Remember These?

Lawdwaz

Best thing they ever did is relocate these bastids.  I spent six or seven years back in the late 70's to mid 80's as a mechanic (yes, paid too) and replaced many many of these babies.  Hard to believe I even fit down there to do it......... :)

The young bucks here might not even know WTH it even is.

Wog18SU.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3

I knew what it was the instant I seen it.  

Had a few cars/trucks with foot operated high beam switch.  Always seemed to go bad and lights were stuck on high. Lol

Edited by mowin
  • Haha 1

When they switched to steering wheel mounted high beam switches, for a year or so my foot kept getting  caught in the steering wheel !   

BTW , fire trucks went from the ceiling mounted chains , to floor switches for the air horn many years ago. I miss stomping on that that and yelling, “ get the F@#$ out of the way “ out the window .

• Haha 4

I guess the proper term is "dimmer switch"...Funny...I had lots of vehicles with them and never remember having one fail...

Good thing..With my luck it would be after I had a few toddies and then I'd meet a cop....

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

my truck runs on liberal tears and dinosaur bones. Is that the boost button that scares off the prius owner next to me?

All my years riding in / driving fire trucks , I’ve observed Prius drivers are the most clueless , and Mini Coopers the most obnoxious . 

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Have no idea- when is the big reveal Larry?

As noted above, it is a headlight dimmer switch.  They were replaced by the steering column mounted lever about 75 years ago, or so it seems.  :)

• Thanks 1

Back in the day when I was 18 or so, my buddy's brother let him take his custom Datsun 240Z for a road trip to my uncle's place in the Pocono mountains.  It was just getting dark on a Friday night when we started the 2 hour trip. 

He turned on the headlights and the Hi-beams were on.  We found no floor mounted dimmer switch and couldn't figure out how to turn them off.  Man, we pissed off a lot of oncoming drivers on that trip all the way to the cabin.  And they were blinding us with their high beams in retaliation all the way there as well. 

Never saw a steering wheel mounted dimmer stick before that trip.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

How did you old farts ever survive....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

It is a WONDER that we did....I can remember lots of times when things could have gone bad REAL quick, but for good luck...

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

It is a WONDER that we did....I can remember lots of times when things could have gone bad REAL quick, but for good luck...

Yea I survived more than a couple things that could have gone south just as easily. I think I used up a whole lifes worth of luck from age 15 to early 20's!! Not only did i give my parents grey hair I had grey hair myself in my 20's lol!

• Haha 1

I knew it was a dimmer switch right away, but I thought it could be a starter switch from an old Jeep! I remember having to put it in neutral, put 1 foot on the brake and work the gas and push the starter with the other foot! Am I really that old?