How old were you when you learned to shoot?

Feel like my 6 year old is still a couple years too young to learn.  When I thought about it I honestly cannot remember how old I was.  I remember being turned loose with a crossman pump BB gun, and shooting a single shot .22 with my cousins, but not how old.  Couldn't have been much older than 8?

What about you party people?

Ide say around 2nd grade is when i got my first daisey bb gun.  So 7-8 ish.  By 10 i was walking around my grandmas farm with a single shot 22 taking out starlings and frogs and a squirrel from time to time. My daughters have been shooting since they were 5.  And at 8 they had permission to shoot bb guns without me being with them all the time.  I decided to teach them as young as possible simply because i wanted them to learn gun saftey as early as possible so it stuck with them for life.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 3

0a80623b669c843a0abf1ef398908171.jpg

I was 4 when I started shooting this weatherby off “chuck sticks” Tripod laying down in prone position. The day this pic was taken, I leaned in too much since gun was hard to shoulder and knocked a few baby teeth out. I saw blood everywhere and immediately thought I shot myself somehow. I was gunshy for a few months afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was 4 when I started shooting this weatherby off “chuck sticks” Tripod laying down in prone position. The day this pic was taken, I leaned in too much since gun was hard to shoulder and knocked a few baby teeth out. I saw blood everywhere and immediately thought I shot myself somehow. I was gunshy for a few months afterwards

Born a Jets fan? 

First gun I ever shot was when I was 19! No hunters in my family (except my priest uncle who died too young and spent his time with me teaching me to golf)and only went hunting for the first time with my college roommate and his family my junior year of college after heating stories about his hunting trips with his family. Still not much of a “gun guy” but I did love bird hunting when the pup was young (and bow season wasn’t until 10/15)

Grew up in the city and spent my career in cities. Though I took to a weekend outdoor life of climbing and hiking, hunting was something those other guys did and I was probably an anti in my 20's. There was one guy in my high school that hunted ducks but I thought he was weird.

Putting it off for so long is one thing (of many many many things in life) I regret.

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What in the world?  Don't want to rag on your father, but who gives a 4 year old a Weatherby to shoot??

• Like 1

What in the world?  Don't want to rag on your father, but who gives a 4 year old a Weatherby to shoot??

It was a .224, not a big caliber. Barely any kick. It was just a little long for me. I wasn’t shooting unsupervised. I also shot a crossman Co2 pellet gun a lot as well.

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It was a .224, not a big caliber. Barely any kick. It was just a little long for me. I wasn’t shooting unsupervised. I also shot a crossman Co2 pellet gun a lot as well.

A .224 is too much for a 4 year old as you unfortunately found out.  Mom must have been real happy when you came home all bloodied up and missing some baby teeth, huh??

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My mom has a vhs tape of my 2nd birthday party of me shooting balloons off the mailbox with a red Ryder.

I almost lost an eye doing just that. The BB came right back at me and hit the end of the barrel. Didn't break the balloon. I heard the metal sounding "tink" after the shot and the balloon moved. SO I tried it again and then realized what was happening. BB's are ricocheting mothers and I am not a fan. Started my daughter out on the pellet gun. I think the pellets are safer IMO 

• Like 3

A .224 is too much for a 4 year old as you unfortunately found out.  Mom must have been real happy when you came home all bloodied up and missing some baby teeth, huh??

You live and you learn

I almost lost an eye doing just that. The BB came right back at me and hit the end of the barrel. Didn't break the balloon. I heard the metal sounding "tink" after the shot and the balloon moved. SO I tried it again and then realized what was happening. BB's are ricocheting mothers and I am not a fan. Started my daughter out on the pellet gun. I think the pellets are safer IMO 

Yea I never had a BB gun, my cross man shot those mushroom pellets. Good enough to kill squirrels, chipmunks, and crows.