Gun Raffle has me PISSED

Team Hoyt

Just now, crappyice said:

Biz Esquire...retainer???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sued a deck contractor in Danbury, CT small claims court. Ton of paperwork and $95 to submit claim. But when it was all said and done, the guy gave me $2K rather than show up to court.

In other words, I am undefeated. Can @moog5050 say the same?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I sued a deck contractor in Danbury, CT small claims court. Ton of paperwork and $95 to submit claim. But when it was all said and done, the guy gave me $2K rather than show up to court.

In other words, I am undefeated. Can @moog5050 say the same?

I cannot Biz.  In fact, I have never sued anyone in small claims court.  I have no record of wins or losses in CT smalls claims court.  You are the man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

He can represent himself in small claims court. I've done this and won

I've seen that gun advertised for $400-$450.  Do you really think it would be worth taking to small claims court?  I can understand trying to make a point with this gun club, but sometimes things are just not worth the hassle.  You will end up aggravating yourself more than anyone else.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 3:41 PM, Team Hoyt said:

So now theres a new information I found out today after talking to the person I bought the ticket from. The actual "seller". The guy that received the gun decided to put his name on the ticket as the "seller" which clearly he wasn't. Definitely sounds like this POS club wanted certain people to win guns. Unreal. Help me out and get the word out that Randolph rod and gun club is a POS and dont bother supporting this organization. As I talked to the president he said that bad publicity will not affect his organization. GAME ON

I am in no way making excuses for how this was handled. They screwed this up from the fist contact with you.  I just want to convey a situation and I still am not clear on the role the guy you actually handed your ticket money to had in the chain.

I have had buddies that were selling tickets to raffles, a couple were even gun raffles. The clubs assigned the tickets to be sold by members and track who is responsible for what number tickets.  In one case there was a winning ticket seller gun. I am always taking their tickets that they were assigned into my work place because the guys at work love to buy them and get in on raffles.  I remember seeing my one buddy's name on the back of the stubs (the part that goes into the drawing , not the one they give to the purchaser).  He didn't win the gun but if he had I wouldn't have expected to be considered the "seller". 

Personally I think they are guilty of piss poor public relations and not handling this correctly but I haven't seen anything posted that makes me think there was fraud. Honestly if the face of the ticket didn't say anything about the award of a sellers gun I would think that it would be an uphill climb in small claims. My opinion. (and of course that and $6 will get a Starbucks's coffee)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I've seen that gun advertised for $400-$450.  Do you really think it would be worth taking to small claims court?  I can understand trying to make a point with this gun club, but sometimes things are just not worth the hassle.  You will end up aggravating yourself more than anyone else.

a small fee just to get the ball rolling in court could be both fun and scary for the club. Maybe they throw him a few hundred bucks to drop the case. nothing to lose?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I cannot Biz.  In fact, I have never sued anyone in small claims court.  I have no record of wins or losses in CT smalls claims court.  You are the man!

You are too focused on 1 jurisdiction! Take your talents to CT!

I successfully sued a muffler repair shop in small claims court and won. You don't need a lawyer and if you have half a brain, you can do this.  The cost was like 50 and it was an evening of my time as I used the night court option. The filing was not bad at all either. One paper I had to send in and fill out. 

Now.. the difficult part was collecting on this judgment.  It took me nearly two years to collect and was very aggravating.  A bunch of paperwork that yes was a bitch. But its doable if you stick with it. The law states 9% interest on outstanding judgments, so though I wanted the cash back, I liked the 9% interest while I worked on getting it.  I ended up with 5K in the bank from this. I don't think collecting would be worth it in this situation but spending 50.00-100.00 and an evening of night court would well be worth it, especially if the guy who got the gun was not a seller.  This tells me, if correct, it does not matter if it was a sellers gun and therefore, the persons name that was drawn should end up with the gun.  Good luck OP. At the least I would threaten small claims court. If you present a well laid out, thoughtful case to the club board, they may think twice about going to court. If you show up like an idiot screaming I'LL SUE.. good luck. 

• Like 1

Took daughters landlord to small,claims , he settled out of court ,wasn’t worth his time I guess . Now just wait till my co workers inspect his two apartment buildings..... what a dope . For years I was very forgiving on inspections of his buildings, yet he chose to F with my kid  on giving proper notice (;which she did ) .

I was really hoping for a call, to his buildings so I could destroy everything in my path .

• Like 2

Took daughters landlord to small,claims , he settled out of court ,wasn’t worth his time I guess . Now just wait till my co workers inspect his two apartment buildings..... what a dope . For years I was very forgiving on inspections of his buildings, yet he chose to F with my kid  on giving proper notice (;which she did ) .
I was really hoping for a call, to his buildings so I could destroy everything in my path .
Hey new Belo enjoy that name for the next 30 days hahaha

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They told you that you won, when you didn't. That's not the same thing as winning and not getting the prize. Small claims court would be a waste of time. 

