Frog Hunting

3 minutes ago, old man river said:

That's a big mess of BullFrogs! I never ate any legs yet. Tastes like Chicken, I hear.

They have a flavor all their own. Kinda sweet. Reminds me of nice firm pike fillet. The meat is a nice white color.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a young boy, I was at a picnic in Deerfield Beach, Fla where they mixed fried frog legs in with fried chicken drumsticks.  None of the kids were told this.  After the food was all gone, we were asked how we liked it.  All the kids said it was fantastic.  Then they were told what they had eaten and asked if they could tell the difference.  Nobody could, but some of the girls did run off to the restroom when they found out what they ate.

I often think of that day when my 5 year old granddaughter refuses to try venison.

6 hours ago, old man river said:

That's a big mess of BullFrogs! I never ate any legs yet. Tastes like Chicken, I hear.

Yea they do taste like chicken  except tuffer meat not as tender at least the store bought ones I had one time were . Have not seen any frogs around here in years . Not that I have been looking in any pounds lately. 

• Like 1

Any  froglegs I have taken  locally have been wonderful....Dusted in flour and sautéed in butter they are moist and tender, and taste so good I would  hesitate to compare them to anything else..They are also very easy to clean..Cut the legs off where they join the body and the skin slips off as easily as a latex glove...

I have NOT had good luck with restaurant or store bought frog legs...I think they may come from southeast Asia. but  the ones I have tried are NOT the same as our local frogs, and some I have tried were downright nasty...

• Like 1

One trick I heard about (and proved it worked) was to tie a long piece of red yarn to the opposite end of the gig pole and dangle that in front of a frog. It attacks the red yarn and its sticky tongue gets wrapped up in the yarn- swing em in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I worked in a French restaurant, they were often on the menu, sauteed Provencal style. I've had them panfried before as well, they are quite good, like a cross between fish & chicken, a little chewy but not tough. You don't see them much these days, I don't know if it's scarcity or just not up to American palate anymore. I've never hunted for them before, but would love to give it a try!