New Xbow legislation for 2019 introduced

nyslowhand

I honestly feel the decision should be made by NYSDEC.  And not used as a political pawn, by certain city politicians, who have no clue about hunting, and have never held a bow of any kind in their hands.

Hopefully someday I'll get to post a "Happy Dance" picture too...........grin.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Well at least one member is happy!

We are all entitled  to our own reasons for or against full inclusion of crossbow.

Belo has stated his stance many times, and I respect that.  And I  agree to disagree. 

What about Doc ?  I have not heard from him in a while.  I hope he is doing ok.    I am thankful that crossbow still has the very best two weeks to deer hunt in the Southern zone of NY state.   Fortunately that has been enough for me to get a buck with one on all but one year since 2014.  A little more than the current (3) days before the guns come in, including some weekend time, wound have been nice up North.   

I am also thankful for a little more time to fall turkey and squirrel hunt, and that I do not need to upgrade my cheap, entry-level crossbow.  What I have now is plenty good enough for 17 days of legal hunting.      

wolc123, as with any decision regarding change, we will not all agree, as we all have different reasons to support or not support any change. I too am very thankful for the best two weeks of the deer season to be able to use crossbow, if I choose to. 

To each their own. Simple as that.

I still will be out with my bow, for as long as I can draw the string. The bow has been my true passion for decades now. And will remain so, even if full inclusion is passed.

as previously stated, I would have strongly supported this:

• Authorizes those 55 years old or older to use a crossbow in a special archery season
  • Authorizes those physical unable to draw a longbow as determined by a physician to use a crossbow in a special archery season

can't get behind a lot of the other parts though, and therein lies the problem with our legislative system.

• Like 1

Our legislative system is the problem ... it's being tossed  around   as political leverage because they have no dog in the fight ... They could care less except one.   He is happy it is used this way as it will always be just filler to be tossed aside at the last second . It needs to be introduced as a stand alone bill and not pushed off on a do nothing committee.   DEC  should have control  and make the decisions  not a handful of twits in Albany. 

9 hours ago, Belo said:

giphy.gif

Well Mrs Belo is quite the dancer !

If a crossbow fires in the woods and no one is around to hear it ....

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, grampy said:

I thank Ric at the Crossbow Coalition for his tireless work on this each year. And highly encourage anyone interested, to support Ric and the CC.

Uhm,.. err, ... maybe!?! Granted I was a member of NYCC from 2014-2018 and followed their lobbying/legislative bills closely.Exact same bills introduced in 2015, 16, 17 & 18 with similar results. New revised bill introduced this year was different & unique, but introduced at 11th hour of legislative session. Really hate to criticize the sole group responsible for advancing any Xbow legislation, but....

Hell, I'd even agree to an extra Xbow license fee if revenue is what motivates NYS legislation and Czar Andy.

• Like 1

Uhm,.. err, ... maybe!?! Granted I was a member of NYCC from 2014-2018 and followed their lobbying/legislative bills closely.Exact same bills introduced in 2015, 16, 17 & 18 with similar results. New revised bill introduced this year was different & unique, but introduced at 11th hour of legislative session. Really hate to criticize the sole group responsible for advancing any Xbow legislation, but....
Hell, I'd even agree to an extra Xbow license fee if revenue is what motivates NYS legislation and Czar Andy.

Yeah at some point members of special interest groups have to decide if it’s ever going to work and if they’re happy with leadership, and so it doesn’t sound like I’m being critical of this guy, it’s a big reason I left NYB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not like there's an election process or a waiting list of those willing to step forward to take over the command of either group you mentioned! Granted, also assuming it's a part-time job for either org leader and a tiresome one at that! Kudos to either for what they are attempting to do, regardless of whether I agree with their decisions or not!!!

Just too many behind the scenes political issues to give any Xbow legislation a fighting chance of a simple pro vs con vote.

• Like 2

Still, you'd have to get a majority of the legislators to pass this constitutional amendment, with most being from the greater NYC area. Twice, if IRC! They  have no vested interest in this idea, since upstate issues are of little interest to them. Not to mention this action also takes a popular vote by NYS residents. BUT G-Man, you are on the right track regardless! Simply submit a bill to put this decision on Xbow implementation in the hands of the DEC w/o all the added verbiage like has been included in the past.

Thing that bewilders me is after years of failed Xbow legislation for all of NYS, why hasn't it been proposed selectively at the county level? Is this so much different than the adaptation of rifles in shotgun only SZ areas per county? Clue me in....

