down hill fast. So I was considering the Walkers ear muffs for protection, and to hear better while afield. How is the sound clarity while using the muffs?

Pretty good you can adjust the volume   I found it better to keep the volume low because there so sensitive I could here my self breathing was a little strange at first   picks up everything once you get the volume  lever adjusted just right you forget you have them on. I Definitely  recommend them . 

• Like 2

I use protection while doing any kind of shooting on the range or in the field hunting. I have taken some shots with out them because I couldnt get to my hearing protection fast enough though. I use the howard leight impact sport ones. They are pretty good and have good audio. Sometimes if i dont put them on perfectly I still get a little ringing in my right ear, but it goes away pretty fast. I messed up an opprotunity at a turkey yesterday because of the audio enhancment, but other than that theyre perfect. I will continue to use them. 

Also an added benefit is when i keep them on at the lowest power setting for duck hunting they warm my ears after a little while on. 

The only time I wear hearing protection is at the gun range , leaf blowing and cutting the lawn. I never felt it necessary to wear them hunting because I hopefully only have to shoot once. Besides which , my hearing is compromised anyway from attending many rock concerts. 

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

For  regular gun  season I  use  normal ear plugs  but I decided to buy  a pair of walker game ear muffs for turkey .

They work great you can hear every sound in the woods and stay protected. 

Definitely will be using them in every gun season from now on .

Do they help you hear the animals from afar? My hunting partner used to wear some kind of headset that he said made him able to hear a deer from like 50 yds away in the deep woods, well before he could see it...

2 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I use protection while doing any kind of shooting on the range or in the field hunting. I have taken some shots with out them because I couldnt get to my hearing protection fast enough though. I use the howard leight impact sport ones. They are pretty good and have good audio. Sometimes if i dont put them on perfectly I still get a little ringing in my right ear, but it goes away pretty fast. I messed up an opprotunity at a turkey yesterday because of the audio enhancment, but other than that theyre perfect. I will continue to use them. 

Also an added benefit is when i keep them on at the lowest power setting for duck hunting they warm my ears after a little while on. 

I use the exact same impact sport ones by Howard Leight. I use them for all types of gun hunting and won't go out without them. I got mine for $50 on Amazon and they are now just under $53. They are well worth the price.     valoroutdoors.com 

71ZH84zrwHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

My hearing is pretty bad and getting worse, constant tinnitus in both ears.  Very difficult to hear a bird, let alone pinpoint where the sound is coming from.  I have been thinking about something like this and looked at a in-the-ear set at Bass Pro, but they were over $250.  I really should get real hearing aids, but not sure if I can be using those in the woods when shooting.  

2 hours ago, CapDistPatriot said:

Do they help you hear the animals from afar? My hunting partner used to wear some kind of headset that he said made him able to hear a deer from like 50 yds away in the deep woods, well before he could see it...

Yea if you crank up the volume it  let's u  hear a little better then normal  you will  hear anything coming around you before you see it .

The more expensive ones  Walker makes   are even better at it but these are really good enough in my opinion. 

Edited by Storm914

Nothing in the field. I've tried the walkers game ears. Hated them. 

I've done lawn care for almost 25 years. I've always used earmuffs while working. My hearing is better than most my age. No ringing or other issues.

Always use hearing protection on the range. 

I use custom defendear plugs I had made specifically for hunting. I have a set of solid plugs for range trips and when I don't really need to hear. Then I have a set of electronic plugs that I think were right around $1200 a few years back that I use hunting. Too many shots with broken weatherby mags and shotguns have destroyed my hearing and I'm not even 30 yet. So the cost I figure is just a small price to pay to hopefully have some hearing when I'm older. I'll try and take a picture tonight if I remember

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, grampy said:

I have the walker razor slim.  They work well and are comfy.   Use them when target shooting.  You will hear fine but direction of sound is not as easy to pinpoint.   

• Like 1