What's the farthest/shortest shot you've made.

mowin

I realize the caliber/weapon, and game targeted has a lot to with it, but what's the farthest/shortest shot you've made? 

Mine, deer, 3 yards with the bow. Farthest, deer, 375 verified by a range finder using a 7mm.08.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 3

Bow 8 and 25 yards.

Gun, I don’t really know shortest ,I’ve killed a ton since the ‘80s never really kept track but it would be a few yards , longest I’d say 90 yards , shotgun , since we went rifle I don’t think I killed one much more then 60 yards .

• Like 2

Turkey was 7.5 paces   This year   I’d post pics but no need to feed PETA anything. Another 10 feet away and pattern opens quarter of an inch and decapitated for sure. Closest on deer. About 10 yards with 3” lightfield. Deer stood there and fell over. Slug lodged in skin in opposite shoulder skin.  Perfect energy dump. Longest on deer 123 yards with ML - ran 10 yards and lights out. Turkey I think 35 yards but my gun good for 65 but I’ll never take that shot 

• Like 3

Bow closest  3 yards furthest around 40.

Gun furthest 126 yrds 12 gauge 28" bird barrel.

Closest 2-3'  A bunch of us were getting ready to set up a deer drive we I looked back and seen a doe run  behind us where we wouldn't be driving. Since the sitters were still setting up I ran to where I had seen the doe run when I literally stepped on her she didn't even get to jump up I put 2 quick shots in her. I shot down in front of my feet the other pushers weren't watching and thought I was kidding until I dragged the doe over to them.

• Like 3

I had no way of measuring exactly, but from  experience target shooting, pacing off distances, etc.  I can say with a fair degree of certainty that I have killed a mule deer, a pronghorn, a couple of bull caribou and a bull moose at around 300 yards, give or take a few yards....I killed a whitetail doe in PA across a wide ravine that was close to 400 yards... My .280 drops about a foot at that range and I was holding probably six inches over her back..  Other than that, the farthest I have shot a whitetail in NY or PA is about 250 yards..

Closest....Not sure, but I  have killed a few deer with the shotgun and rifle at under 20 yards..

I never killed many animals with the bow...Of six deer,  one was at 40 and the other five were 15-25 yards..The one elk I killed with my bow was about 35 yards..

Turkeys ( all shotgun)  closest was under ten yards and farthest was about 50....Most have been between 20 and 40...

• Like 4

Closest deer kill?  How far is straight down?  It was right under my tree stand when it came to a stop.  I have had deer come so close when posted up against a tree, that I smacked them with my hand, but didn't shoot them.

I have never taken a really long shot at a deer in my nearly 50 years of deer hunting.  The woods I hunt make seeing a deer over 100 yards very rare.  My longest shot was only 100 yards or so.

Many bow killed deer have been within 10 feet.  Longest bow shot was 40 yards.

My first turkey came in to my calling behind two big trees in front of me about 10 feet away.  Never got a glimpse of him till he stuck his head out around the trees.  Blew his waddles off with my brand new Mossberg 835 3.5" magnum and #4 shot.  Talk about over kill.  LOL!  Never had a turkey come within 50 yards before that.  Really had me laughing about buying the gun when that happened.

Longest shots I've ever made were at woodchuck and coyote.  300 yards probably the farthest.

• Like 1

Bow - closest , base of ladder stand straight down,  / farthest, 42 yards ranged 

870 12 gauge - closest, Base of tree in my climber straight down again  / H&R 12 gauge single shot - farthest , 160ish  paced off yards. 

44 super red hawk - closest,  20 yards / farthest,  80ish yards paced off . 

Edited by rob-c

All of my extreme shots whether very long or very short were made on varmints namely Crows and Woodchucks. Most of my best long shots were made with a Ruger 77 200 Swift, quite a few in the 400 to the 500 yard range. These were educated guesses going by the cartridge's ballistics and where my aiming point was when the shot was taken. Always had a cheat sheet taped to my stock similar to the one shown and when put into practice at a range they are pretty much on the money so I could get a good idea on how far a successful shot was.

Most of the shorter shots from a few feet to a few yards were made by various  handguns that I hunted with quite a lot a one time.

The longest shot I ever made with a bow was again on a Woodchuck at slightly over 60 yards, it was memorable as  the arc of the arrows flight and time it took to get to the Chuck from release to hit was visually quite a thrill.

Al

2019-06-03_064828.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Bow.....shortest.... one foot from the tip of the broadhead, from the ground. Longest, 37 yards.

Gun......shortest....five feet, again from the ground. Longest, 135 yards with an Ithaca Deerslayer 2, with two and three quarter inch Remington Copper Solids.

In the few years I've been hunting with a rifle, longest shot was last years buck at 60 yards.

Shortest was 5 yards on a buck that was on a dead run coming right at me chasing a doe while I was sitting on the ground against a tree. It was the only running deer I have ever shot at. Longest was about 75 yards on my first buck. 

Not really sure on shortest - under 10yds.  Longest was around 240-250 but I did have to shoot twice as I cleaned missed first shot low then settled cross hairs on back.  I really prefer shot under 100yds with the gun and under 30yds with the bow.  Longest bow kill was between 30-35.

38 minutes ago, grampy said:

Bow.....shortest.... one foot from the tip of the broadhead, from the ground. Longest, 37 yards.

Gun......shortest....five feet, again from the ground. Longest, 135 yards with an Ithaca Deerslayer 2, with two and three quarter inch Remington Copper Solids.

In the few years I've been hunting with a rifle, longest shot was last years buck at 60 yards.

Almost all of my rifle kills have been in bow range lol. The first year we had rifle I shot a buck inside of 15 yards and coming closer

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, grampy said:

My 870 loved the copper solids... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

The better question may be, what is the shortest shot you missed?  lol

When I was 17, I had my first small buck walk out in front of me at like 15 yards. I had buck fever so bad. I shot 3 times missing him every time. Funny thing is I was using a H&R single and he just stood there and just let me reload that gun. I guess after the third time he caught on. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, rob-c said:

When I was 17, I had my first small buck walk out in front of me at like 15 yards. I had buck fever so bad. I shot 3 times missing him every time. Funny thing is I was using a H&R single and he just stood there and just let me reload that gun. I guess after the third time he caught on. 

At least with a gun, it was last year.  I had a doe at 50yds, rested in a blind.  Missed.  Shot again, another clean miss.  Then realized I may never have sighted in the scope on my 220 after swapping it over the summer.  Thought I did but clearly it was way off.   My daughter and I just watched her walk away.   Lesson learned.  Hunted with my ML rest of the gun season.  I did sight in the 220 since then. 

• Like 1

Longest 505 yards on an antelope through the top of his heart and some lungage. Shortest probably under 10 yards for turkey.

Editor's note: pictured with Mr. 505

d3897fa54dc193b3e3042521d2d25f71.jpg&key=c5f2f7ca1c39dd807619bbea1a6cb58fce12dbfcdc74c30097ec868384e2446d

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just now, The Jerkman said:

Longest 505 yards on an antelope through the top of his heart and some lungage. Shortest probably under 10 yards for turkey.d3897fa54dc193b3e3042521d2d25f71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Did you go to the Biz school of marksmanship?  That is a poke for us NE-ers.