mowin

Anyone see any poults yet?

Was doing a little brush hogging tonight and had two hens come out of the goldenrod and ran down the mowed trail for a hundred yards or so straight away from me. No poults.

• Sad 1

Saw my first group of poults this week. Usually I've seen more than a handful of hens with poults by now....

• Like 1

I haven’t seen many here, but I did see these 5 and their Momma walk past my cam tonight. 

Saw 1st poults on camera yesterday..maybe 7 to 10 days old.. product of 3rd nesting attempt I'm sure. They will be lucky to be 5lbs come fall...

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

just had a couple hens and about a dozen poults in the front lawn this morning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

Pic above taken at 8.05am on 8/2/2019. All 4 Poults are getting big fast. Now almost the size of a small Hen Pheasant. They love the ShopRite Birdseed.:nyam:

I haven't seen mine for a week now, but I stopped throwing out birdseed.  The Old Boss Hen had rounded up at least 4 more hens and added them and their babies to her retinue.  Poults were getting real big, but you could see a serious size discrepancy in some.  It was fun to watch the hens kind of herd the little buggers too.

Stopped throwing out seed because they seemed way less focused on it, squirrels were getting most of it.

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

8/4/2019 at 5.50pm. OK!  I just sat down a little while ago outside with a book and spring water and, I catch a quick sight of 6 Turkeys running to my small lawn behind me. I live on a Dead end Street and mine is one of 2 last houses bordering woods. It was the Bearded  Hen, the brood hen and her 4 rapidly growing Poults. All were feeding within 12 feet of me-- no problem. I just finished putting out birdseed 10 minutes before that. It started to rain on me. I had to slow walk in. They stayed right there. The key is not to make eye contact. They just left a few minutes ago as the rain is getting heavier.

Report Your Turkey Sightings This August

Hen turkey and her poults walking through green vegetation.While you are exploring the forests and fields around your home or driving through the state’s beautiful landscapes this summer, be sure to keep an eye out for wild turkeys.

DEC uses reported observations of wild turkeys to track changes in abundance and productivity (number of poults produced per adult hen) over time and in different parts of the state. It also helps forecast hunting prospects for the coming fall season and for subsequent spring seasons. Download survey forms from DEC's website or submit your observations online. Thanks for your help!

Saw 6 hens together no points today in middle of my road

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

It’s interesting how long it takes for turkey poults to mature. Waterfowl look like adults in two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

For the poults off the bat- everything they eat goes toward their flight muscles. They are flying soon after birth. Alot sooner then most other birds.  The 4 Poults are the size of small hen pheasants now. Both the Brood Hen and the Bearded Hen are at least 13-14lbs.  They are all safe in the woods behind me. No Hunting-- zoned Residential. 

8/12/2019-- The 4 Poults are getting ever larger! On 8/10, I saw a Brood Hen with just 2 large Poults in Sterling Forest close to Mombasha Lake.

I saw several groups with poults this weekend on the Santa Clara Tract up near St Regis Falls. It seems every group is two mature hens and a handful of poults, is that the normal routine

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Went up Rt 8, north of Utica  last week on our way to catch the ferry in Essex New York over to Vermont. Lot of hens standing in the road but, not a poult with any.   Lot of hunting camps on that highway. Great country!

Here in Orange County-- plenty of Flocks of Turkeys are being seen. While the Flocks in most cases are smaller- there are so many of them due to the tremendous number of Hens in Orange County. The Brood Hen with the 4 Poults is once again outside right now- 7.30am on 8/17/2019. The Poults are Pheasant sized now and growing rapidly.

Had about 30 in my yard this morning.  Few hens with their poults are flocked together.  Poults looked like a good size. Didn't see em for long as my dogs seen em too.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mowin said:

Had about 30 in my yard this morning.  Few hens with their poults are flocked together.  Poults looked like a good size. Didn't see em for long as my dogs seen em too.  

30 is alot!! Perhaps 3 Brood Hens have banded together.

1 hour ago, The Jerkmann said:

30 is alot!! Perhaps 3 Brood Hens have banded together.

Ya, there's 3-4 hens.  First time I seen them in my yard in a while, but I see em across the street in the field all the time.  Also have a band of 7 Jake's in the area. 

• Thanks 1