The club sure has an issue though, a dishonest member saying he sold tickets that he didn't. Though they gave him the gun anyway, so it doesn't seem to bother them that they have a liar and a crook in their midst, and that two guys actually got screwed, not just the OP. the other guy got it worse than the OP. The real seller actually WON and got nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...

If it was me I would wait till the clubs next big raffle and slander them all over town. Hey if you want maybe opening day we get a bunch of us in blaze orange head to toe and walk their woods in a straight line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 7/4/2019 at 9:31 PM, cas said:

They told you that you won, when you didn't. That's not the same thing as winning and not getting the prize. Small claims court would be a waste of time. 

The club sure has an issue though, a dishonest member saying he sold tickets that he didn't. Though they gave him the gun anyway, so it doesn't seem to bother them that they have a liar and a crook in their midst, and that two guys actually got screwed, not just the OP. the other guy got it worse than the OP. The real seller actually WON and got nothing. 

you have any kids?

On 6/26/2019 at 3:29 PM, Al Bundy said:

I successfully sued a muffler repair shop in small claims court and won. You don't need a lawyer and if you have half a brain, you can do this.  The cost was like 50 and it was an evening of my time as I used the night court option. The filing was not bad at all either. One paper I had to send in and fill out. 

Now.. the difficult part was collecting on this judgment.  It took me nearly two years to collect and was very aggravating.  A bunch of paperwork that yes was a bitch. But its doable if you stick with it. The law states 9% interest on outstanding judgments, so though I wanted the cash back, I liked the 9% interest while I worked on getting it.  I ended up with 5K in the bank from this. I don't think collecting would be worth it in this situation but spending 50.00-100.00 and an evening of night court would well be worth it, especially if the guy who got the gun was not a seller.  This tells me, if correct, it does not matter if it was a sellers gun and therefore, the persons name that was drawn should end up with the gun.  Good luck OP. At the least I would threaten small claims court. If you present a well laid out, thoughtful case to the club board, they may think twice about going to court. If you show up like an idiot screaming I'LL SUE.. good luck. 

no lawyer here either, but i imagine whether the money is recouped the judgment becomes an official record and possibly public knowledge and could affect future misdeeds by the club and affect a business BBB rating etc. 

as others said, it sure would go a long ways in protecting a future victim. 

4 hours ago, Pigmy said:

no lawyer here either, but i imagine whether the money is recouped the judgment becomes an official record and possibly public knowledge and could affect future misdeeds by the club and affect a business BBB rating etc. 

as others said, it sure would go a long ways in protecting a future victim. 

"Victim"?

Oh for Christ sake. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

33 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

A person that gets mugged is a victim. The people that went down with the towers were victims. THIS is not a "victim"

jesus culver. it's a word choice without any intent and you didn't answer my question. what single word adjective could i quickly use to better describe his situation.

32 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

jesus culver. it's a word choice without any intent and you didn't answer my question. what single word adjective could i quickly use to better describe his situation.

Belo, After seeing this all play out here and the comments from those that feel this guy was so wronged, part of me wants to say "whiner" (but it is really some of the others that are whining) but they did screw up the handling of the whole situation. Being in  a not for profit group I can certainly say we would never have handled it this way but mistakes do happen. We had one guy at the banquet buy one of 50 tickets on our gun board. We draw a number. kept calling the number for 15 minutes and finally I drew another number. Got that winner and awarded the gun. After the whole next round a guy comes up and says he has the winning ticket for the one we redrew. I found a way to make him feel like we weren't screwing him but he did not get a gun. 

They totally screwed it up. Personally I would LOVE to see the face of the raffle ticket that was sold. I'd be willing to bet the gun that was drawn was either not even listed as a prize or was clearly listed as a ticket seller's drawing. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

1 hour ago, Pigmy said:

so your response to an alternative word for victim is whiner?

got it.

Just a few of the thoughts on the thread. 

Shady

so they figured to screw you and keep it in the "family"

Sounds like an inside job

Seems very shifty

Sounds shady AF

A small claims court may at least get you some answers

Sounds like they just didnt want you to have the gun like it was a fixed raffle 

I 'd seriously consider a letter to the local newspaper or a Facebook smear

See how a fraud charge affects them

they have a liar and a crook in their midst,

I'd bet that the "seller's" prize and that gun were not even listed as an available prize on the ticket from what I have seen on other gun raffle tickets. And I have bought a ton of them. Never win anything but buy a ton.