How does your garden grow 2019

Five Seasons

with the new house it's low on the list. won't have a garden this year, but i do have a a couple pepper plants and couple tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets. hanging strawberry basket too. keeping them pruned and they're starting to take off. been getting strawberries for a while but we're not talking quarts yet.

I got one in late, and very half assed. But thanks to the black muck soil in the back. Its doing very well. Finally got a fence around my beans so whatever it was cant go to town on them anymore. MY sweet corn is about 40% germ. lol. Looks pretty hideous. I made a small furrow like a no till drill would plant and seeded them the same way but by hand.. Not sure why it didn't do so well. crappy seed is my guess. Didn't get to order the good seeds this year. Ill take pics if i ever remember lol. Just don't mind the weeds haha 

How does everyone get rid of powdery mildew? Some of my squash plants have it.. Growing big and green.. but some have the plant herpes on them lol.. Never had a powdery mildew before. In good rich black soil that is well drained.. Thanks in advance.  

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

How does everyone get rid of powdery mildew? Some of my squash plants have it.. Growing big and green.. but some have the plant herpes on them lol.. Never had a powdery mildew before. In good rich black soil that is well drained.. Thanks in advance.  

yea i've gotten it multiple times on different stuff from cucumbers to zucchini to pumpkins. if it hasn't spread much yet then remove anything with it on it and get rid of it. don't just toss it nearby or in a pile off to the side. then use a quart of water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda in the early mornings. otherwise use fungicide spray. spray directly on anywhere you see the white fungus. if you're watering with sprinklers then do it first thing in the am versus at night. what helped me is using soaker hose ran down each row. manifold like setup you can buy with ball valves adjusts flow so certain rows will get more water than others.

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

yea i've gotten it multiple times on different stuff from cucumbers to zucchini to pumpkins. if it hasn't spread much yet then remove anything with it on it and get rid of it. don't just toss it nearby or in a pile off to the side. then use a quart of water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda in the early mornings. otherwise use fungicide spray. spray directly on anywhere you see the white fungus. if you're watering with sprinklers then do it first thing in the am versus at night. what helped me is using soaker hose ran down each row. manifold like setup you can buy with ball valves adjusts flow so certain rows will get more water than others.

I havent watered it once yet this year. Growing very well. couple plants have it on every leaf, some dont have it at all .. and the veggies are starting to grow now.. 

I havent watered it once yet this year. Growing very well. couple plants have it on every leaf, some dont have it at all .. and the veggies are starting to grow now.. 
If it progresses the veggies will never have time to grow. Itll rot and turn to mush. You not watering might be helping it not spread then.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

If it progresses the veggies will never have time to grow. Itll rot and turn to mush. You not watering might be helping it not spread then.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Think I can just apply the baking soda mix to the leaves and it will help rid it away? 

47 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Think I can just apply the baking soda mix to the leaves and it will help rid it away? 

maybe. when i had it, the plants where too far gone. it kept it at bay for a while to get some yield but eventually they got to the point i dug them up. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

i usually do a single application of seven. i'm not sure that helps with mildew but i have seen the yucky stuff disappear lol.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Belo said:

i usually do a single application of seven. i'm not sure that helps with mildew but i have seen the yucky stuff disappear lol.

Belo - Sevin is an insecticide - kills insects.  You need a fungicide - kills fungus..... 

LET EM GROW - Try "Tomato-Potato dust" - which actually is both an insecticide and a fungicide.  It is a good all purpose garden product.   If you want a fungicide alone, they are out there, even Home Depot has a good selection.  And probably a lot more organic stuff from when I was selling this stuff. 

Edited by Otto
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Otto said:

Belo - Sevin is an insecticide - kills insects.  You need a fungicide - kills fungus..... 

LET EM GROW - Try "Tomato-Potato dust" - which actually is both an insecticide and a fungicide.  It is a good all purpose garden product.   If you want a fungicide alone, they are out there, even Home Depot has a good selection.  And probably a lot more organic stuff from when I was selling this stuff. 

for some reason i thought it also had some fungicide in it. i might be thinking of my fruit tree spray. regardless i've seen my white powdery leaves get better on my squash after using it. maybe just a coincidence. 

4 hours ago, Belo said:

for some reason i thought it also had some fungicide in it. i might be thinking of my fruit tree spray. regardless i've seen my white powdery leaves get better on my squash after using it. maybe just a coincidence. 

Yes, Fruit Tree Spray is a insecticide/fungicide.  I'm not sure it is listed for use on vegetables such as squash, etc.   

Could be Sevin helped the powdery mildew - I'm not sure how though.  As far as I remember it is just an insecticide.

16 hours ago, Otto said:

Yes, Fruit Tree Spray is a insecticide/fungicide.  I'm not sure it is listed for use on vegetables such as squash, etc.   

Could be Sevin helped the powdery mildew - I'm not sure how though.  As far as I remember it is just an insecticide.

yeah you're definitely right. it's just an insecticide and no, i wouldn't use the fruit tree spray (shit smells like straight gas) on my veggies. I'm wondering if perhaps there's just enough of the chemical mixed with the water to help wash away the mildew and that conditions improved in parallel.