Ny gravity knife law repealed ,finally

Nomad

After years  of court cases , Cuomo signed a bill ending ban . NYC has arrested thousands of laborers,construction workers and stage hands for carrying common lock backs over the years this will end that bs . Actual gravity knives, of which next to none are even made anymore , open by well gravity , turn the knife upside down,press a button and blade drops out and locks , they were mostly used in WWII by paratroopers.

Present time ,NYPD would arrest you if they could “ flick “ your knife open , even if it took ten tries by a few different cops , most all modern locking folders can be flicked open , including folding utility knives .

heres a funny video The Onion did awhile back making fun of it .

• Like 1

I was  breaking the law and didn't even know it.Been carring a knife in my pocket since 10 yrs old.When I got my first to carry the blade was to be no wider then the palm of the hand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dom said:

I was  breaking the law and didn't even know it.Been carring a knife in my pocket since 10 yrs old.When I got my first to carry the blade was to be no wider then the palm of the hand.

You were not alone Dom, watch this video it’s very good . Like the chef that was arrested for a 3 1/2 inch folder, while he had all his chef knifes on him at the same time .

You can skip the first minute ,it’s largely intro .

The NYPD surely isn't a police department that would look the other way with stupid laws like this knife law.  I've heard it said that cops and police department's are generally pro-gun, but the NYPD is most definitely NOT one of them.  They are as anti-gun as you can get and would be more than happy if no one was allowed to possess any sort of weapon.

• Like 1

I understand the term, "gravity knife " as defined by New York State knife laws, to be any knife that can be opened by a  simple flick of the wrist.  Many knives made today can fall under this category. 

Also, local laws can over ride New York State knife laws. To be safe, check your local laws on requirements.

1 minute ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I understand the term, "gravity knife " as defined by New York State knife laws, to be any knife that can be opened by a  simple flick of the wrist.  Many knives made today can fall under this category. 

Also, local laws can over ride New York State knife laws. To be safe, check your local laws on requirements.

That was certainly true in the past . Federal court ruled the Law vague and unconstitutional, which is what forced Cuomo’s hand .

Oh my God.... my buck knife is a dangerous weapon .. I have been carrying  it for 30 plus years. And didn't  know .  It's only 3.5 inches  of blade. I might  just as well have been carrying  a  bazooka....  

Dont know  or give a damn about NYC .  It's a tool I use every day in my job . I use it when I hunt .. fish . Have been asked about it by a local cop and a state trooper .  Simple statement  it's a tool I use for work . End of discussion.  Never have  had it go any further.

Oh and it's always razor  sharp.

Tabloid polatition.. DA.... 

Villainizing an inanimate  object  cant believe people believe that chit.

Edited by Nytracker

I wonder how much money coumo wastes  on trying to strip away people constitutional rights . He's going crazy right now trying to defund the NRA. Its crazy to think that that in his mind ,he really thinks he's improving NY , thats how messed up this guy is.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I wonder how much money coumo wastes  on trying to strip away people constitutional rights . He's going crazy right now trying to defund the NRA. Its crazy to think that that in his mind ,he really thinks he's improving NY , thats how messed up this guy is.

He's running for a higher political office.  Taxpayer money has no limits.

I thought Schrade made them in Ellenville NY

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When I was hauling fuel 8-9 years ago I actually delivered to the old Schrade factory. I’m pretty sure they shut it down in 2004. When I was there it was already turning into your typical run down abandon factory. Whoever owns the building was still heating a portion of it though as I delivered 2500 gallons of heating oil.
  • Like 1

when i was in Mississippi i bought this assist open knife. It's not this scary badguy movie automatic knife, but does only require 1 finger to "assist it to open", unlike a typical folding knife. It's great for the pocket and pulling out for a quick job. Unsure of it's legality in NY and assuming, that because it's helpful it is indeed illegal, i of course left it there. As well as the tasers my wife had to protect herself. God forbid. 

on a somewhat related note, there was a headline on the usa today app this morning. Did silencer lead to more death in VA Beach shooting? 

remember that's the headline

then right in the opening paragraph, several experts and current or former fbi agents explain why the suppressor did not cause more death. But you know... the headline.