Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I mostly assume the deer will cooperate and step in front of the arrow, whatever I am shooting.

Hey,,,,,whatever it is, it works well for you!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, grampy said:

Hey,,,,,whatever it is, it works well for you!!!!

WNY deer are an accommodating bunch Grampy!  Hope to see you back out here again this year!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So will the sight tapes work the same? That sorcery escapes me

 

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It will work exactly the same . The top pin will act as your single pin does now. Think of it as this , set the dial at 20 yards and you now have a 3 pin fixed sight for hunting .  When it's time to dial in an exact yardage ,you would use the dial and aim with the top pin ,completely ignoring the 2nd and 3rd pin.

in theory the pin would have to be the same distance away from you otherwise depending on the peep sight it might be off slightly. otherwise set that pin to the same height you had the single pin at and you're off to a 3D range.  pin housing/sight diameter the same size? i'd hope so to keep the same top end range with the top pin you had before, plus it'll fall within the peep aperture sight picture the same unless tacks just centers the pin and doesn't pay attention to the housing.  i didn't do a lot of it in the past but i miss being able to make parts in a machine shop.

  • Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

 

in theory the pin would have to be the same distance away from you otherwise depending on the peep sight it might be off slightly. otherwise set that pin to the same height you had the single pin at and you're off to a 3D range.  pin housing/sight diameter the same size? i'd hope so to keep the same top end range with the top pin you had before, plus it'll fall within the peep aperture sight picture the same unless tacks just centers the pin and doesn't pay attention to the housing.  i didn't do a lot of it in the past but i miss being able to make parts in a machine shop.

I definitely like when the peep fits the housing nicely, its another anchor point essentially

  • Like 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

 

in theory the pin would have to be the same distance away from you otherwise depending on the peep sight it might be off slightly. otherwise set that pin to the same height you had the single pin at and you're off to a 3D range.  pin housing/sight diameter the same size? i'd hope so to keep the same top end range with the top pin you had before, plus it'll fall within the peep aperture sight picture the same unless tacks just centers the pin and doesn't pay attention to the housing.  i didn't do a lot of it in the past but i miss being able to make parts in a machine shop.

It's way simpler then you're thinking , the dial on the sight he is shooting is calibrated to the bow/arrow combo. All he has to do is set the dial at 20 yards and adjust the pin to sight in at 20 yards . Then the same at 30 and 40 for the other pins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

WNY deer are an accommodating bunch Grampy!  Hope to see you back out here again this year!

I look forward to hunting with you again Brian!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seems like the best of both worlds if you like shooting long range for fun.  And honestly, if you were Biz and planned to shoot a deer at 80-100yds with ease, you will have plenty of time to make sure that 20yd pin is adjusted via the slider.


Only need 1 pin. Lob it in like a rifle shot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It will work exactly the same . The top pin will act as your single pin does now. Think of it as this , set the dial at 20 yards and you now have a 3 pin fixed sight for hunting .  When it's time to dial in an exact yardage ,you would use the dial and aim with the top pin ,completely ignoring the 2nd and 3rd pin.

My 3rd pin is my floater 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It's way simpler then you're thinking , the dial on the sight he is shooting is calibrated to the bow/arrow combo. All he has to do is set the dial at 20 yards and adjust the pin to sight in at 20 yards . Then the same at 30 and 40 for the other pins.

what i'm talking about might not be enough to make a difference.  the arrow shaft and the sight plane between the peep and sight pin aren't parallel. you basically swapped sight housings. if the new setup pushes the pin further away from you it changes the relationship between the arrow shaft and your sighting plane.  it's the same as if you had a sight with an adjustable mounting bar to move your sight in or out. your up and down will be off if you don't screw it back down in the same spot/position when you take it out of the case or whatever. it's much more of a problem with a sight the slides the housing up and down on a bar than the HHA setup that pivots. i still like what you've done.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

what i'm talking about might not be enough to make a difference.  the arrow shaft and the sight plane between the peep and sight pin aren't parallel. you basically swapped sight housings. if the new setup pushes the pin further away from you it changes the relationship between the arrow shaft and your sighting plane.  it's the same as if you had a sight with an adjustable mounting bar to move your sight in or out. your up and down will be off if you don't screw it back down in the same spot/position when you take it out of the case or whatever. it's much more of a problem with a sight the slides the housing up and down on a bar than the HHA setup that pivots. i still like what you've done.

Gotcha , i honestly did not check where the pins are in relationship to each other but the only way i could mount it makes them very close in proximity. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gotcha , i honestly did not check where the pins are in relationship to each other but the only way i could mount it makes them very close in proximity. 
All he has to do is check 20 yard setting and then max out the clearance of the housing and wheel to check that. Same as you select the tape to begin with. Then you'll know if it's good, acceptable, or not close enough. Seems like you fitted everything up the best you can though. I'm definitely a fan of the idea and function. In my mind you need multiple pins for hunting. Guessing hold over can be practical but not very precise. Even compared to gapping between pins.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.