Gun Raffle has me PISSED

Team Hoyt

So I bought tickets from Randolph rod and gun club. Raffle takes place I get a call the next day saying I've won a ruger American predator 6.5 creedmoor. Sweet. Dealer tells me give me 2 weeks the gun will be in. I wait just over 2 weeks call the dealer back to see what's the status. To my suprise I'm told theres a mistake you didn't win now. WTF. (I understand it's not the dealers problem) I then call the president of the club, and explain we have a problem. I've won a gun now and now I'm  told I didn't that it's a mistake. The so called president states yes I heard last week that your name got drawn but it was a sellers gun and you weren't the seller. He then states the sellers name. I'm sorry i didn't purchase tickets from this seller. He then goes on and says this is very confusing now, I'll see board members tomorrow night and I'll make this right for you. Perfect. Tonight I get a call from this joke of a president and says yep it was a mistake were not doing anything about it. WTF after a few heated words. In summary I won a gun now I'm denied it saying it's a mistake? I've purchased a $400 scope already with no return for this gun, and all I get is it's a mistake. Not even a apology. This president then hangs the phone up. The board couldn't even call to say hey we screwed up, I hear it from the dealer. If I would of got a call I'd be ok no problem were humans. I am really pissed now, any suggestions for next step?

Sure sounds shady. Sounds like they realized you had no "close" ties to the club so they figured to screw you and keep it in the "family". Did you know anyone at the drawing that could back up your name being drawn?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Sure sounds shady. Sounds like they realized you had no "close" ties to the club so they figured to screw you and keep it in the "family". Did you know anyone at the drawing that could back up your name being drawn?

The president admitted my name was drawn.

Pretty clear Randolph Gun Club, is not an honorable organization. Mistakes happen, we all get that , but calling a guy telling him he won ,then no you didn’t ,then we’ll make this right,then nope you’re sol ,is all one  needs to know about them .

• Like 7

What the heck is a "seller's gun"?  You paid money for a raffle ticket and won a prize listed in the prize pool, no?  What am I missing?  Sounds shady AF.  If nothing else, I'd insist on a refund of all money you paid for this bogus raffle.  If they won't do that, I'd press charges. 

• Like 1

A small claims court may at least get you some answers. With only a little money put out for a filing fee. Something just doesn't seem right about this. I know I'd be upset too, if the same circumstances fell my way.

Never heard of a sportsman's club gun raffle that turned out like this.

• Like 1

Sounds like they just didnt want you to have the gun like it was a fixed raffle  basically a money scam....think about it set up a gun raffle have people buy tickets and decide who gets it before the event even starts. Happens alot honestly that's the problem with those clubs if you ain't one of the good old boys you are screwed ... reminds me of when I was a kid and a game club would hold a fishing derby and a club member was a grandfather to some kids that wer entered and guess what they always got trophies for biggest fish yet nobody saw them catch anything lol ironically the fishing derby still goes on today 

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

I understand mistakes happen, but the lack of communication here would have me pissed as well. You atleast deserve an honest phone call or something stating what had happened.. you pay your dues as well as he does. It could have made this situation much easier. I also know, that their tends to be some "cliques" within certain clubs, that always seem to get what they want.. 

Just the fact that they are getting bad press here is a good start. I don't know anything about the Randolph Rod & Gun Club, but certainly wouldn't want anything to do with them after this.

If I was 100% sure that I was never going to get the gun, I 'd seriously consider a letter to the local newspaper or a Facebook smear, if nothing else to get the word about the bogus raffle so that others don't get burned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I don’t understand what that means.   What is a “drawing for the seller”?

I've seen clubs do it before. It generates sales. Each ticket you sell you put your name on the back. They draw the prizes and then they draw the seller's gun out of the same tickets and read the name off the back. It sounded to me that they read the wrong side for that gun but the OP is saying he didn't buy the ticket form the guy who ended up with the gun. 

Personally I'd check in with the guy you bought the ticket from and see if he was selling them for a buddy. I can see the mistake happening but how they handled it was not right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I don’t understand what that means.   What is a “drawing for the seller”?

I'm not real clear on it either ,my thought was maybe they do a drawing for a seller of tickets to win ? Maybe to give the sellers incentive to sell more tickets?

• Like 1

A "sellers" gun means, there's a prize for the seller who's name is on the back of the ticket. 

After all the prizes for the public are drawn, one last ticket is drawn for the winner of the sellers prize. The name on the back of the ticket is the seller, and winner.  Sounds like someone messed up and read the front of the ticket instead.  

Club should have eaten it, and learned from there mistake. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FatBoyD said:

Maybe contact the NYS Gaming Commission, I believe they regulate private raffles. 

https://www.gaming.ny.gov/pdf/REVISED Raffle Guidelines 7 7 2017.pdf

Yeah, On the bright side once Cuomo signs the bill that makes it illegal to use firearms in games of chance, no one will have to worry about a crooked raffle. 

• Sad 2