Anyone see any poults yet?

mowin

Breeding started around mid April, so it's getting close to that time. 

I've seen a couple hens in different fields today just standing and scanning the area. Very possible they had little ones around. 

Hopefully the wet weather will let up.  

In a study done by DEC  on Connneticut  Hill quite a few years ago, the average hatching date in NY was June 13....

There certainly could be some peeps running around out there by now...

I saw my first fawn of the season today....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

What a terrible spring with the rain and cold for poults.  

I'm sure a few clutches of eggs have been ruined by the horrible weather we've had. Early hatchings are definitely in for a challenging time. 

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

What a terrible spring with the rain and cold for poults.  

Early yet, Jay....the critical  weeks for poult survival are the second, third and forth weeks of June...If they are relatively  dry and warm,  the hatch should be good....

2 hours ago, mowin said:

I'm sure a few clutches of eggs have been ruined by the horrible weather we've had. Early hatchings are definitely in for a challenging time. 

I am sure some nests get drowned out, but most hens instinctively know to pick nest areas with good drainage..

The killer  of  turkeys poults is wet, cool weather in their first two or three weeks after hatching, when they are still in the down stage...if they get wet and chilled at this stage, they are very susceptible to  pneumonia...

Once they get feathers and are able to roost off the ground,  they are much less in danger of death via wet weather...

Generally...a warm, dry June equals a decent turkey hatch/ poult survival...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This past spring's rainy-wet-cold weather could not have been much worse for young Turkey poults, will probably prove to be a poor hatch-survival rate. Have a Hen wandering around my place most of the Spring, stopped seeing her about a month ago and suspected she was sitting on a nest of eggs. She turned up the other day wandering around scratching for food with no poults in tow so she most likely nested unsuccessfully.

Al

Edited by airedale

I've seen a few hens with poults.  One flock had 3 hens and the little ones were scattering all over the place.  Had to be 20+.   Seen one hen with 4, then two... Haven't seen em since.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...