Edited by nyslowhand

1 hour ago, nyslowhand said:

Still, you'd have to get a majority of the legislators to pass this constitutional amendment, with most being from the greater NYC area. Twice, if IRC! They  have no vested interest in this idea, since upstate issues are of little interest to them. Not to mention this action also takes a popular vote by NYS residents. BUT G-Man, you are on the right track regardless! Simply submit a bill to put this decision on Xbow implementation in the hands of the DEC w/o all the added verbiage like has been included in the past.

Thing that bewilders me is after years of failed Xbow legislation for all of NYS, why hasn't it been proposed selectively at the county level? Is this so much different than the adaptation of rifles in shotgun only SZ areas per county? Clue me 

I believe Wyoming county had it's own bill this year

On 6/22/2019 at 5:12 PM, G-Man said:

This could all be avoided with a nys constitution amendment for right to hunt and fish to be regulated by dec... 

there is a second side to that amendment that we should all be weary of though. While I mostly agree that the politicians have no understanding or idea of many of our issues, and that the DEC is largely made up of well educated and well meaning individuals, just giving them power to do whatever removes our ability to advocate for change. We would have no vote. If the DEC wanted to eliminate the bear season or fall turkey or just create a single deer season with all weapons we couldn't stop them. Whereas now we can at least try and lobby and vote in politicians. Or annoy them to the point where they stop the DEC. 

I'm not sure if I'm right about how all this stuff works, but I do believe I'm generally correct with the idea of what I'm trying to get at. lol.

there is a second side to that amendment that we should all be weary of though. While I mostly agree that the politicians have no understanding or idea of many of our issues, and that the DEC is largely made up of well educated and well meaning individuals, just giving them power to do whatever removes our ability to advocate for change. We would have no vote. If the DEC wanted to eliminate the bear season or fall turkey or just create a single deer season with all weapons we couldn't stop them. Whereas now we can at least try and lobby and vote in politicians. Or annoy them to the point where they stop the DEC. 
I'm not sure if I'm right about how all this stuff works, but I do believe I'm generally correct with the idea of what I'm trying to get at. lol.
I have mixed feelings about this. I think (which my bride has always told me is when trouble starts) that out West, the dfw / dec equivalents all have the authority this bill attempts to convey. They seem to do a pretty decent job of management, without the interference / bureaucracy of legislative bodies. You are right, though, that power in the wrong hands can go bad fast.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, tarheel95 said:

I have mixed feelings about this. I think (which my bride has always told me is when trouble starts) that out West, the dfw / dec equivalents all have the authority this bill attempts to convey. They seem to do a pretty decent job of management, without the interference / bureaucracy of legislative bodies. You are right, though, that power in the wrong hands can go bad fast.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I'd still think the risk is less if the DEC had the reins. Let's face it. In NY it will always be a Democrat controlled state barring the City sliding into the ocean. The downstate Legislators don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to conservation and management efforts. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Belo said:

When I said dec I should of stated game department. Almost all states have seperate game from environmental. And as an amendment of right to hunt and fish, a season must exist, even if limited in number or length

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2019 at 2:26 AM, Hunter007 said:
  • Removes the 200 lb maximum draw weight and the minimum 17" width restriction

That part is great news  especially if you  like recurve  crossbows  . 

I think personally the removing the 200ib draw limit really only needs to apply to recurve crossbows that don't have the mechanical advantages of cams  . But what ever  The rest does  not bother me either way . More or  less a Good bill in my opinion.  

Yeah.. this is huge... I would only by recurved limbed X Bows... 

• Like 2

Zero, nada, nothing! Same as in past several years, new Xbow legislation stagnated in the Enviro Conser sub-committee.

Wednesday I got an eMail from NYCC, titled "Summer 2019 Update" or something to that effect. Included was - membership went up 33%, more to make squeaky wheel even louder, determined to make changes, couple of show/event dates, blah, blah... More of cheer-leading or inspirational update than informational. Sorry NYCC, JMO.

Suggestion for 2020 (NYCC's) Xbow proposed legislation:

• Forget all the prior legislative bill's line items, like #, width, set-back, season dates, full inclusion, etc.
  • One line item - Transfer FULL responsibility to the NYS DEC to investigate & implement any changes to current Xbow laws as deemed appropriate.
  • Like 1