How does your garden grow 2019

Five Seasons

Fun fact : stopped at 6 or so nurseries early in year looking for sugar snap peas and called a dozen more. Finally located some. Put some on hold , wife picked them up. She questioned the little plastic label saying peas. Woman says I planted those and mislabeled by accident. I got them in the ground in new planter boxes. Would wind feelers around trellis. We watered regularly. Woohoo , growing nicely. Ate a few and thought they were quite bitter. SOB they are regular peas   Ugh. Since then they didn’t yield much peas so I yanked them out to allow the peppers to have more room. At least I think they’re peppers :pleasantry:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Fun fact : stopped at 6 or so nurseries early in year looking for sugar snap peas and called a dozen more. Finally located some. Put some on hold , wife picked them up. She questioned the little plastic label saying peas. Woman says I planted those and mislabeled by accident. I got them in the ground in new planter boxes. Would wind feelers around trellis. We watered regularly. Woohoo , growing nicely. Ate a few and thought they were quite bitter. SOB they are regular peas   Ugh. Since then they didn’t yield much peas so I yanked them out to allow the peppers to have more room. At least I think they’re peppers :pleasantry:

We had great sugar snap peas this year. Already harvested. Got them at a little family nursery on rt 104 about a mile west of Wright's Corner ( rt 78) in Lockport.

10 minutes ago, goosifer said:

We had great sugar snap peas this year. Already harvested. Got them at a little family nursery on rt 104 about a mile west of Wright's Corner ( rt 78) in Lockport.

I hit every garden center on Transit road between my work and Lockport before I started making calls   I'll remember that for next year and not buy imposters

16 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I hit every garden center on Transit road between my work and Lockport before I started making calls   I'll remember that for next year and not buy imposters

http://larosegardencenter.com

My wife yelled at me for telling you.  She's worried you're going to get them all before she does next year. :P

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

TF, don’t bother with pre started pea plants, they easily germinate from seed right in the soil and as soon as you can work it.  Even early April is ok to plant peas.  If you can’t find seeds locally, try Harris Seeds out of Rochester. They have a website and will ship.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, grampy said:

Got the first five cukes out of the garden yesterday!!  Salad for dinner tonight, for Mrs grampy and I !!

we had a great salad sunday night with our first batch. goat cheese, strawberries, blueberries and some leafy greens. love the fresh cukes!

• Like 1

My little garden has got a while yet but I did pick a quart of blueberries and there are a ton more. I have one bush that is over 7 feet tall I had to stake as it was leaning over with so many berries I was worried.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Ok garden gurus. A bunch of our beefsteak tomatoes have these black markings/ hole like scars.  We looked for signs of tomato horned worms , eggs and droppings and found nothing.  What we got and how do we fix ? 

BBC516AA-11E6-4AB8-8B63-AA63F67EB95E.jpeg

90626D20-E35F-4760-8B95-9840E2BCB162.jpeg

I've had this before on my tomatoes. It's called blossom end rot.

https://bonnieplants.com/gardening/conquer-blossom-end-rot/

• Like 1

We've pulled a ton of squash and zuchs out of the garden already. A ton of green and yellow beans. And I have a jungle of grape and cherry tomatoes growing. I gave each plant about 5ft of room in between and supported them .. they are inter twined and all. and looks to be hundreds upon hundreds growing lol. Good thing my daughter lives off these things.. 

The garden is a mess this summer. oh well.. still produces thanks to the black muck soil its in.. 

Ok , guessing not under watered , not too much fertilizer, did use some compost in hole before planting so I’m guessing calcium deficiency is my problem. I hate tomatoes but planting growing them for mama TF.  Guess I’ll make a calcium spray. But yes spot is where flower was 

38 minutes ago, goosifer said:

That sucks, Jay. We get tomato blight a lot so this year we just did one cherry tomato plant in a pot.

i used to have a garden and the year i was dumping wheelbarrows of tomatoes because of that i bagged it.  They were coming in on 8 plants so much the plants were pulling the stakes out of the ground.  and then as soon as they rippened they were rotten.   Spinach was awesome that year.  I miss some things about the garden but not the time involved.  My Dad had 5 gardens when i was a kid.  Being a chef he was into it.  We ate swisschard with every meal for the summer!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pigmy said:

i too have been pulling out cucumbers and beans like crazy. but green bell peppers are just starting to flower. every year they take forever and I'm not sure why.

We picked our first bell pepper last weekend. Have a bunch more almost ready. Planted the first of June. Are you using any fertilizer? I use the Miracle Grow potting soil when planting, That seems to give them a good boost. Just put in a couple good handfuls in the hole and set plants in.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

We picked our first bell pepper last weekend. Have a bunch more almost ready. Planted the first of June. Are you using any fertilizer? I use the Miracle Grow potting soil when planting, That seems to give them a good boost. Just put in a couple good handfuls in the hole and set plants in.

I use some liquid miracle grow when i water. they did take a while to take off.

• Like 1