turtles

I seem to rescue a turtle or 2 off the road every spring on way home from turkey hunting . Grabbed a painted off the road last year and threw it in the hatch of my Outback into a box. thought I heard it scurrying around back there. When the next water source became available I popped the hatch, box empty, he was peaking out of the garment pocket of my golf bag. (I couldn't plop him in the pond I think he came from as it was a few hundred yards into someones yard and wasn't up for trespassing)

• Like 1

last year i was driving home from work and there is a truck backing up the other lane so i pull out of the way on shoulder cause i didnt know what the hell he was doing.....until...... i ran over the turtle he was trying to save.  Damn it! Prob made him curse and his kids cry, but i was watching him and not the turtle!  damn it! 

My buddy that worked for the DOT used to pick up snappers and throw them into the patrol truck.  One day i ran into him and he had six in the back.  He def liked turtle.  Always loved going to his cookouts and asking whats this??......could be anything from caribou to snapping turtle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll save a turtle in the road, but I won't die for it. I've picked many of them up and just taken them back from whence they came, giving them a stern talking-to along the way. ;-)

Hunting snappers with bowfishing gear is a different thing, however. That's some tasty meat.

FWIW the nasty bumps on the corners/turns of racing tracks are called turtles. Best to avoid them because you'll spit out a bunch of marbles of tire rubber shortly thereafter. not good for the suspension either.

Several years back I found a decent snapper crossing the road, and for the first time cleaned him up. I was amazed to end up with close to four pounds of beautiful red meat from him, and butchering was quite a bit easier than I anticipated. I got a recipe online from the Louisiana bayou chef Emeril (think I got that right)….soup was delicious, but the meat definetly needs tenderizing / long slow parboiling. What was most amazing, was a full six hours after chopping its head off, the heart was still beating!!

I once killed a decent sized snapping turtle with a bush-hog by accident.   I was surprised how easily it chopped up compared to a woodchuck that I got another time with the same machine.  The woodchuck nearly stalled the tractor but the turtle was barely noticeable. 

I have never been able to clean one in much less than half an hour  ...Three of us did 18 one morning and it was quite a chore..

Funny thing happened while we were doing it though...We were about halfway finished and a car pulled into the drive... Jehovah's Witnesses...

A young boy got out of the car in his Sunday best carrying his armload of  WATCHTOWERS....I walked out to meet him, blood from head to toe and holding a bloody knife in my hand..

He took one look at me,  turned kind of pale, and said " Maybe this isn't a good time"...And promptly retreated back to the car..

• Like 5
  • Haha 2