River,streams,creeks,ponds and puddles?

rachunter

I've been reading and watching videos for the past few months about trout fishing mostly brook trout.Theres little streams and creeks all over the place up by my house[fulton/Hamilton county's] The problem i'm having is I don't know what the heck i'm looking for? Everything I read and watched says trout like to sit behind rocks well after throwing spinners,spoons,grubs and minnows[plastic] i'm lost.I've walked up and down west and east Canada creek and never got a hit or saw a fish.There's a few ponds I can get to but they look very shallow and snaggy.I'm also not sure where I can fish left bank - right bank what the heck is that all about. Some spots had nothing but rocks for as far as I could see other spots where void of anything.I'm planning another trip up in a few weeks just to fish this time. I was thinking of throwing a worm out this time everything likes worms.Would a fly be a better set up I have a 4wt. and 9wt. never caught anything on a fly but tried a few times in saltwater.Looking for some tips to get me started.

My two favorite Brook trout lures are the smallest panther Martin fly spinner in 1/32 oz  and the trout magnet in same weight.  I always fished little brooks for them and had the best luck.  Lots of walking thru brushy places but go where others don't.    Ponds u usually need a boat of some sort to fish them well. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Thanks 1

You will be amazed how a trout materializes  out of  the stream bottom .  Brook trout tend to live in skinny water and are very  weary.   Be careful  of shadows sudden movements  and bright clothes  and noise. That said they will take a fly like they haven't eaten  in a year. They dont tend to be fussy. Royal coachman  ausable wolf's.  Caddis. Lite leaders  7x 8x . Look for shady spots and overhanging  brush. Brook trout seem to like tannic water  and rocky bottoms when it comes to streams. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

You will be amazed how a trout materializes  out of  the stream bottom .  Brook trout tend to live in skinny water and are very  weary.   Be careful  of shadows sudden movements  and bright clothes  and noise. That said they will take a fly like they haven't eaten  in a year. They dont tend to be fussy. Royal coachman  ausable wolf's.  Caddis. Lite leaders  7x 8x . Look for shady spots and overhanging  brush. Brook trout seem to like tannic water  and rocky bottoms when it comes to streams. 

In my experience, wild brookies will take nearly any fly, even if you don't present it perfectly, as long as they don't SEE you....

As an example, while on a bowhunt for elk in Colorado, I caught  a bunch of brookies from a small mountain stream, mostly by dragging a dry fly across the surface...No self respecting brown would hit such a presentation, but the brookies loved it..

An old friend of mine, long  gone now, always said that when he was fishing brookies he always preferred a fly with a bit of RED on it...

• Thanks 1

I have fished west Canada.  Fished it in the morning below the dam .  Rough fishing as the damn was running alot of water . Managed two nice browns   16 to 18 inches  that morning . Rough go of it in the high water. Fish fought like 25 inchers.

Talked to a local and he convinced me to stay for the evening sulphur hatch .  They shut the dam  off  and made the river wadable .I'm glad I stayed.. Some of the best dry fly fishing  I ever had .  The local guy  met me there and we fished until  dark. I had the hot fly that night . Parachute sulphur. Was worth the 5 hr trip home at night . Wifey wasn't happy with me getting home at 2 am . I ended up sending that guy a dozen  flies a week later. He  offered to let me camp on his property if I ever came back up . Never got back up there.

• Like 4

Here’s my fly selection so far,I should add I never caught anything on a fly. Going to test a 10’jon boat I traded for my scano so I’m bringing the fly rod only tomorrow not really expecting much but I’ll give it a shot. The two bottom flys are from my saltwater attempt never worked out. 126de0888a84f6495179deb605c26867.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wooly bugger Mickey fin and stonefly  in that order then shrimp. Big guys might be a little large for brookies

And don’t forget that black ant which is great along shaded, grassy cutbanks or overhanging tree branches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2019 at 7:43 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

My two favorite Brook trout lures are the smallest panther Martin fly spinner in 1/32 oz  and the trout magnet in same weight.  I always fished little brooks for them and had the best luck.  Lots of walking thru brushy places but go where others don't.    Ponds u usually need a boat of some sort to fish them well. 

How do you fish the trout magnet?  Do you jig it or do you suspended with a bobber and let it float down?

9 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

How do you fish the trout magnet?  Do you jig it or do you suspended with a bobber and let it float down?

I just tie it on the line direct and jig it with the current.  Sometimes right on the top like a fly.  On 4lb can cast it pretty well.  For small streams they are perfect. I like the gold flake the best. 

• Like 1