2012 Ford Raptor

by law, have the “ Mansfield “ safety bar . 
Over size tires also increase stopping distance by generally 20 to 25% as well as increased demands / wear on pads rotors , steering components and so on and so forth .

Figured the bar was so cars don't go under the truck. Never realized it was so there's equal bumper to bumper. Also what about increasing brake size along with tire size?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Figured the bar was so cars don't go under the truck. Never realized it was so there's equal bumper to bumper. Also what about increasing brake size along with tire size?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you increase the weight/tire size enough, bigger brakes are required and yes they can do as good or better job than stock set up.  And gearing may be required if you don’t want a dog   

Mine was not that big of a change weight wise for brakes and already had the upgraded 4.10 from the factory. 

• Like 1

Generally speaking, the quality of lift has more to do with road manners than height, up to a certain point of course. When I lifted my truck (8.75" in the front, 5" in the rear), I paid more for a quality lift kit rather than going the inexpensive route, so that I would still have a good ride. I did go with stiffer shocks than factory, because I didnt want it to be quite as cushy. My truck still rides better than most 3/4 or 1 tons do from the factory, but I have the look and clearance that I wanted.

As for brakes, I upgraded mine to the police duty pads, drilled/slotted rotors and steel braided lines to give me good braking regardless of the larger/heavier tires. I went from factory 33s to 35s and did not change wheel diamiter, but did change to a much wider rim, so the setup is a bit heavier than stock. You can go with a larger diameter lighter weight wheel to cut down a bit on rotating mass.

I am actually going to step things up a bit more soon with a 3" body lift and 38" tires. Ill be moving to larger wheels that are as light weight as I can get so that I wont lose too much braking. I will be re-gearing the truck to make up for the larger tires though. Currently I am running the factory 3.55s, and will be going to 4.56s, which should get me right about to stock final ratios with 38s.

• Like 2

Funny when i was younger i would mod every sports car or truck i owned, some of my soumd  systems were worth more then the car..lol..As i got older i began to lease trucks and have not sunk a penny into cars for many years now.  Now  i  just see a car/ truck as a mode of transportation,  get me from point a to point b. To each their own i guess. 

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 1

troublemaker

I’m being serious. I assume it’s for clearance, but if you aren’t off-roadies, is it just for looks? And does it make it more likely to flip on Sharp turns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m being serious. I assume it’s for clearance, but if you aren’t off-roadies, is it just for looks? And does it make it more likely to flip on Sharp turns?

Other than looks, the benefits are definitely for Offroad.  I suppose it raises center of gravity but it would have to be a big lift to really make it flip so to speak.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Clearance and looks really. Most guys are adding wide tires to them now days, so you would need a seriously tall lift to be able to roll them any easier than a regular truck. Mine can take corners just as well now as it did at stock height. I dont drive it like that anymore though because it eats the tires up quick, and at $350-$400 a tire, they arent cheap to replace.

• Like 1