Frog Hunting

Anyone else here like frog gigging?

My son and I do it a lot in summer. Opens June 15th.

We take the canoe out at night. I paddle, he spears most of them. We both carry super bright lights.

Frogging is a ton of fun, and eating them is awesome!

• Like 3

Another good way is a golf ball retriever ( they make them 9’ 12’ 15’ 18’ and 21’.  Tie few feet of fishing line on and hook. Red piece of yarn and dangle it in front of them.  We used to catch some real toads of frogs at east aurora country club.  See what I did there ... 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

I tried frog legs when I was a kid at a restaurant with my parents. I just wanted to say I tried it. I can’t even remember what it tasted like. Maybe chicken ?

It is almost a sweet flavor. Mild.

The flesh is nice, firm, and white like really good fish.

• Like 2

Have not gone in years. When I was a kid we'd roam the farm ponds and streams around my grandparents town. Spear or shoot em. Man that was fun and great eating. Work really interferes with life lol. To much fun to be had and not enough time.

• Like 3

Used to frog as a kid along the RR track drainage ditch.  It was about 6 feet wide and a couple miles long.  We used a cane pole with a little monofilament and some fishing flies.  We walked along the tracks and dangled the fly in front of the frog.  They would always go for it.  Not boat required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Have these hit the dinner thread yet? We go to a bar in Bellingham, Wa that has them and they are delicious

All the frog legs that I have taken myself were superb....Not such good luck with store bought ones..I bought some frozen ones once years ago...Not so good..3 or 4 years ago I saw them on a restaurant menu on the north shore of Oneida lake..I asked the waitress about them and she said "  They are to die for".....Wrong terminology ..A more accurate phrase would be " They are to die FROM"...They were  disgusting......

Edited by Pygmy
  • Haha 1

Obvious idiot's question... What do you do, cut the legs off and discard the rest of the frog? Need a ton of them for just one person, huh? Sounds like fun!!

If big enough you can get a few bites from the front legs/shoulders too but ultimately yes! Back legs is where it’s at...cornmeal dredge and hit the deep fryer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, sodfather said:

Fun Fact : I have never tried frog legs in my life . And don’t say they taste like chicken 

Dusted in flour, salt and pepper and sautéed in butteruntil golden brown...Definitely much better than chicken...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I have access to a frog Mecca I may try them with a side of beaver some summer night 

" Frog mecca with a side of beaver"...Sounds like a French girl I used to date....

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...