Scope Recommendations for a Ruger American 22 mag

I use a .22 mag quite a bit. It is a pretty good caliber out to 100-125 yards. I have a bushnell  1.5-6x 40 with a lighted reticle for hunting at night. Unfortunately they don't make it any more.

Before putting a lot of money in a scope I would see how the rifle shoots without a scope. If it shoots tight groups go with a good scope. If it doesn't shoot tight groups you are wasting your money on a high end scope.

.22 mags. also have a tendency to like a certain kind of ammo more than others. You may have to experiment to find the kind the gun will like. I was lucky and got a tack driver but mine is not a Ruger and is a semi-auto.

Hope it works out for you. It should be easy to find a scope in your price range that will do the job.

Thanks guys.  If the simmons winds up being a PoC I'll do the Nikon.  Told myself this would be a Year of the Gun for me.  Spent the last few years being a good boy and getting my overhead down, this year my wish list is long!  Hopefully early fall will be Bergara B14 HMR + VX2 time.  This ought to hold me over til then

The 22 Winchester Mag and I go back a whole lot of years and I have a special fondness for that cartridge, my Dad purchased a new Winchester model 61 pump when the cartridge was introduced and I put a big dent in the local chuck population with that rifle. I later purchased a new Mossberg bolt action "Chuckster" rifle for my own and continued a Chuck hunting rampage with it.

The premium ammo produced today has made the Maggie very versatile with a wide variety of bullet weights of super quality and capable of gilt edged accuracy, it will perform well on varmints from Coyote on down within it's range.

These days I have a super accurate Remington 597 autoloader and a Ruger 77/22 Mag varmint bolt action which is a pretty good shooter also. The Remington is used for varmint calling in the woods for short to moderate ranges, it wears a 2X7 Nikon shotgun scope. The Ruger is used mostly for Chucks walking open fields and it wears a straight 8X Leupold with some potentially long shots, so what I am trying to get across is I scoped each rifle to the way it is used.

Don't have any experience with the Ruger American myself but from all the reports I have read about them they are real shooters, there are many good quality scopes to be had so purchase the best scope you can afford to take advantage of the Ruger American's potential.

Congrats and have fun with your new 22 mag.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

Plus 1 for the Simmons 22mag... I have a couple never had any problems with them..

X2. I bought a silver one to put on a used Savage stainless steel 22 mag I came across a couple of years ago. Works good enough and was very inexpensive. Can't put good glass on everything! MOA calc was the last three on top of the bullseye.

IMG_5224.JPG

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5226.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Really appreciate the feedback guys!  You fellas with Simmons, did you uses the rings that it came with, if not what did you use?  Reviews I've read say the rings are..... Not great.

I don't recall if mine came with rings or not, but I bought Weavers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Really appreciate the feedback guys!  You fellas with Simmons, did you uses the rings that it came with, if not what did you use?  Reviews I've read say the rings are..... Not great.

i really don't remember, but i searched my inbox quickly to see if i bought any and seems if i did, it wasn't online. So i must be using the rings it came with. Been at least 6 years and some decent time after squirrels with it, and haven't had an issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Scope isn't bad, definitely tell the difference when I pick up my VX 2 though!  Need to try out some different rounds in it, not quite dime shooting at 100 yards yet.  Not bad though!

I like the tension pull on the American trigger.  So far so good!  Just need a coyote or a Chuck in my sights now!

• 2 years later...

I'm ashamed to admit, I haven't really had this poor young lady to the range since 2019, so I broke her out today.  Maybe I was having a bad day the last time I shot her, but she's shooting real nice now!  Was pinging the medium sized plates at 180 yards 4/5 shots.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, lethouel said:

It is a good scope. But it all depends on what type of hunting you are going to. For example, the scope ring of the scope you shared is too small for hunting ducks. While hunting ducks, you keep your rifle in your hands, and it isn't comfortable to scope without a big scope ring. I suggest you find a way to determine the scope ring height for your scope so that you would buy the perfect scope for your rifle. But if you are going to deer hunting or other terrestrial animals, this scope is good enough.

It depends though. If you are focusing on head shots with the 22 mag on ducks, then I agree, the scope ring isn’t big enough, especially once they get out to 300-400 yards. However, if it’s a duck drive, and your shooting under 100 and just trying to get some lead in them, it’s plenty. The other thing about the close range duck hunting is that the rifle does leave your hands, since you need to throw it at the ducks to get them moving. 

Personally, I find the 22 mag to be a bit of over kill on deer and most other terrestrial game. I prefer to throw a few extra pumps on my old Daisy and call it a day. The BB has plenty of knockdown power, and doesn’t destroy the meat/hide as much as the 22 mag. 

Great first post by the way, welcome!

• Haha 4