Anyone see any poults yet?

mowin

I haven't seen mine for a week now, but I stopped throwing out birdseed.  The Old Boss Hen had rounded up at least 4 more hens and added them and their babies to her retinue.  Poults were getting real big, but you could see a serious size discrepancy in some.  It was fun to watch the hens kind of herd the little buggers too.

Stopped throwing out seed because they seemed way less focused on it, squirrels were getting most of it.

Report Your Turkey Sightings This August

Hen turkey and her poults walking through green vegetation.While you are exploring the forests and fields around your home or driving through the state’s beautiful landscapes this summer, be sure to keep an eye out for wild turkeys.

DEC uses reported observations of wild turkeys to track changes in abundance and productivity (number of poults produced per adult hen) over time and in different parts of the state. It also helps forecast hunting prospects for the coming fall season and for subsequent spring seasons. Download survey forms from DEC's website or submit your observations online. Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, The Jerkmann said:

30 is alot!! Perhaps 3 Brood Hens have banded together.

Ya, there's 3-4 hens.  First time I seen them in my yard in a while, but I see em across the street in the field all the time.  Also have a band of 7 Jake's in the area. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, The Jerkmann said:

-- As far as any possible future changes to the Spring or Fall Turkey Season by filling out these forms-- a major change has already happened as you must be aware to the Fall Turkey Season. 6 weeks - reduced to 2 weeks- 2 Bird bag limit reduced to 1 Bird. Season starting on Oct 19th in my area instead of Oct1st.  

Fall turkey are not on my endeavor list so I don't keep track of the changes. Those changes probably came about because no one submitted their forms:mosking:

I saw a small group on the property today...They were just going into the woods so I am not sure of a count, but there appeared to be about 8-10 birds, about half of which were poults about half the size of the adult hens..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...