New Xbow legislation for 2019 introduced

nyslowhand

Strictly an FYI for those wondering whatz going on this year. Not meant as an open invitation to express your pro/con opinion, yet again! We all know where everyone stands, many times over!

Got this notice from NYCC when cking my eMail late Wed evening. Most interesting provision, if I'm reading correctly, is to allow the DEC to implement Xbow useage, seasons, a legal implement, etc. The bad news is these bills were refereed to each house's Enviro Cons sub-committee. With only ~13 working days left before summer recess, it'd be some unheard of "swift actions" by our NYS legislators to get these bills thru the approval process & on Czar Andy's desk. I'm still unclear about the reference to a "special archery season", WTH is it!?! Anyways, here's the cut/paste body of the announcement, with membership & leg contact pleas omitted...

New Crossbow Bills Introduced

Last week Assemblywoman Carrie Woerner and Senator Jen Metzger introduced crossbow bills. These bills are not full inclusion but they offer significant movement toward it. 

A7627 (Woerner)/S5818 (Metzger) 
What do these bills do?
  • Changes crossbow to the bowhunting privilege from the muzzleloader privilege
  • Replaces the special longbow season with a special archery season and adds crossbow
  • Allows 12 - 15 year olds to hunt with a crossbow (removes the prior prohibition on 12 and 13 year old's)
  • Authorizes those 55 years old or older to use a crossbow in a special archery season
  • Authorizes those physical unable to draw a longbow as determined by a physician to use a crossbow in a special archery season
  • Allows youth to hunt wild small game and wild upland birds with a crossbow
  • Changes the term bolt to arrow
  • Removes the 200 lb maximum draw weight and the minimum 17" width restriction
  • Repeals the prohibition on the use of mechanical devise with a bow and authorization (permit) for disabled hunters to use crossbows which may be discharged only using one's breath
  • Authorizes DEC to adopt regulations authorizing the taking of wildlife using a crossbow and to include a summary of such regulations in the hunting syllabus
  • Reduces the setback to discharge a crossbow to 150 feet consistent with a long bow 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Again... that section allowing 55yo to use Xbows during the special archery season. WTH is that season!!?!!

They have to make a new season to be determined by dec as previous law made it a crossbow/muzzleloader 2 week season in November. Being classified as a bow they cant put it in that season.. but they can make the season what ever they want... so technically could be concurrent with current archery season and thus be full inclusion thru the back door if you will. Wording it so important

• Like 1

This sounds good, I like the introduction of the physical in able to use it and anyone 55 and over. thats great. Though i do see this as a move thru the backdoor as Gman stated. Changing wording around and such... Why would you have to do that, if not trying to sneak your way in.. Jus sayin  

I like this proposal. I will continue to hunt with my compound. But on those days when my shoulders just won't allow me to pull the 48lbs on my compound bow, the crossbow will still allow me to be be out there to hunt. At this point, that is the most meaningful thing for me. Just being out there.

Also the designation from Muzzleloader to Archery, makes much more sense. As an archery endorsement would be needed to hunt with a crossbow.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, grampy said:

.....Also the designation from Muzzleloader to Archery, makes much more sense. As an archery endorsement would be needed to hunt with a crossbow.

... makes more sense and NYS legislation, don't see those terms together a lot!!! Joking,  of course... maybe!

Hope you're saying a bow hunting license with required bow hunter safety course. I'm all-in for that! Which BTW, means it'd be hard to give a specific season date range for Xbows within archery season if a Xbow were truly designated a bow.... Be like telling the long bow hunters they can only hunt a certain date range within the bow season even though they are using a "bow"!!?!! FYI - This whole FUBAR terminology thing got initiated in 2014 NYS Xbow legislation when lobbying groups got their way and Xbows were compared to MLs and that lic was required. Thank you NYS legislators... sarcasm!

Still confused about the "special archery season" verbiage. DEC's website casually mentions it a few times, but there is never a reference to when/where that season exists.

I'd be happy if all but one of the line items were removed from this bill and have it strictly X'fer Xbow regulating authority to the DEC. Where it belongs!!!

• Removes the 200 lb maximum draw weight and the minimum 17" width restriction

That part is great news  especially if you  like recurve  crossbows  . 

I think personally the removing the 200ib draw limit really only needs to apply to recurve crossbows that don't have the mechanical advantages of cams  . But what ever  The rest does  not bother me either way . More or  less a Good bill in my opinion.  

