How old were you when you learned to shoot?

Other than a bb gun, I started later in life as my family didn't hunt.  But Natalie started with a pellet gun at around 6 and is now shooting a 22 at 10.  Want to gradually move her up (223 next) so that she doesn't develop any flinches from too much kick or lose teeth like Biz.  lol

• Like 2

i'm still learning how to shoot. no idea when i started though.  i'm thinking i was barely old enough to wipe my own a$$ when i started. sitting in front of a NES screen playing Duck Hunt against my older cousins and family member it likely became blatantly apparent i was a prodigy.  shortly after i graduated to a Daisy carbine BB gun that wasn't anymore accurate than the county fair airguns. then the pellet guns. then by pre-teen years whatever i could get my hands on. in highschool it was anything from a rimfire to up to my dad's 300 win mag.

...that's the story i'm sticking too anyway.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Want to gradually move her up (223 next) so that she doesn't develop any flinches from too much kick or lose teeth like Biz.  lol

Actually, maybe knocking out ones baby teeth with the recoil of a Weatherby rifle is good childhood preventive dentistry since Biz seems to have a good set of teeth in adulthood.   He certainly likes to show them off in the numerous pictures he's posted of himself.  LOL

imageproxy-1 2.jpg

• Like 1

Don't remember exact age, but certainly pre-teen. The BB gun came first, followed shortly after by the single shot 22lr. with open sights. I also remember many critters cooked over a open fire, and my mom making "surprise stew" !!

Went in to the Army at 17. Learned the finer points of shooting there. Was lucky to meet a couple guys who shot for the US team, and were sniper qualified. Spent a bunch of my free time at the range with them, and learned a bunch!!!

Still don't consider myself a great shot, compared to really good shooters, but I do ok.

Edited by grampy

My uncle got me started on hunting at 14 which was the legal age to hunt small game at the time, but the one thing he did not do enough of was have me shoot at targets to improve my shooting ability.  He'd pretty much give me the ammo to hunt with, but didn't really want to burn too much of it at targets for practice.  I'd say I was in my 20's already before I really learned the skill of shooting by going to the rifle range frequently on my own.

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Actually, maybe knocking out ones baby teeth with the recoil of a Weatherby rifle is good childhood preventive dentistry since Biz seems to have a good set of teeth in adulthood.   He certainly likes to show them off in the numerous pictures he's posted of himself.  LOL

imageproxy-1 2.jpg

Dentures

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And I thought I was a big spender paying for braces for 2 family members.  lol

She had nearly all the cash saved up and we were only engaged at the time, so I couldn’t really say no. I negotiated a decent cash deal. The guy (Dr. Apa) is uber famous now, so I can’t imagine what he charges these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started with a pump Crossman at about 14 ish once my paper route paid enough to get one.  Moved up to a 30-06 once I hit 18 and was able to hunt deer. 

And stop bashing fake teeth!  They take a lot of pain to get!  lol

Edited by NFA-ADK

I remember having a gun put in my hands as early as I can remember. It couldnt shoot, but I was taught safety and how to handle a gun that way. I don't think I was more than 4 or 5 when I started shooting a .22. I started earlier than most, but ive been around guns my whole life. For some reason I didnt start shooting a BB gun until i was in the 3rd or 4th grade for some reason. 

I was 4 when my Dad had me at camp shooting the .22. He was right there with me of course..It is probably one of the earliest memories I have. I can remember getting mad that my dad could hit the tin cans and I couldn't. 

I'm not sure how old I was when I got my Daisy Powerline 880. I would guess 7 or 8. I shot thousands of BB's and Pellets through that gun. Never managed to shoot my eye out. I remember my Dad being shocked that it would go right through an old coffee can. 

• Like 1

I think I was about 8 or 9 when I was first being taught to shoot by my father and uncle on the farm. Loved it when I was able to hunt chucks back then after milking chores...still do like to pick off chucks.

I was around 6 or 7. I use to go rabbit hunting with my uncle along the rail road tracks in silver creek. 

We would hunt for a couple of hours then target shoot afterward. First guns i remember shooting were the 1377 american classic bb/pellet gun and his SKS.