Tick

Cory

I don’t know if I picked this up at the cabin yesterday or from my aunts house in North Tonawanda. But any way the wife tried pulling it off but couldn’t get it . I went to urgent care and they pulled it out. They gave me an antibiotic just in case. I can’t believe how attached these things become. It’s kind of scary.

401FA53C-FE00-4362-8A9F-955A38CDC88B.jpeg

I went for a walk on my hunting land today to change out camera cards and take soil samples. I sprayed on 25% DEET insect repellent beforehand, and wore a long sleeve t shirt and high rubber boots. Afterwards at the car, I had 3 on my shirt that I brushed off. After I got home, I had one on my bicep, and then a few hours later, one on my forearm. Fortunately, they weren't buried in my skin, just crawling around. Weird, and scary. I guess there is no way around doing a full body inspection, even with repellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

I recommend getting a tick spoon for removing ticks from yourself or your pets.  They work well, and help insure you get the entire tick.  They are cheap and handy.  You can get them on Amazon for $5 or 6.  I use the "tick twister".  Worth every penny.

Yeah this.  The trick is not to pull, but twist them and they lose their grip.  Tick twisters work great.

Edit :. I use this one, spin it around a dozen times and they come right off.  

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/tick-twister

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

9 hours ago, jmp5008 said:

You can also use vaseline or thick soap and put copious amounts on top of the tick. It wont be able to breathe so it will back it self out. At least that's what I hear. I haven't tried it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Worse thing to do. Causes them to puke in the bite greatly increasing chances of infection.

Tick spoon or twissors - pull carefully keeping pressure on until they let go. Like pulling an earthworm from the ground.

• Like 4

The one I have is the "Tick Key". I was discussing the tick bite I got in Georgia back in April with my doctor a week or so ago. He said that if a tick is removed inside a 24 hour period you are safe. He said there is no documented case of Lyme disease transmission  if the tick is found and removed  in that period. I'll be a lot more diligent about checking from now on.  He said he gets more cases of people removing improperly and getting an infection from the embedded head that was broken off.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cory said:

I don’t know if I picked this up at the cabin yesterday or from my aunts house in North Tonawanda. But any way the wife tried pulling it off but couldn’t get it . I went to urgent care and they pulled it out. They gave me an antibiotic just in case. I can’t believe how attached these things become. It’s kind of scary.

401FA53C-FE00-4362-8A9F-955A38CDC88B.jpeg

Wow!  Looks like that little bastard wanted to burrow inside you for the summer! 

I'm no doctor, but I think what Culver's doctor said makes a lot of sense.  If you get them off within a day you should be fine.  It seems like a lot of people freak out and want antibiotics right away whenever they might find a tick on themselves, but I don't know if that's a smart idea.  If you see the bullseye type rash, then go for them, but otherwise you are probably doing more harm than good taking unnecessary antibiotics.

I've had two of the bastids stuck in me over the last 2 weeks. This last one I was not even outside the prior 24 hours. I am thinking the dog carried it in. We took the sorrento off her as she has vestibular and there has been some concern the collar is causing neurological disorders.

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Wow!  Looks like that little bastard wanted to burrow inside you for the summer! 

I'm no doctor, but I think what Culver's doctor said makes a lot of sense.  If you get them off within a day you should be fine.  It seems like a lot of people freak out and want antibiotics right away whenever they might find a tick on themselves, but I don't know if that's a smart idea.  If you see the bullseye type rash, then go for them, but otherwise you are probably doing more harm than good taking unnecessary antibiotics.

I’m in agree with you. Doctors do just throw prescriptions at people. I’m the type of guy that won’t even take aspirin for a head ache. But I’m going to take the pill they prescribed just this once . 

• Like 1