IRC, the 2014 (current) Xbow regulations with 200#/17" restrictions was a sort of "back-handed" way of not allowing the newly (in ~2014) developed reverse draw Xbows in the woods.

Not to beat a dead horse - but when you put a fanatical lobbyist group and clueless legislators in a room to come up with a bill, this dumb-a$$ stuff happens!

• Like 2

If they are worried about them getting to powerful  .

The  fair way to do it is just limit everything to a certain fps limit . And let the engineers build them in any shape and form they want .  There is a physical upper limit to how fast then can go anyway .

i've always supported the age and disability thing. Not sure I agree with removing the limitations though. So this muckies up the waters for this bill for me.

also i dont understand this, Replaces the special longbow season with a special archery season and adds crossbow

Edited by Belo

Assembly Bill A7627A has been assigned a "Same As" bill in the Senate: S5818A

Assembly Bill A7627A has been assigned a "Same As" bill in the Senate: S5818A

Assembly Bill A7627A

Relates to hunting and hunting licenses; repealer

Sponsor:

WOERNER

Recent Actions:

Review A7627A on NYSenate.gov

What this Means:

In New York State, both the Senate and Assembly must pass a bill before the Governor can consider it for signature (approval) or veto (rejection). S5818A is an identical version of A7627A in the Senate. Experienced observers know that a bill with a “same as” in the alternate house is an important early sign that a bill could pass both the Senate and Assembly. It indicates that individual lawmakers in each house are supportive of the bill.

What Happens Next:

The committee may amend the bill to satisfy concerns of committee members, leave it as is, or refer it to another committee for further deliberation. The bill may be reported to the full Senate chamber for consideration if a majority share of the committee members support it. If a bill has not been addressed by the committee by the end of the two-year legislative term, the bill is said to have 'died in committee'.

What Can I Do?

You can subscribe to email alerts for S5818A at the following URL: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2019/S5818A. Additionally, all members of the Senate welcome legislative feedback from constituents at nysenate.gov. When you use the New York State Senate website to officially support or oppose this bill, your feedback will be shared directly with your senator

• Like 3

^^^ ... and with only ~12 working days (sessions) left to get any progress on these bills, as always being referred to the Enviro-Conser sub-committee  has been a death sentence.

JMO, but think the last minute legislative sessions this year will be filled with debates on legalizing marijuana for Czar Andy. Go figure...!

• Like 2

^^^ ... and with only ~12 working days (sessions) left to get any progress on these bills, as always being referred to the Enviro-Conser sub-committee  has been a death sentence.
JMO, but think the last minute legislative sessions this year will be filled with debates on legalizing marijuana for Czar Andy. Go figure...!

As they should be. He made it a campaign promise. Not crossbows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 12:38 AM, nyslowhand said:

leaves committee and still needs to be read and voted on. you lost half that time left by default.

will be working on a trespassing bill i think in the future. no reason the help this thru in the next session if needed. write your reps now though!  more importantly if in committee you contact everyone on it, especially the chairs office. ask your friends to do so as well.  Woernor helped us (QDMA) with the poaching bill, now this, and likely the trespassing bill. she's a champion for outdoor sportsmen (and women) in a time where they are few and far between.

Since the NYS legislators recessed for the summer on Wednesday (6/19) with no announced passing of the Xbow bill, assuming it never got out of the sub-committee &/or to the voting stage! BTW - legislation that does not get passed  before summer recess typically never resurfaces again! Better luck next year, seems to be the NYS' pro-Xbow slogan!

46 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Sorry to hear that.

I think there are many sorry to hear that.

Especially some of the older hunters like myself, who are having difficulty drawing their bows. 

Hopefully full inclusion will garner more support next year, or the year after.

I thank Ric at the Crossbow Coalition for his tireless work on this each year. And highly encourage anyone interested, to support Ric and the CC.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grampy said:

I think there are many sorry to hear that.

Especially some of the older hunters like myself, who are having difficulty drawing their bows. 

Hopefully full inclusion will garner more support next year, or the year after.

I thank Ric at the Crossbow Coalition for his tireless work on this each year. And highly encourage anyone interested, to support Ric and the CC.

Yes Rick does a great job and thanks for all you do!

But unfortunately until one certain Long Island politician is elected out of office, this will never get moved out of Encon Committee.